iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why do you do Safety?

Started by Samuel, May 25, 2009, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel

Was reading a few posts on here this morning, specifically the working alone one while felling and it sort of disturbed me to think about "why we do safety to begin with".  Do we do it for the government?  DO we do it for the boss?  I actually do it for my kids, so I can come home every night, be with them and hope that someone else does not have to bring them up for me because I did something stupid, or became too complaisant.

Anyhow..enough of my rant for now.  I had this safety video made last spring on our wood operations.  Have a look and let me know what you think and weigh in on the topic of safety.

http://www.dmi.ca/about_dmi/dmi_in_alberta/prpd/media_gallery/dmi_safety_awareness.html
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Jeff

Samuel, I enjoyed watching that.  :) Doing any hiring?  :)  I know I would want to work for a company that makes the time and effort to produce a safety video of that quality.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Heywood

Thanks for putting this well done video up.

Tombstone

Nice job on that and good info!
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Part_Timer

I'll watch the video in the morning at work on the high speed connection but I would like to give my thoughts on safety.

We have lots of rules, procedures,  and SOP's at work.  In the electrical shop we have one rule that stands above all others.
"Everyone slow down, think about what your doing, and go home to your family in the same condition or better than the condition you came into work in."
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Samuel

I was at an incident investigation course this past month and the speaker said the #1 rule to follow in safety and as silly as it may sound is "Don't touch the spinny thing!"

If we can make safty that simple, it will be easy to succeed however without the engagement of your employees, it will never be successful.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
Software Solutions-

DanG

I wish I could see the video.  Maybe someday. ::)

I attended an awful lot of safety meetings in my 34 years with the phone company, and safety talk wasn't just confined to those meetings.  I always found that the ones that included a little humor were the most memorable, thus the most effective.  That warning about "the spinny thing" reminds me of a line an instructor used in a class about fiber optics.  He held up a piece of fiber with a connector on the end and said, "Bet you're wondering what's in here, aren't you?  Well, I'll tell you so you won't have to look.  Just inside this little hole here is a little tiny sign that says, 'Do not look in here with remaining eye'."  It made everybody chuckle, and that made everybody remember to keep those things pointed away from their face.  No amount of hammering could have driven that nail as effectively.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I don't have high speed either. But, enough of you that do have seen the video so well done.  ;)

On our PCT operations on public land they are big on safety and a lot of us have first aid training. No one is allowed to cut brush unless there are a least three fellas working on site. We have information to reach the gatehouse of the forest license holder to inform them of any accident and to get an ambulance. We have to cut clear safety trails between work strips, makes nice walking paths to get to the back of your strip to. Some work strips can be up to 600 m long, mostly under 400 meters. Gas jugs and saws have to be secured and outside of vehicles when traveling.

I can tell ya for sure, I always think safety and before working on public lands to. You gotta look after number 1. Even as a first aider, who is number 1? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Samuel

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 29, 2009, 08:51:46 PM
Yeah, I don't have high speed either. But, enough of you that do have seen the video so well done.  ;)

No high speed...OMG how do you survive...

Safety is and should be a high priority on everyones list these days...  maybe thats why this transition to helping forest companies setting up Safety Management Systems has been a good move for me to do in the evenings after my day job is complete...   :D
Software Solutions-

SwampDonkey

Depends on when the day begins I suppose. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!