iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules/Eaton winch on 225A TJ(Problems)

Started by David-L, January 05, 2013, 06:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Hi Everyone,
Need some help on this winch issue. My winch will free spool ok, pull the front tires off the ground if I want, but it has an issue with the winch not holding when I release the winch control lever in the cab. If I am winching in an do not push the winch lever all the way up in the control box it will hold most of the time and not release the hitch, and off we go. But if I put the lever all the way up and let go to stop winching in it will find its middle brake position but drop the hitch.
I took the brake cylinder off after work today and have a seal kit and new spring. Upon taking the spring out it was broke in two. Will this cause the problems I am desribing or do I also have a hyd issue. New filter and hyd oil recently.

Thanks Caveman
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

loggah

Im pretty sure the spring is the problem. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Mark K

That is your problem. That spring puts your brake on. When you put it back on you just have to find that happy medium where it will freespool and hold the hitch. You adjust it with the threads on the cylinder rod.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

David-L

Thanks Logga and Mark K,
Now do I heat some water up in a microwave and put the teflon packings in it to slip them on the piston. They were a #%^&*@ getting the old ones off. I believe this is what happens at a hydraulic shop.
                                            Caveman

Mark K

Thats what I have done. Then use grease to slip them on. I know some guys say use vasoline on them but we where told it breaks down something in the teflon. Dont know if thats true.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

David-L

hey Loggah and Mark K.
The spring must have been the problem, Worked fine yesterday. I would love to post some pics but when I try it says the pics are to big. I am working on that.

Thank You Sponsors!