iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red saw orange saw

Started by coxy, March 08, 2018, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how do you keep the line end on the tank for the vent where it hooks to the out side of the tank  this has to be the worst set up i ever seen or am i missing the simple things  ;D

mike_belben

You did indeed miss the simple thing.  Telling us what model!  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Is it a chainsaw or a gas powered hula hoop?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

meant to put (or )in there               husky 372or jonsered 2171

knuckledragger

I haven't ever experienced any problems with my 372xp. Although I didn't buy it new it was manufactured in 2000. All machines that are mass produced will, from time to time, not get everything right. The reason I say this is because I build saws from grave yard saws( fraunk-n-Steen). At times the grave yard saw is a relatively new saw. One application or another didn't come just right and the owner discarded the saw. Improvise, adapt, overcome. Yes I'm an old jarhead. The saw ain't got no sense. It will only do what you enable it to. Take a step back and look at it at a different angle. It would be a mistake to discard the saw because of the tank vent.

HolmenTree

I just sold my Stihl 090AV chainsaw which served me well over the last 23 years. It's  kind of a benchmark saw at 137cc and built out of solid magnesium .
Probably the most durable reliable saw ever built. But when I changed its tank vent hose last week I noticed how simple it was, just a 2 inch long piece of black rubber fuel line stuck on a nipple screwed into the fuel tank. It has just a coarse thread  plug on the upper end of it.
Works reliably, does it's job.

I look at every chainsaw having it's own mechanical soul, how it's cared for and treated by its end user determines what quality of life it will have.
I myself cringe when I see some idiot start up a cold saw and hold it wide open throttle to warm it up,  then blipping the throttle in a victory statement kind of way. I wouldn't let that person touch my dog.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JJ

what is the right way to warm up a cold saw?
I'm no pro, but own couple Jonsered [CS2165 and 2050 turbo].

Both are serving me well and will like to keep them running.

JJ

HolmenTree

Quote from: JJ on March 16, 2018, 02:46:52 PM
what is the right way to warm up a cold saw?
I'm no pro, but own couple Jonsered [CS2165 and 2050 turbo].

Both are serving me well and will like to keep them running.

JJ
As soon as it starts running from cold set it on the ground and let it idle for a minute. If it won't idle then it needs some maintenance.
Then pick it up and slowly increase revs until it runs clear.
Never rev a cold saw to WOT  blipping the throttle up and and down. Very bad for the connecting rod bearings.  

knuckledragger

Wow! Just sold 090. I relate to your feelings about the 090, except for mine is the 99 cc 064. Over two decades of service and recently went through a total restoration. How is it my good man you were able to part with such a valuable, reliable piece of equipment that has had it's place in making you the man you are today. Just curious I guess. Holmentree I call myself paying attention to your post. My perception of you is that you are very informed with vast experience. However, until a moment ago I don't recall noticing the statement making a living with a saw since age 16. Impressive, you seem to have all your limbs as well. Anyway, the advice of how to start a cold saw hit the nail on the head. I refuse to let someone cold start one of my saws unless I have seen them cold start other saws in a similar manner as you described.

HolmenTree

Quote from: knuckledragger on March 19, 2018, 07:23:06 AM
Wow! Just sold 090. I relate to your feelings about the 090, except for mine is the 99 cc 064. Over two decades of service and recently went through a total restoration. How is it my good man you were able to part with such a valuable, reliable piece of equipment that has had it's place in making you the man you are today. Just curious I guess. Holmentree I call myself paying attention to your post. My perception of you is that you are very informed with vast experience. However, until a moment ago I don't recall noticing the statement making a living with a saw since age 16. Impressive, you seem to have all your limbs as well. Anyway, the advice of how to start a cold saw hit the nail on the head. I refuse to let someone cold start one of my saws unless I have seen them cold start other saws in a similar manner as you described.
Thanks for the kind words knuckledragger,
It was hard letting the 090AV go, but I felt it's time to turn to a new page as the saw did its job milling lumber and cutting paper rolls at the local paper mill. But those jobs are just a memory now. A young fella bought it and he can get good use out of it.
That sounds like  a very impressive 064 project you have there. The 064 is one of my favorite saws.
I'm working on a project too at the moment with 2 066 and 1 064 I have on my bench. I'm pulling the 066's out of retirement and putting them back to work with my tree service.
The left side saw in my pic is  1992 066 Mag which will wear the 064's (middle) narrower flywheel and rewind housing . Then I'll have a great compact 064 style 066 that will handle a 21"-25" b/c.
The '96 066 to the right needs a new coil and some rubber parts . Seeing this 066 has the upgraded bigger crank and crankcase it will handle the 28"-36" b/c.
 With its larger flywheel and rewind housing it will retain the extra cooling capacity for the longer b/c's.

coxy

i know I'm going to open up a can of worms but years ago i had a stihl don't remember the size but it was heavy  that thing use to vibrate so bad when you where done using it  your hand was still shaking for an hour after  have they improved as far as the vibration goes   running the huskys it didn't seem to bother  

HolmenTree

I ran all different size Stihls for over 25 years and never had a problem with vibration. And during those years the Jonsereds and Huskys were no better for reducing vibration with their rubber mounts.
Now everyone has spongy spring mounts.
Just be thankful we didn't have to spend years making a living with the old Homelites or Macs :D

chet

I wasn't so lucky.  ::)   An outfit I worked for, for eight years ran Homelites; SXLAO's, 925's, 1050's, 1130G's & 2100's. Da truly sad part was we had been running Jonesreds before that.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

gspren

I have an old Stihl 041 FarmBoss that had no AV, and while it's still a runner it will vibrate your wrists. I don't use it much but keep it going in hopes I stumble into a deal on a Lewis Winch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HousewrightVA

Coxy
Seems your thread went sideways here.
Have the same issue with one of my jreds. Dealer told me the only fix is a new tank.
I like the way they run but seems something is always falling off.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

coxy

that's ok the only thing that has not been talked about is grits and a chain saw  so who eats them while working on a saw  :D i found out how to put them in and keep them there pull the tank off get it good and clean and super glue them as long as there not broke off from the nipple that goes in the tank 

Jeff

Quote from: coxy on March 20, 2018, 07:06:49 PM
that's ok the only thing that has not been talked about is grits...
Durn it Coxy, it's like a dang virus on here and now even you are a carrier!  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

As long as someone don't try to tell me how good grits are or put real maple syrup on them things,all will be fine. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

knuckledragger

I bought a stihl 028 super in '84-85 brand spanking new. First new saw I'd ever purchased. I was right proud of that saw. In fact, that particular saw is most of the reason I have continued to buy stihl products. Don't get it twisted now, I have professional husqies and Jonsered saws as well. The vibration of a saw can come down to something as simple as excessive dirt. Now then, I'll eat grits quick enough. Given a choice however I'd ask for potatoes. There's something about outdoor work, 2cycle equipment, and potatoes that I'm fond of. A compact 066...intriguing. That is a great example of improvisation, adaptation.

HousewrightVA

An 84-85 028 was my first saw too,good saw.
Cfarm I am from the south, so I like grits. I am also a maple producer, They go real good together.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

mike_belben

Now cream of wheat on the other hand... Blehk.  
Praise The Lord

realzed

"I look at every chainsaw having it's own mechanical soul, how it's cared for and treated by its end user determines what quality of life it will have.
I myself cringe when I see some idiot start up a cold saw and hold it wide open throttle to warm it up,  then blipping the throttle in a victory statement kind of way. I wouldn't let that person touch my dog." (quote)..
Ha - I was reminded about this bit when I in my boredom last night came across a short YouTube video entitled "Husqvarna 560xp verses Stihl 261c-m"  by some dealership (I believe) called Forest and Garden.
I had to laugh at the fan boy images and sheer stupidity of it in it's short entirety - wherein a guy dressed up like 'Mr. Husqvarna Woodworker' in brand new togs, proceeds to get both models inanely finally up and running and then revs the living snot out of both for seemingly minutes on end, while routinely showcasing side by side and from all perspectives - views of both, in addition to what he finds obviously lacking in the Stihl version from the snide looks of derision and chuckles when he believes he finds less than stellar traits of the 261 in comparison to the Husky version...
Not only is the obvious partisanship of one make over the other of both of these great saws apparent - which is fine, but the obvious childish attitude in doing so makes one wonder why anyone would buy from such a loser business that would post such a video - and one that demonstrates such disregard for a brand new saw (of either brand) that would probably later be sold to some unsuspecting consumer after all of the videos are done with..
As a business, if you wish to try and display your obvious threatened attitude of another brand or model in comparison to one you prefer - or just wish to showcase out and out 'utter stupidity and lack of mechanical regard' for new equipment - such short pieces recorded for history for the World to view, seems like the perfect media and way to do it..
I personally like, and have some Husqvarna equipment myself, but recently bought a 261 because I liked what I saw, felt, and had much past history with - but I wouldn't buy Husqvarna, Stihl, or any other brand of equipment based on the short video I watched from this dealership, I can assure you!
I personally just also sort of believe as Willard does - "that each piece of equipment has it's own soul" as well, and guess I just can't tolerate what I view as such ignorance when I view it..  

wild262

I just saw that clip as well.  Running & revving both saws wide open no load for no apparent reason.   What a freaking fool.  People of that caliber shouldn't even be allowed to touch fine equipment much less operate one.  I couldn't even watch it all. smiley_thumbsdown

coxy

well put me in the what freaking fool jail cause that's what i do and did the same thing with a snowmobile motor after a rebuild  put it on a stand let idle for about 30 seconds  then hammer down  it got new rings every 2 races and new piston and rings every 4 races never had one come apart so call me and others what you want  :)

mike_belben

You wouldnt like living in a society where you arent allowed to treat your own stuff like... Your own stuff.  

If i want to buy a saw and light it on fire, i will. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!