iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon chain

Started by 6sunset6, January 18, 2012, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6sunset6

A while ago I got an Oregon chain for my Sthil 026   Put it on today   too short    All the numbers are correct.
I guess I should count the links.   Anybody else have an issue like this?   IF it is short a link is it worth it to take it to a saw shop and get a link added?

beenthere

"is it worth it?"

What say you? Not much good if it is too short so...;)

Maybe check if the seller knows it doesn't fit and exchange it for one that does. What were the "numbers" for what you rec'd?  Something must not be "correct".

Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

Not a big issue guy, have somebody add a link or 2, or swap for the right driver count.   8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

Quote from: 6sunset6 on January 18, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
A while ago I got an Oregon chain for my Sthil 026   Put it on today   too short    All the numbers are correct.
I guess I should count the links.   Anybody else have an issue like this?   IF it is short a link is it worth it to take it to a saw shop and get a link added?
the 026 sthil uses one more driver than a husky that size

6sunset6

I just counted drive links on the Oregon chain and a new Stihl chain    .325 pitch, 67 drive links.    Both numbers correct on both chains.   However  the stihl chain is  very slightly longer  tooth to tooth. Over 67 links
Never mind   I think I found it. The Oregon chain had a one link  frozen at an up angle .   I don't know why I did not see it on the saw.   Resulted in 1/4   link short .  I hope .  Two chains sitting on top of each other on the kitchen table seem to be the same. I will post again if it is still a problem. 

John Mc

Aren't the stihl chains "prestretched"? If so, that might account for the slightly longer link spacing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Clam77

Don't think they are John... atleast I've never had one that was.  They all stretch a little eventually..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

John Mc

I though tomeone on here once said that that was why Stihl chains did not stretch as much when new...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

I will wager that the stuck link is where it was joined. Somebody got careless.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

They just spun it too tight .Put it in a vise and straighten it out .Put it on the saw and run it .BTW there isn't any difference in the  lengths  no matter who made it unless it's from some third world country .67 drivers is 67 drivers .

JohnG28

JohnMc, I've run Stihl and WoodlandPro (Carlton I believe) and I do think the the Stihl chain stretched less, at least initially. I'm not in any kind of production though, just small time. Like the WoodlandPro just as much though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

:D Baileys had a sale a couple years back on Woodland pro so I bought a half dozen loops .Not paying attention to what I was doing I filed them like I do Oregon 72 with a compound angle .

Good heavens I could have cut faster with the chain on backwards .Frustrated I about gave because I know how to file a chain or thought I did .Good ole Frank W .aka Crofter showed me the error of my ways  in with  that tooth design it files like Stihl at 90 degrees top instead of 10 up .Live and learn they say .

As for Oregon I've used it for years with no problem .Stihl markets better chain regarding length of service but it costs twice as much .Probabley a toss up in cost  when you figure length of service .

Al_Smith

Tid bit of info on this .I'm told the process Oregon uses to assemble the chain is to assemble everything then grind as assembled .

Stihl I'm told grinds the cutters first then assembles the chain .

Couple years back Baileys had a bunch of .404 Oregon round chisel that wasn't quite up to par right out of the box .Cut okay just not as fast as normal .After a few filings like most chain however it came in and did just fine .

John Mc

Al -

I did the same thing with the Woodland Pro - sharpening to Oregon specs. I suffered through about half the life of the chain before I figured it out. It was probably a post here on FF that tipped me off to check out the sharpening specs. I would not have figured it made that much of a difference until I experienced it.

John Mc

lumberjack48

I've used Oregon, Stihl, and Carlton chain, they all cut very good when filed right I never knew there was a difference in specs, but then I'm not using a grinder, hand filing by eye ball, by my specs.
I've never used the Woodland Pro, it must have a little different profile cutter, interesting.  :P
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!