iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbors

Started by Peter Drouin, May 24, 2017, 06:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav

I think the owl is making sure no rodents raid the sunflower seed pile....under the threat of becoming "pellet"-ized!!

Bruno of NH

The owls are hungry this time of year it hard for them to get food with this much snow.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

I have a bunch of hawks too. 

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nativewolf

@Peter Drouin Yes indeed owls do eat squirrels.  Good to hear from you and thanks for sharing the pics of your neighbors.  

Liking Walnut

Mooseherder

My favorite Birds are Hawks followed by Owls being a close second.

rjwoelk

When I was farming it was always interesting watching hawks on the prowl behind the equipment. During haying it was catch and fly away, feed the young i suspect and be back shortly.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

We visited Amish country some years back and they were tilling the ground in the Spring for planting. The farmers were using big draft horses and standing on a sled driving them as they turned the fields for the first time of the year. All I saw had a small dog following along. I figure they were catching any moles, shrews or nests of baby rabbits the farmer turned up.

I remember rabbit hunting with a pack of beagles in NW Fla as a teenager and a big hawk joined in. He parked himself on a convenient limb to watch the action. I figured he knew we would have the rabbits moving and exposed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I see alot of hawks. They like to perch on top of my bluebirds houses. >:(  
I have seen a hawk work the fields here. They fly low and I don't think it missed 3 feet of that field. Kinda like a grid is how he did it. I stood and watched it do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

It is fun to watch them cfarm.
How things over there? I think mud season is here. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

You are a little bit South of me. The only mud I have is the dirt road going to my house. I have a lttle bit showing up in my driveway. This is the first year for that. Most years it will melt down to the dirt. This year was only a little bit. But the roads are posted now.  I suspect in a few weeks where I cut my wood will be a small pond.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

We always like to think of hawks and such diving bombing their prey at great speed but I remember watching one on the edge of a marsh by the pistol range when I was in USMC at CLNC. It looked to be about 15-20 ft off the ground and watching below real closely. After a while he just nonchalantly hopped off the limb and just sort of floated to the ground then a few seconds later flew back up with a big old marsh rat in his claws. Nothing fancy or exciting just hopped off and floated down onto his unsuspecting target. Hey, whatever works!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I use to have guinea hens. One day those things was making a racket. The dog got down there before I did. I looked and looked for something wrong. Must of been early spring,because I looked up in the trees and saw a hawk. The guineas were doing thier job.
Many years ago on the dirt road I came up over a small knoll and there was a small hawk with a grey squirrel. Probably road killed. There was tall trees on each side of the road. I was gaining on him!! Finally he dumped his lunch and went up high. I just kept going and let him come back to his lunch. But was kinda neat seeing it at eye level.

Southside

Yesterday morning my Guineas went absolutely nuts, I walked outside to see what the issue was, wish I had looked up first as there was a mature bald eagle perched in a walnut maybe 50' from the back door.  He left about the time I got halfway to the tree.... :'(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

He was eating something.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

He's Back.  8) 8) :D :D :D :D

The bear doesn't like the mud. Two steps in and backs up. Must be a sow. A bore would love the mud and walk right through it.
See the track above my hat, That's coyote tracks.

There big around here.

Waiting for them to show. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

No tracks,but I should of taken a picture of the what the bird feeder is mounted on. It was at about a 70° angle. The bear is back. I am bringing in the feeders each night. Not much for the poor things to eat,this time of year.

Peter Drouin

I have neighbors tell me they have seen the bear and it looks skinny. Last year bears where climbing W oak trees breaking off the branches for the acorns. Not waiting for them to drop to the ground.
Quite a thing to see trees in the woods with brush piles around the trees. 
I wonder how the trees will do this year.
Well, the way things are I'm going to keep food out for everyone. ;D
My hummingbirds are back. Have 4 feeders out.

Now that 's a trouble maker. :rifle:
Take care Cfarm.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Tastes like a cross between a coon and a squirrel.
Howard Green

WDH

Don't care that much about either one.  Ate coon once.  Ate squirrel many times, but that was many times many long time ago. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

My little Boo-Boo would hunt them critters down!!! First time I saw him kill one,he was a changed dog. His terrier instinct kicked in full bore. 

Peter Drouin

A little guy. 

Ate most of it.  The last of the food is going out, Then I'm done. That bear will get big and I can't have him hanging around. 
Can you imagine the look on a customer's face when, if he came out of the woods to say Hi.
Cfarm, Dose that bear look skinny to you?

A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Can't say on the skinny part. Keep feeding them and that will add some weight.  :D  I have only seen 2 bears in my whole life. One about 500 feet away,running and than one close to the house.

Peter Drouin

I have them all over here in town.
One time I had 3 in the yard at the same time.  ::) :D :D

Wake up boy.  :D :D :D

they like my bees too. Just have to be smarter than the bear.

They bite too.  ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I've been bringing in the suet,baltimore orioles and bird feeders in each night. Will do that for about 2 weeks than I will try to leave them out all night. Most times if there is other food for the bear to eat,they leave the feeders alone.

samandothers

Miss the whippoorwills and chuck wills widow as well as Bob whites.

Great pictures Peter.

Thank You Sponsors!