iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw tooth

Started by coxy, October 02, 2016, 06:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

is there different tooth pitch to put on a circle saw for cutting different kinds of wood

bandmiller2

Coxy, there are different styles of bits that may do better in certain species of wood but most bits come with the optimum pitch in the bit. I'am far from an authority the matter but I've never heard of a sawyer altering the bits pitch to customize it for a species. On the other hand many sawyers alter their bits pitch unintentionally to the detriment of efficient sawing, when they file. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

Id say the short answer is no. The long answer is a sawyer can and sometimes do alter their teeth to make a saw "steer" with a saw that is not running the way it should, but this would not involve the pitch, but the angle.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

Gearbox

Seems to me I remember  teeth for sawing frozen hardwood .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Jeff

You would be thinking of standalls, but it is not the pitch of the tooth that is different, is it the make up of the shank of the tooth that changes the gullet configuration, helping to expel the sawdust rather than have it refreeze within the gullets.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gearbox

Thanks Jeff .I haven't sawed in the winter for years . Bad enough to get help when it is nice out . Green end of a mill is hard work .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!