iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Truck. I think...

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2007, 11:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tillaway sent me these photos to post. Apparently the guy was not in the truck and didnt set his parking break. ALl I got was this with the photos:

Washington DNR sale in Eastern Washington  State.  Looks like the load came through the headache rack and took out the cab. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

We had better hope he was not in the cab. :o What was he doing out of the truck without the parking brake on?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

WOW is what I said when I saw these.Good thing another truck wasn't coming the other way.That is some scary!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

Is that the load there in front of the truck? :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Ouch, Ouch and more Ouch  :'(
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Carries-Mom

can't believe he didn't set the parking brake...it'll be a while before he's back in business.. move_it

rebocardo

Wow!

I have always thought those headache racks on logging trucks would never stop a load in an accident, especially without any triangle bracing. Now I know.

Tillaway

I don't know much.  The photos came from a friends brother who is a forester in that area.  The drivers usually stop and tighten wrappers on thier loads once they get to a better road.  Evidently the brake didn't work or something.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ron Wenrich

Evidently the load wasn't tied down.  I don't see any trace of either chains or straps.  They're not on the trailer bed or on the road.  There's more to this story than not having the brake set. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Burlkraft

Maybe that's why he was stopped...To chain up.. ???  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Furby

Looks like the load and anything worth saving was already removed before the pics were taken.

Despite what many belive, the headache racks will not stop a full load.
Neither will straps or chains.
I can't begin to tell you how offten I see the aftermath of rollovers and such and there is no way a half dozen chains can hold a 40k pound roll of steel on a trailer or keep a load of steel, logs or some such thing from sliding foward in a head on.
Between the rigging and the weight of the load, the idea is to keep the load from moving around, but there is no real way to 100% secure a load to a trailer under the laws of physics that are involved here.

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on July 03, 2007, 08:27:33 PM
Looks like the load and anything worth saving was already removed before the pics were taken.

I dont think so. Look at picture three. Thats the load strung out in the line ahead of the truck.  To flatten the truck that bad the logs had to have some velocity. Thats them in the photo I'll bet.

Furby

No, I think those and the loose dirt are what brought it to a stop.

Onthesauk

Wondered about that this last week.  Passed a semi load of rebar.  No headache rack but had all his tarps folded and stuck behind the cab.  Wondered if they would even slow that stuff down if he came to a immediate stop.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

I cant think of a single reason why those logs would be decked there along that road like that. What brought it to a stop was that the logs went through its brain and it decided not to be a truck any longer

Furby

Why are there logs waaay behind the truck then ???

Reddog

Quote from: Furby on July 03, 2007, 09:33:01 PM
Why are there logs waaay behind the truck then ???

They are all infront of it, By two or three lenghts.

Furby

Look again. There are logs along the road way behind the truck.
There's a chance that they may have been loading up logs along the road.
See the slash pile in that pic Reddog?

Also, the one log is just in front of the bumper.

Reddog

Yep the big log is just in front. But most of the time on that style rig you load the largest logs on the bottom. So it had the hardest time getting over the cab.
Yes I agree there is a log deck down the road. But if you notice the logs are perpindicular to the road in the deck. That is because you use a heal loader on a hoe or a loader truck, and swing the tail in first, butt towards the cab.
And the logs are to long to come out of the woods and turn to stack with the road.

So the ones laying with the road most likely came from the truck, right over the cab.

The headace rack is just to keep the loader guy from knocking out the rear window every trip. ;D

Jeff

What makes you think they all came off the same place?

Furby

Well, there is a curve in the road back there.
For the logs to have slide as far as you see in the pic, assuming they did, a pretty fair amount of speed was involved.
The curve and the speed makes me think the truck would have rolled rather then just lost a couple of logs back there.
Gut feeling, and my gut's been right waaaay to offten recently. ;)

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on July 03, 2007, 10:12:07 PM
a pretty fair amount of speed was involved.

Well DUH Furby. :D   Look at the truck.  :)

Tillaway

My first impression is that only one log of the load remains.  Looking at the size of the one in front of the truck there may have been only been six or eight logs on it.

They never chain the logs to the truck or trailer, the reach on the trailer telscopes in and out and pivots independent of the load.  They wrap all the logs together in a bundle.  They usually load, throw on the wrappers, drive a ways and stop and retighten them.  My guess he was tightening when it got away.

There are two different landings in the photos.

A final thought is that the loads usually are required to be delivered to the mill the day the load ticket is filled out.  Truck wrecks usually have the loads put on another truck and not decked along the road again.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Reddog

Here is a good one pulling out a west coast truck.
It gives you an idea what the truck kinda looked like before.
They have disabled the embed code. So that is why it is a link.

Log truck over hill

beenthere

That was a heavy load to drag outta there.
Thanks for that link, Reddog
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!