iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil filters

Started by RMay, April 22, 2003, 08:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMay

I was wondering what everyone was paying for oil filters for 25 horse kohler engines on the W-M mills .I priced a Wick oil filter today and it was 13.00 dollars at O,Reilly's  :(.Dose anyone have the part no. on a Fram. I can buy Frams from WalMark for 3 dollars if I had the part no. :) WalMarks parts book is only for cars & lite trucks .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Tom

I had that problem too.  I got on the Fram website and wrote an email asking for the numbers for my engines for my mills, mowers, splitter and tractors because Wal-Mart wouldn't give me the number.  Fram sent me catalogs. My wife has since put them in a "safe" place and I've no idea where they are or I'd look the number up for you. :-/

Kevin_H.

copy the 800 # for fram off one of the boxes and give them a call...Thats how I got the #'s for my 24 hp onan.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kevin_H.

If you go to www.fram.com and go to the online parts catalog, they have a cross ref. page, you may be able to cross the wix # and get what you need.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

hydeoutman

Hey guys: Good thread and discussions on subject. Filtration is my business. The link to the test was an excellent read. I have know for years that most oil filters are junk. If you want to protect your equipment purchase by-pass filters. I have a 1991 Chevy truck with 235,000 miles and have only changed oil maybe 10 times. Oil never wears out it only gets dirty. Oil you purchase in the can is dirty, lots of particles above 10 microns which cause wear. If you look at what industry does to protect servo valves you will see that they need to clean new oil prior to using it, a servo requires 3 micron filtration or better. Also most by-pass filters not only remove dirt but also remove moisture which will prevent rusting in your system.

RMay

Thanks everyone for the info . hydeoutman could you enlighten us what a by-pass filter is  :)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Fla._Deadheader

Boy am I glad that someone else asked that question. Dint wanna show my iggerense. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

MrMoo

From what I read on the link someone provided a by pass filter is one that has a valve in it. The valve is activated if the filter becomes too clogged up and the oil can no longer flow thru it. The study also mentioned it would become activated in cold weather when the motor was first started and the oil is pretty thick.

hydeoutman

By-pass filtration works by taking a small portion of the total flow and filtering it to very fine micron levels, most by-pass filters are and adjunct to the OEM filter. Do not remove the original OEM filter, it usually has a spring loaded by-pass inside to allow oil to flow even when the filter is plugged. A by-pass filter will stop flowing when it is plugged.For example your car filter will usually be in by-pass within 2,000 miles, so after that you are not getting any filtering capability, until you change the filter. The biggest need for these filters are for diesel operations, because most of the engines will leak coolant into the oil and cause sludging. A good by-pass filter will remove this coolant by absorption. If you check the larger over the road truckers, you will notice a large chrome canister on the side of the truck, this is the by-pass filter. Some of the canisters may be the air filter, but most truckers will have a by-pass filter. On vehicles you could run anywhere from 30 to 50,000 miles between oil changes. I change mine when the filter feels cool during operation, this indicates no oil flow.

for larger rigs here is a couple of sites.
http://www.comoindustrial.com/
http://www.harvardcorp.com/apps.htm

for smaller units
http://www.oilguard.com/

MrMoo

Well so much for what I thought a bypass filter was. Ya learn somethin everyday on the forum. Thanks hydeoutman.

hydeoutman

MrMoo you are welcome. I have been involved since 1965 with filtration. Have worked for a couple of the larger fortune 500 companies studing various oil, water and chemical filtration equipment and so I have seen most of the gimmicks over the years, but I will say one thing, Good filtration of oil really works, it may cost a few silver pennies to put them on your equipment but the payoff is tremendous. I would never own a piece of equipment without installing one. Thanks, I hope a few of the forum gents will give it a try. Any time you have questions on filters just post em, be glad to assist.

hydeoutman

MrMoo

Hydeoutman,
I'll keep you in mind when it comes to filtration questions.
I have to agree with you on having one on an engine. I do not feel scrimping on a filter is the right thing to do. When you consider the cost of of the filter verses the cost of an engine or the fact that poor filtration my shorten the life span of the engine its a no brainer to spend money on the filter.
Mike

Tom

Yep, it's good to have someone with an interest in these things on the forum.  The general public really has nothing to judge a filter by other than price and marketing BS.  The same goes for oil, gas and diesel too. If you want to buy a stove or refrigerator there is a lot of consumer documentation.You can even do a pretty good job with tires but not fuel and lubricants.

RMay

I emailed Fram with the Kohler 25 horse oil filter no. and they email me back there Fram no. it is PH7575 8)

Thank You Sponsors!