iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Think It's a Good Question

Started by Terry, September 30, 2006, 07:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Here's a picture of q-sawn beech that Brian Bailey used when he made Patty's jewelry chest. Pretty stuff.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks, Norm, for the second hand pic.

That's just the ray pattern I was trying to explain.

Perty!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

WH_Conley

I cut a good  beech and let it spalt for a year then paneled the living room with it, that was before I found this site or I would have let it sit longer. Made very pretty multi-colored paneling.
Bill

Terry

Life's a Beech. HE HE   This is what I like about this site. Someone has either done it, going to do it, or knows someone that has. The grain of that wood looks great. Lots of idea's. Sawed my first logs this week. Started out with a small red, then did a 8' x 28" red (oak). My wife got tired of hearing me say after every cut---Wow, that's a beautiful board. It was the tree that had been standing dead for a year. It did saw a little harder but the lumber looked great. Got a bunch of 1" slabs for sheating the outside of the mill shed. Oh yea, Quarter sawed the whole thing. I think I read that quarter sawn lumber is less likely to warp, is that correct?
Life is short---Live It !!!

DanG

Good deal, Terry!  Was your Norwood already assembled, or did you get it done that quickly?

Ain't it fun exposing all that beauty?  I hope you never lose the excitement of enjoying the first look at a pretty board. 8) :) :) :)

Quartersawn lumber will still move, just in a different direction.  It is less likely to cup than flat-sawn boards, but more likely to bow or crook while drying.  Once it is dry, it is considered to be more stable.  IMHO, the major difference is in the appearance, and I prefer the look of flat-sawn most of the time.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Terry

Thank's Dang, tried calling you back the other morning. I figured you were busy hauling those logs. The saw came in a gazillin boxes. Had to put it together, every nut and bolt. Track, head assy. the whole thing. They have done their homework. It went together without a single hitch. Did it in 13 hours. Having done all the assy., I now know my saw inside and out. I am learning that this is as a must. Of course I have to thank some friends. Started out with the Norwood blades(1.25" x 144"--.042---7/8)  Bought the Simonds (Red Streak) and used it on that seasoned, red oak. Wow, what a much better blade. Has more body to it.
Life is short---Live It !!!

Thank You Sponsors!