iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 15, 2019, 06:21:23 PMif a squirrel drops one of those cones

I was camping once in my pop up trailer (tent bunk ends).  My truck was out front (maybe 15' away) with my aluminum canoe still on the lumber rack.  About 6 am or so, I hear what I thought was a propane tank exploding. :o DanG squirrel dropped a green cone about the size of a small cantaloupe from about 100'+ up onto the canoe.  And then repeated it again the next morning, after I moved my truck further away from the tree! >:(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Sugar pine, Pinus lambertiana I suspect.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

In Id'ing the lumber sugar tends to have some kind of unique very small pin knot clusters we would call cat's paw. Back in the day it was the preferred wood used by patternmakers for foundry work. It is stable and easily worked.

We were touristing through the giant Sequoia's and a person in the group scavanged a giant cone from one of those monsters, well it was a big cone, it must have come from one of those, nah it was one of these cones :D.

firefighter ontheside

Yes, these sweet cones are from the Sugar Pine.  Native to California and Oregon and possibly Nevada and even Mexico.  It can attain a height of 250 feet and upto 7' diameter.  It is a white Pine and so has needles in groups of five.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

I hope caveman doesn't mind if I hop in with another pine. I took the scenic route to town and went up on a ridge in the national forest today. These are a few pics of another minor yellow pine. It has been slowly leaving the landscape since the late '20's, it needs more fire. Not endangered but not that common.
It typically does not have great form and usually grows on the dry higher shaley ridges of the Appalachians.

Here's the needles closer

firefighter ontheside

Good one.  How many times I've leafed past this pine in my book on the table and never really read about it.  Looks a lot like Virginia pine, except for those cones.  I have a feeling Caveman will approve.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The umbo's are considered armed.  The needles, while two to the fascicle like virginia pine, are much more thicker, stouter, and stiffer.  Almost prickly.  These characteristics set it apart from the other two needle pines at the table. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

Glad to see we're not going to Table the IDs while caveman is on a break.
Liking Walnut

caveman

There seems to be a mountain full of those pine.

Cell phones allow me to participate while sitting in a room with 600 others while listening to someone saying "blah, blah, wah, wah, wa wha". They have a captured audience for another half hour. Thank you Forestry Forum.
Caveman

Don P

It sounds like you were stuck in a room with Charlie Brown's teacher :D.
No fooling you guys with this one, Table Mountain Pine, pinus pungens.
It is the only one I know with cones on the trunk as well as the branches. It is very limby and holds the dead branches forever so lots of black knots. It thrives best with frequent fires that clear out the competition and expose the soil. The cones are somewhat serotinous but you can see from the picture some do open in the absence of fire. In fire they all open and dump their seeds. On the ground in this stand I found a number of unopened cones on the ground and many the squirrels had gnawed on. The trees can hold those cones in waiting for a long time. The table mountain pines in the upper part of this stand are in tough shape, it is converting to chestnut and other oaks and white pine. I've been told that historically these ridges had fire every 5-10 years, its been close to a century right there although they did some extensive prescribed burns close to there a few years ago. I've never sawn one but I suspect it is like a tight ringed low grade Virginia pine ???

WDH

I am sure that not many have sawn one. 

Texas Ranger

not to mention some off us have never seen one
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

btulloh

Heck, I never even heard of one.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I've never seen one or sawn one.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

nativewolf

@Don P I might be mistaken but I believe Pond Pine (P. serotina)will also form cones directly on trunk where buds get active and flower.  Trunks turning into green stalks is something to see after a pocossin burns.  Hope I didn't ruin a tree of the day.  
Liking Walnut

caveman

Y'all are putting out some good ones.  Does someone want to do tomorrow's?
Caveman

WDH

They grow on the higher droughty ridges of the Appalachian mountains. 

Don P

@nativewolf, that's neat, I'd like to confirm that if you have an opportunity, pond pine is out of my range. I was just reading and there was much mention and pics of needles and small branches growing out of the trunks after fire but I couldn't confirm cones directly on the trunk.

For us that is a high droughty ridge, I was within a mile of the foundations of the old firetower that was on that ridge. I look at it from the back porch. We are at about 2500 ft, the mountain we are on is about 3700', Blue Ridge, so the first Appalachian orogeny, with a granite/gneiss basement, even up top it is well watered and decent soil.  Although I see a few over here, some on a stony bluff above the New, not many. The Valley and Ridge starts with that mountain, it is 600 million years younger and Africa's second try at drivers ed. If you look at a map of the mountains you can see the random bumps of the blue ridge then look inward towards the center of the Appalachian strip and you'll see more linear mountains. The coalfields were the third bump, a raised plateau, deeply gorged, full of buried forests. With the valley and ridge life had begun in this world, dolomite and calcerous shales from very small sea creatures. The top of that ridge is drier than a popcorn fart, I've had to wander back down that road quite a ways with a jug for the radiator before, that's where they are. Going down the backside is a huge rhododendron slick with Catawba and rosebay rhodos, flame azalea and mountain laurel, stunning when in bloom and a good place to get really turned around. The place names say something, Mule Hell, Horse Heaven, Mike's Gap. Mike was a peddler back in the early days. He left the cove on the far side of what is now the forest on Christmas eve heading over towards our side. The family there asked him to stay and wait out the weather. They found him frozen by a tree up in the gap that bears his name.

nativewolf

I will have to ask my old dendrology professor, just retired, at NC State.  Don't have them here in northern va either.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Table Mountain pine was on the Georgia FFA Tree ID list so I had to go collect a sample specimen for many years for the contest.  Found them in the upper NE corner of Georgia Northeast of Clayton in the Warwomen Wildlife Management Area. A lot of pitch pine up there, too. 

firefighter ontheside

Sorry caveman, I'm at work and the only tree we have here is a Japanese maple.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Jmoore sent a few pics for me to post on tree of the day. This is in Winter Haven, Fl.

Maybe the addition of the fruit picture will useful.  
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Before the picture of the fruit I figured it was a fruit tree, like plum.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

It is a plum.  I think I know what it is but I would feel a little more confident in my identification with some of the experts chiming in. I did not physically see the tree, just the pictures posted earlier.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Looks like a Santa Rosa plum.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!