iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seasoned carp but new to TF'ing question

Started by andybuildz, December 23, 2007, 11:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andybuildz

First off let me say hello to y'all. This is my first post here.
I've been Googling to death timber framing and saw mills and  finally found what looks to be like one of THE sites to be in for so much of what I want to know.

I'm from Cold Spring Harbor on Long Island in NY and have my house up for sale now (I know...bad timing...ugh). The house is one we live in that I've restored and built onto with the intention of selling it when it was done. Well.....it's done...finally.
Its a circa:1680 that sat on the market before I bought it for a long time unsold being it was in such horrible shape...well..if ya wanna know about it you can read about it in my web site. Its the Goose Hill Rd Project.(see my web site below if you want)

Anyway...the long and short of it is I'm now looking to learn Timber Framing to add to my tool box and hopefully keep at it eventually pretty much exclusivly once I move. I'm looking for a company that would want to hire me pretty much anywhere. I'd be happy to relocate right away as long as the job served my needs. I have a real lot to offer a good company and all I want in return is to learn timber framing and a fair salary. I have tons of tools and equiptment to offer within my knowledge of work as well.
I want to be part of a good team because I know from so much past experiance how incredably important that is. I've been a builder for a few decades now and during all these years of climbing through windows..over roofs, down roof rafters and accross ladders and scaffolds I'd sure welcome the chance to walk some 8x8 timbers. I can't think of anything more refreshing (well almost anything...haha).

Soooooooooo...if anyone knows of a company that might be interested in me please give them my name and web site (below) which has my phone and email addy..

In the interim....I'll be here listening and asking questions as well as reading anything I can get my hands on but I know from experiance its all about gettin my rig on and cuttin' some wood and poundin' some nai....uhhhhh...pegs
andy
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Jim_Rogers

Welcome Andy:
If you go to the timber framers guild business council site you can find a list there of job openings.
If you need an exact link to the site let me know, but you should be able to find it with a simple google search...

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

andybuildz

Thanks much Jim...Actually I found you guys from the TF Guild Forum.
I didn't see much in the job opening folder. Looked more like it was filled with more techy kind of jobs rather than for carps but I'll keep my eye open.
I basically posted my own post like I did here. Hopefully someone out there is looking for someone exactly like me...hey...ya never know, right?;)
Ya gotta be in it to win it!

andybuildz

Jim...were you refering to this
http://careers.timberframe.org/search.cfm
In that I found pretty much nothing.
In the Guilds Forum they had a folder
called, " Looking for the perfect timber framer" which
had help wanteds in there but other than that I couldn't find anything.

Furby

I may be wrong on this, but I get the feeling you are going about things all wrong.
Most folks pay for schooling in timber framing, where you want a company to pay you to learn.
Now I know companies in other industries offer paid training, but I'm not sure you'll easilly find that in TF, let alone at a "fair salary".
Just my thoughts, welcome to the forum! :)

andybuildz

Well, I suppose how I'm looking at it is that with several decades of renovations and restoration work under my belt along with truck loads of tools and equiptment available I'm offering to do more than JUST learn timber framing and I believe I state that saying " I have tons of tools and equiptment to offer within my knowledge of work as well."  I'm really more than willing to do more than just TF.
I see in a quite a few of these companies sites that they offer the customer not JUST erecting the frames but finishing the insides as well. I've also seen companies that do more than just timber frame within their scope of offerings.
another thought too is..if someone had me working for them they "might" even consider leaving a small crew behind to finish off a few rooms...or side the exterior..or put up a wood shingle roof. On my house alone along with two other guys I hired to work with me we installed over 40 sq. of wood royals along with copper flashing I fabricated on my brake.
I just trhought I might add another element that might not be there. I donno...maybe I'm crazy.

I thought I might be an asset when it comes to these areas of expertise'.
I understand a lot of compnies don't offer that but I think some do.

I even noticed quite a few companies don't really even erect the frames...it seems like they just sell the frames.
It seems to me there's several different varities of companies out there.
All I can do is offer up what I have to offer along with my honesty.
If I'm not anyone's cup of tea than I suppose I won't hear from anyone and I'll have to go about this differently.
You never know what someone might happen to need and appreciate at the time.
I've certainly heard of stranger things.
I appreciate your input though along with the welcome.
Thanks much
andy

andybuildz

Furby
  After I wrote the above post to you I got to thinking....how I appreciate what you wrote BECAUSE I probably should have been more clear and added "exactly" what I said to you in my letters to the companies I've written to so far.
I think thats exactly what I'm going to do from now on.
Any other feedback goes appreciated for sure :)

Thanks again
andy

Furby

If you weren't spelling it out before, that may help. :)
I would look into some of the schools/courses and consider going that route if the employment route falls through.
That way you would at least learn what you want/need to to do your project and have some experience next time you make the rounds on the employment side.
I'm not discrediting your current experience in any way, but it would allow you to get started on you next project as soon as the house sells and also give you some exposure to TF so you can decide if it's really for you.

andybuildz

Quote from: Furby on December 24, 2007, 01:21:39 PM
If you weren't spelling it out before, that may help. :)
I would look into some of the schools/courses and consider going that route if the employment route falls through.
That way you would at least learn what you want/need to to do your project and have some experience next time you make the rounds on the employment side.
I'm not discrediting your current experience in any way, but it would allow you to get started on you next project as soon as the house sells and also give you some exposure to TF so you can decide if it's really for you.

Furby

ARKANSAWYER

Well my advice is to wait till better weather and find a course like at MapleWood or one that Jim is doing and go.  Get some schooling under your belt.  It will make employeers look at you a bit harder.  In some ways stick framing and timber framing are the same but in as may ways they are not.  Cut a 2x4 wrong for a wall and you are out $3 bucks and can just go get another one.  Cut a timber wrong and you may be out $100 bucks and can not find one.  When rasing I do not let any one on site that does not know what is going and done it before.  It is easy to mame and kill someone  who does not really know what to expect.  Rigging does fail as does pens and such and the last thing you want on your mind at that time is WHERE IS EVERY ONE STANDING. 
  You can walk on to a TFG site where many are working on a frame who have never meet.  I may be cutting a end of a timber and you the other.  But as Jim can attest it does not take long to tell who knows what they are doing and who does not.  Them is a unforgiving lot and proud of their work.  You will enter the field as a laborer and work up no matter how many nails you have pounded in your days.  I was weaned with a slick in my hands and sawdust in my blood.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!