iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got nailed!

Started by PC-Urban-Sawyer, December 28, 2006, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC-Urban-Sawyer

It's embarassing to admit but perhaps someone else will remember this post and avoid a simular accident.

I was assembling a small framework of two by fours on my driveway using a pneumatic nailgun. I was holding one of the pieces against the other and the gun shot a "double" moving slightly between the two shots. The second nail went through the edge of the wood and came to rest embedded in the palm of my hand. Heres a picture of the nail and my hand:

And here's a picture showing the puncture wounds:

Thankfully there was no major damage done although things are still pretty sore.

Just remember, never put ANY part of your body in front of the barrel of the gun, even if you think you're safe.

submarinesailor

OUCH!!!  :o :o :o

This is why I don't have mine with the bump trigger in them.  IMHO they double shoot too easily with the bump trigger.

While working as a super on a major construction site, I had 2 south of the border gentlemen, standing on top of 2 different building shooting 3 ½ framers at each other.  The framing foremen did not like it when I barred them from the site. 

Hope you heal up fine.

Bruce

fstedy

;) :o :-[ Been there done that  !  :-[ :o ;)
Last year I was building a Shed for resale and while framing a wall out on the deck the nailgun doubled fired on me when bump nailing. It jumped over about 1 1/2" and came thru the top plate and got my middle finger between the first and second knuckle joints. I don't know how but it went in on an angle missed the bone and tendons and the nail tip just broke the skin on the other side of my finger just below the bone. When you do it you just wonder for the first few seconds to what have you done DUMMY and then begin to acess the damage. You tend to get complacent when using some tools and the nailgun can be one of them. BE CAREFUL and aware of where your body parts are when using tools.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Raider Bill

Glad there is no real damage! Could have been worse for sure. Watch for infection. Happened to my buddy same way, he woke up 2 days later and his hand was the size of a baseball mitt.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TexasTimbers

Can't count the times I have shot myself, a worker, and been shot by a worker.
The worst was when I was working alone, as I prefer to do, and pressing against the top of a cripple stud against a king stud to get the bow out of it, and toenailed the shot too close to the edge and sink it in my shoulder. Just barely caught the edge of the board so when I jumped of the ladder as a reaction the nail came with me. It hurt.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

scsmith42

This sounds familiar...

Three years ago I was building a stud wall for the machine shed out of 2 x 6's.  Had it flat on the ground, and was nailing the studs to the plate.  Coming back from lunch, had just had a slight tiff with the wife about something (long forgotten), and went back to work while I was mad.  The plate had a slight bow in it, so I was trying to force it against the bottom of the stud (my hand on the stud and my knee on the plate), and I bumped the gun against the upper edge of the plate and shot a 3-1/2" ring shank nail over the side of the plate and right into my hand.  The nail went in parallel to the palm - about 3-1'4" worth, but fortunately did not hit a tendon or a bone.

The doc pulled it out with a pair of vise grips.  I swear that I felt every ridge on that ring shank nail as it was coming out! 

Talk about lucky!  I ended up with a healthy respect for nailguns, and a vow to never again work while I was mad.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pasbuild

Iv worked with nail guns for 30+ years and never have shoot myself (knock on wood) shoot just about everybody I worked with BUT NEVER MYSELF smiley_hardhat2 smiley_smug01
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Quartlow

note to self, never let pasbuild have the nail gun when working with him  :D

I did that one framing up a wall that was laying on the deck. Holding a 2x4 in place I shot a nail through the base plate. it hit a not and shot out at an angle right through the web between my thumb and forefinger. Effectivly nailing myself to the wall.  :D Hurt like the dickens sliding it off
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

TexasTimbers

Smith I bet the missus told ya it served ya right.  :D  ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

chet

I've been told by an anonymous source, dat it really hurts when ya inadvertently  screw yerself ta somethin' too.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

submarinesailor

Ok Chet – you're not going to get off that easily.   :) :) :)

Give it up.  ??? ??? ???

How and what did you screw yourself too? ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

SPIKER

I've come close to nailing myself with them too.   :o   I put a double bounced nail right over the back of my thumb scratched it good and flung off and almost got my brother working on other end of stud wall in the eye. !  luckily it was about 2" lower . hit him in his cheek...

it has been a few similar items of near misses, usually the end studs and or cripple studs...  same as others attempting to hold a twisted/bowed stud/plate inline...  I usually use my foot as much as I can now, with good boots which have almost been nailed down once or twice too ;) ::)

My brother has screwed his figure a couple times (drywall hanger & finisher 30 years now) as well as a few other things... (not like that) hahah ;)   also cut through his thumb nail which never healed right going on 10 years now and it splits right up center all the time bleeding because of scar in the nail bed the nail won't grow right. :(   he did that here at my womans house when we re-did the drywall due to roof leak...   he also sliced into back of his thumb across the tendon almost really did that one in!  it seems to be ok now...
Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scsmith42

Kevin - I think that my wife was more freaked out about it than I was.  Mainly I was anoyed because I should have known better, and worried that something may have been damaged inside my hand.

My only regret (if it had to happen) is that I didn't take a photo - my hand looked like Frankenstein's neck!

Don P

You married a nice lady   ;D.
I shot myself in mid tiff and was instructed not to bleed on the woodwork  :D.

Bone and tendon aren't too awful usually. Bone is sort of like wood, usually enough give to just poke a hole. It'll sure ring your bells though. A friend got the median nerve in his hand and made a mess, several years since surgery and it is still weak. Be careful  :)

maple flats

I haven't used a nail gun in almost 30 years and then didn't shoot myself BUT a new worker was helping me in a moter home factory building doors and drawers for the cabinets. We used a miter saw to cut the pieces and pnuematic staplers attached the trim to the outer edge of the faces along with glue. I was working along and noticed the young helper was just standing there so I reminded him he was paid for piecework. He said he couldn't move. I asked why and it turned out he had stapled (1 1/8" staples) his thumb to the work bench I cut the staple off at the bench and sent him to get the attention he needed, funny thing, he never returned to work.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Part_Timer

If we're going to tell horor stories I'm gona tell on Katie.

Her dad and I came back to the house one afternoon to find Katie sitting on the steps crying and rocking back and forth cursing under her breath.  I ran up the sidewalk to find out what was wrong and she proceded to hold her hand up and show me veneer strips off an interior door that were shoved under her fingernail all the way to the back of the nail bed.UGHHHHHHHHH

Seems that she tried to grab the cat to punish it for crapping on the floor and missed and hit the door with her finger nail.  Well she starts yelling at me to pull them out.   UGHHHHHH not in this life time so I take her into the emergency room and the nurse come in with her typical smug "oh do we have a splinter"  well one look at Katies finger and she's running for the doc going UGHHHHHHHH.  Well the doc comes in with "oh do we have a splinter" and about pees his pants when he shines the light up under her finger.
Well about an hour later katie is splinterless and we're on our way home.

The funny part about the whole thing is the fact that everyone of us who saw her and crossed our legs to keep from peeing ourselves including everyone at the hospital.  Needless to say Katie don't try to grab the cat anymore.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DanG

Them's some scary stories all right, but I think this one takes the cake.  I just read in This Old House magazine that some pore bloke slipped while working on a roof.  He managed to avoid falling off the roof, but in the process he nailed his left testicle to the roof. :o :o :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thurlow

So what was holding him on the roof?  Was it that one nail? :o :o  Maybe that was the only alternative to falling? :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

ellmoe

Along Dang's story line... an employee of a fencing customer of mine stapled part of himself to his thigh. :o   I think he reinstalled the safety after that!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Part_Timer

UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH

That top's em all right.  Man that sure would make for a bad day.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

scsmith42

DanG - that's a major league bad day for sure.

Furby

To think some folks pay for those kind of piercings. :-X

johnjbc

In High school shop class they had an anvil setting on the work bench. One of the seniors was showing off lifting the anvil. He was short and stocky, just the right height for what happened. ::)
He picked the anvil up and the weight pulled him toward the bench. A fold in the front of his jeans flopped on top of the bench just before the anvil slammed down on it.smiley_smash
He was off school for a week and would never tell anyone what happened smiley_crying
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Phorester

A local roofer was nailing plywood sheets over rafters.  Was sitting on one with his legs spread nailing between his legs.  You know what's coming, right?  From what I understand, he didn't have a good grip on the nailgun, and it bounced toward him after nailing one nail, hit and  nailed his right testicle to the roof. Had to have what was left of it surgically removed.  He passed out from the pain before the rescue squad got there.  I still cringe when I think about that.

OneWithWood

Oh, DanG!@!!

I did not need to read that  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!