iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Eyed Peas for good luck

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 03, 2008, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

How many folks had Blackeyed peas for good luck on new years?

We did. We had a bumper crop this year and have about 70 quarts frozen. I will have them as often as Celest will let me ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ely

was supposed to have , but i had a big pot of shrimp boiled up with potatoes and corn, so i ate too much of that along with the smoked pig we had. when i came to the peas i lost out on that. i had them the next day though, doe sthat count.

J.Hercules

:)We cook up a big pot of hoppin john,( blackeyed peas, ham, rice and plenty of seasonings) for luck every year and then you just gotta have the greens, this year mustard greens for plentiful $ and for the kicker our freind brought a bushel of oysters to roast for good  8). 
Jim

scgargoyle

Had black-eyed peas, simmered with the bone that came out of a pork shoulder I smoked all day New Year's Eve. So we had pulled pork, peas, greens, and cornbread. Kind of a tradition for us.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

LeeB

What's behind the tradition of blackeyes for good luck? I know that cabbage or greens represent money, what about the peas?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I tried to solicit some info on black eyed peas but everyone turned shy in here.  :D

Mustard greens? All kinds grows wild, but I never had any on my plate. My grandmother used to eat spring dandilion greens. Oh well we've got fiddle heads (Ostrich Fern). ;)

We have lobster sandwiches Christmas Eve and sometimes New Years. Having mine this weekend, a little late. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

The peas represent the coins. The greens represent the greenback dollars

One story is that the crops of peas, corn and greens were ignored by Shermans troops as being unfit for human consumption so they were left in the fields without being destroyed.  These crops fed the South through the end of the war and reconstruction.

SwampDonkey

I wonder what he was eating that was so good?  ::)

Are those peas canned or are they dried like a bean? About all you'd need to add to those crops for sustenance would be a piece of meat.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Fresh, frozen, dried, canned, they're good however you store them. You can survive quite well on the afore mentioned crop by their selves, but a little smoked pork in the mix, be it bacon, ham, or a hock makes sure 'nuff good eating.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Even the natives new they had to have some meat with the corn. But beans and peas have protein for sure. I know of a lot of folks even up here in the tundra that lived on beans and mollases and pork fat. Maybe a piece of deer meat to, bread was a luxury. Oat meal was another staple.

WDH

We had pork, black-eyed peas, collard greens, and corn bread.  It was might fine, especially a big piece of crumbled-up corn bread covered with black-eyed peas (with plenty of that thick pea juice!).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I dont know if the Black Eyed peas are even still together since Fergie went Solo.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

They didn't have much without her anyways. :)

CHARLIE

I fixed a big cast iron Dutch oven with blackeyed peas, a smoked hambone and then ladled it over rice. I like to put raw onions on it too. Then some cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet in the oven and some collards. I'm all set for 2008! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ScottAR

I like my black eye peas with onions and some red pepper flakes...
Let's you know your alive.  Cabbage, and some hog jowel.  We had
spare ribs too just to make sure it took.   ;D 

I forgot, Cornbread made with buttermilk.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

Were you guys getting all tucked in for a New Years afternoon sawing? I feel stuffed just reading it.  ;D ;)

Patty

I am not even sure what blackeyed peas are. Could someone please take a picture?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Furby

No comment, I'll get sent to the wood shed. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I Certanly did NOT have them for dinner! :o

Jeff

Weekend_Sawyer

Tonight we are having some friends over to make Pizzas and watch a movie but before they get there I'm going to have some leftover blackeyed peas and rice!
8) 8)

Jon

Tom

I like to dice up about a half of a stalk of celery in my blackeyes.  The top of the stalk is more flavorful and sweetens the peas a bit.  You don't put in a lot, just enough that folks say, "what is that?'.

I like a dash of cayenne in it too.  That's a leftover from my Aunt Mary, who put a dash of cayenne in or one almost everything.  Not enought to taste, just enough to know something else is in the pot.

I've got a pot of blackeyes going now.  I'm using the same ham bone that I cooked the limas in the other day.  Lots of pot-likker and I might make some rice too. :)

Mooseherder

Quote from: Jeff on January 04, 2008, 12:09:56 AM
I dont know if the Black Eyed peas are even still together since Fergie went Solo.
I think she is now wit da Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Mike_P.

Every New Years day we have pork (barbeque this year), sauerkraut, blackeyed peas and rice, collards.  This year we added kielbasa and tossed salad.

All the kids, grandkids who live locally, along with some other relatives (20+) show up and we have a great time.  It's a great way to start out the year.

Tom, I like the idea of the celery and cayenne in the hoppin' john.  We'll give that a try.

Mike

Norm

Well I thought you just added them to a big pot and boiled but by Jeff's picture I'd better get a bigger one. :o

Can some of you folks give me a recipe and where to get the ingredients for your favorite version?

Tom

Norm,
googling around for fun, I found this Goldmine Link for Blackeyes

Personally, I approach it this way.

I soak dried peas overnight and then scoop the bad floaters off the next day, along with the foam.

Put in a big pot with some kind of pork meat.  (fatback, smoked hocks, ham and hambone, backbone or neckbonel, smoked jowls)

add about a teaspoon of salt and a dash of cayenne

put the lid on and bring to a boil.

turn down to a simmer and cook for 3 or 4 hours.  I like a lot of pot likker so I keep the water level up over the beans and am not bothered by some getting cooked to pieces.  They just thicken the likker.

eat the beans a ladle or two at a serving, poured over corn bread, rice or as a side dish to porkchops or most any other meal.

Salt again at serving time with a slice or two of raw sweet onion placed on top.

SwampDonkey

Tom you sure you ain't cooked baking beans before?  :D I soak 1 cup of beans overnight and rinse the beans in the morning. Aside from the cayenne, we add ginger, mollasses, mustard, a piece of bacon or pork and an onion. Cook for 3-4 hours, got enough for two, or two meals for me.  ;D

I think I've had your black eyed peas, corn and rice in a Mexican restaurant. I even think there were some lentils. I couldn't really see what I was eating though, they had it dark like a pub with red lights. I like to see what I'm eating.  :D

That was up in Ottawa.

You's aren't going to share photos are you? :D :D

Furby

Quote from: Norm on January 04, 2008, 05:38:36 PM
Well I thought you just added them to a big pot and boiled but by Jeff's picture I'd better get a bigger one. :o

I'd rather have them to one of your BBQ's Norm. ;)

Norm

Thanks Tom, sounds like how I do navy beans so I'll have to buy some and give it a try. :)

Furby the second one from the left is more than welcome. The others can start a band or something. :D

Furby

Weekend_Sawyer

My beans are frozen from the garden so they start out green then turn a little brown as they cook.

If I am out of bacon drippings I fry some bacon in the preasure cooker, leave it in there,
add beans and enough water to almost cover them, salt pepper and butter and preasure cook for about 45 minutes.

I have used ham too, comes out very good.

We do our limas the same way.

Standing infront of our freezer the top shelf s filled with black eyed peas, next shelf is white peas and limas, then a shelf of corn (off the cobb) and the bottom is allvenisin. It was a very good year for harvesting!

Jon

Norm

I was kind of curious when you said yours were frozen Jon. I went to the store and all the ones I found are dried, just like navy beans. Are these the kind you folks are using or should I look for others like in the frozen section of the grocery store?

Weekend_Sawyer

Norm,

Dry beans are fine. We grow them every year, they yield very well. They produce all summer so I only plant 1 or 2 rows about 75' long. We then shell, wash, blanch (cook for 3 minutes) and freeze them with some of the liquid they were blanched in. works great for any beans, corn and tomatos. Tho we can tomatos.

Tonight we are having some corn from the freezer and I am going to fry some Rock Fish I caught earlier this year.

Gotta run, Celest is wanting her supper!

Jon

Tom

Rock fish, eh.  I shoved my bowl of blackeyes aside to make room for a big plate full of Gael's butterflied and fried shrimp.  I might go to bed feeling guilty tonight.  To bad y'all didn't get any.  :D

SwampDonkey

Had soldier beens and coleslaw for lunch and finished up my lobster rolls for supper.  ;D

WDH

I must be lucky because we had black-eyed peas, ham, and corn bread again tonight ;D.

Norm, we soak the dried peas then cook them down with some ham or other pork for flavoring. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I an't ne'er heered of solger beans. What they be like? Wanna swap? Send me a bag and I'll send you a bag o' black eyes.

SwampDonkey

Here is a soldier bean

This is not an authentic bean pot. Most of the older folks have an old earthen ware bean pot with looped side handles and lid. We line the cover with tinfoil so it's easy to clean and keeps the sugar from baking on it. Traditionally we steam brown bread (a type of corn bread) or straight corn bread or molasses oatmeal brown bread. (Some people think brown bread is whole wheat bread  ::) )

These are cold out of the fridge with an onion and a strip of pork for flavour. Ginger, molasses and mustard are added as well.

Now beans cooked outside in a depression in the ground surrounded by hot coals all afternoon will draw a crowd for miles. ;D Mainers and Maritimers eat lots of baked beans.  ;D

Jeff, if I ever get up to the piggy roast, make way, were having outdoor cooked beans with porky. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!