iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood shed

Started by curved-wood, October 17, 2019, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curved-wood

Shed for wood. Could be moved with a loader. All wood construction, the roof is 3 plies of 1/2'' cedar. The structure  is non symetric  and is cut in curved trees following the grain

Nebraska

Like it, also like creativity that came up with it.

Crusarius

That is sweet! Was there enough flex in the boards on the right hand wall to just curve them? Or was there some steaming or something going on?

WV Sawmiller

Now you've gone and done it! You know some customer is going to come along and want a matching pair just like it. :D Very creative. Well done.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

curved-wood

@Crusarius I never use steam in my curved constructions . It is too much time consuming. Since the curves are not as strong as in furniture, there is always a right thickness for a needed radius. In that construction 1/2'' was used which could take a bit of a twist even if it is curved

Crusarius

Thanx for the info. Was that green or dried?

curved-wood

Most of the time I use air dry wood. Green will be more flexible but not as stable and difficult to paint and I am always afraid of the cracks at the end of the board where there could be a lot of tension.   To determine the thickness that I need, I use the formula : e/r smaller or equal to 1/200. e is the thickness and r is the radius That is for common spruce with small knots but it could be bent more with clear grade and straight grain. They could be glued and screwed together to built a stronger piece. Here is a table to give exemples. It is from my book on how to build curved structure with wood. Sorry if it is in french, an English version is on the way. The first column is the thickness, the second is the radius, the third if the deflexion on 4 feet and the fourth is the deflexion on 10 feet

Tableau sur le pliage du bois

Épaisseur (e) des lamelles (en pouces) ''Rayon (r) maximum de courbure '' Déflexion maximale sur 4 pieds Déflexion maximale
sur 10 pieds
3/8''75''4''30''
½''100''3''20''
5/8''125''2 3/8''15''
¾''150''1 7/8''12''
1''200''1 3/8''7''

e

Bruno of NH

Awesome 
That's very nice
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lxskllr

I like that. Very whimsical. Modern, retro, and fanciful all at the same time  :^)

Brad_bb

Now that's my kinda wood shed!   ;)
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Allagash372XP

Not my style but I like the creativity. Any woodshed is better than no woodshed.

thecfarm

I use all my crooked wood for firewood. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

I just  saw this thread come up again, I would love to read your book in English.  I have the trusses of an old Sears round roof barn in storage waiting for me to get to them.

curved-wood

nebraska : it could be very interesting to work with trusses already built.
cfarm :when it curved in one direction and big enough, I saw them. When it is twisted (curved in 2 directions ) , it is very difficult to use and goes in firewood as you are doing 

WV Sawmiller

I find curved wood also makes nice benches.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

curved-wood

WV Sawmiller : I like your benches... it invites a gathering. I wouldn't be surprised that when you sell some, people will get all the set to make the circle

WV Sawmiller

This a pair (Actually a trio) I am working on now. Locust. Not as much curve as the other 3 but some. These have the legs already cut to length and some custom putty in a couple of knotholes. I will sand and apply tung oil when the putty dries. A neighbor suggested when he saw them that they would have made a good set of sled runners which is true.

I guess the bottom line is when you see something weird in a log don't automatically think firewood. What was it the artist said after carving a man sitting on a horse out of a block of stone and someone asked him how he did it? He said "I just chipped away everything that did not look like a man sitting on a horse."
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

I like 'em! They should look slick with a finish on them. When is that fair, this week or next? I am very anxious to hear how you make out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

It is Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Weather looks good for Friday but rain for weekend when most of the vendors will be there and the street will be blocked off. I have a fish fry scheduled here at home Thursday and may bring several inside for use like extra coffee tables. 
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Knock 'em dead man. My wife has her last show of the season Saturday and I have a full day planned. Look forward to hearing on Sunday how you did.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!