iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Shocks, F250 SD diesel

Started by submarinesailor, January 05, 2009, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

After 175,000 miles, I think its time to replace the shocks on my 2003 F250 SD diesel.  Anyone have a recommendation as to the type, along with a supplier???????

Bruce

VT

Usage of truck ?

Need way more info , cabs , engine , drives ETC.

VT

Hey Sub , All boats are the same

DR Buck

QuoteNew Shocks, F259 SD diesel

I read the title of your thread and thought you built you own truck.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Rocky_J

Considering the originals probably wore out about 150,000 miles ago, you'll be happy with just about anything. For work trucks I've always had a preference for Monroe Magnums. Big, beefy shocks for big trucks. I don't want no wimpy car shock.  :D

ScottAR

If you can swing fancy, Bilstein.   Otherwise, Monroe Gas Magnums.

Monroe shocks are built in my town...   8)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

submarinesailor

Nothing special about this truck – no lift kit, over sized tires, chips or modified exhaust.  Just an F250 SD 6.0L diesel with the extended cab.

I was wondered about putting some air shocks/a leveling system on the rear, so I can level it out while there is a load on it.  Most of my driving is highway, but I do load it up with a JD 4520 every now and then.  About 5 to 6 thousand tractor and trailer.  Air shocks or the bag system?????? ??? ???

Oh Dave........ Just for you, I fixed the header. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

VT

Id do the bag system over air shocks , KYB would be my choice over Monroe / Bils are $$ for a truck .
If you gave me the drive 2WD or 4WD Wheel base also i could find you the part #s easy also.

VT

isawlogs

If I was in the States I would give Steve (Burlcraft ) a call at Truck Part City ....  his link is on the front page . If anybody could give you advice on what to get , that would be a good place to start.  ;) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Rocky_J

Bags would probably be overkill for such a small trailer weight. If you were hauling 10K lbs+ on a regular basis I could see it, but 5K is well within capacity in stock form. Keep your tongue weight to 8%-10% of the load and you're only talking about 500 lbs of downforce on the back of the truck.

Ed

I've used the Monroe gas magnums for years......excellent shock & reasonable price.
The last set of heavy duty NAPA shocks I bought were gas mags in a NAPA box.

Ed

submarinesailor

Well after an other 53,000 miles I'm finally getting around to getting these shocks changed.  I'm going with the Monroe Gas Magnums, about $41.99 each.

Bruce

LeeB

I've been using Monroe Rancho. Good shock for heavy dutyand lifetime warranty.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I am shocked that you got another 53,000 miles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Bilstein is what I have used on my 04 Duramax HD. They about $58. each. Yes they cost a little more but they are worth it. You can find them online and mine were shipped free and no tax. bg

tyb525

Supposedly most shocks need replaced at 50,000, but they wear so gradually that most don't notice-or have the money to buy new ones every 50k.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ScottAR

Update: put bilisteins on the F350... very nice...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

sandhills

Now I'm curious, after 228000 miles did you actually have to take the old ones out or could you just bolt the new ones in where the originals used to be? :D

Thank You Sponsors!