iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bad day in the woodlot

Started by Ox, June 15, 2015, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

I had my tractor out back and was skidding some older logs out to throw on the mill for some gun blanks for my buddy and to clean up the lot some.  I hooked onto a bigger black cherry that was tree length and was bucking and snorting trying to get her to come on out when all of a sudden thick smoke started rolling out from by the engine.  I quick shut it down and checked things out.  There were glowing and bubbling wires from the grounds on the alternator and from the deck to the transmission casing.  I ran (term used loosely, more like loped) up to the shop and grabbed a fire extinguisher and "ran" back.  After some dousing I felt comfortable I wouldn't lose my machine (woodlot was wet so I wasn't concerned about forest fire).  I have two mostly picked batteries hooked up to try to avoid spending money on a new one.  One sits on the deck next to the tool box and is secure.  I couldn't hold my hand on it, it was so hot!  I got away fast figuring it'll blow any time.  Got a wrench to open up the battery box on the other side and lo and behold, that battery had bounced around and welded the hot side to a little bracket on the inside of the battery box (which hangs down under the deck and the steps are part of it).  I finally kicked it off and things were OK.  Strangely, this battery was cool to the touch.  I barely got the tractor started and began my trip up to the shop and noticed it was charging at 60 amps!  Not wanting to blow something up (batteries) I had to idle all the way to keep the ammeter at 30 amps.  The ground wire from the alternator and ground wires from the deck to the "frame" (really the transmission case) were all toast and burned through.  I figure maybe with a re-do of the battery box hold downs for that battery first, then new ground wires will put me back in business.  Worst case scenario I'll need to replace the voltage regulator in the alternator.

Just when you think you've got things figured out, Murphy will throw you a curve ball.  I've never met the guy but I already know I don't like him.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Andries

Ox:
Thanks for posting this.
Reminds me to get battery hold-downs on my Ford industrial, as well as a fire extinguisher in the cab.
Good to hear that yours was a close call - could've easily been a lot worse.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

taylorsmissbeehaven

Glad things were not worse. I too, have a battery in my tractor that is not tied down. Its on the list now!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Kbeitz

If you find the alternator toast E=bay sells one wire hookup alternators real cheap.
They are so easy to hook up...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Update - I fixed the wires that were melted, added some water to the one battery, blocked up the battery in the box so it can't go anywhere and fired her up.  Apparently, the alternator needs the ground wire hooked up to the other side of the regulator to make it work properly.  All is good and the max charge is back to the 30 amp like it was.  All is well once again.  8)

Too DanG hot and humid to do much today besides fixing the tractor and hilling a few taters. smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Brucer

Quote from: Ox on June 15, 2015, 09:13:09 PM
.. Apparently, the alternator needs the ground wire hooked up to the other side of the regulator to make it work properly....

Yep, it does. I was having trouble starting my loader in the cold weather last year -- had to charge it off the pickup every couple of days. I was getting zero charge from the alternator. People were telling me I needed new batteries. Other people were telling me my alternator was shot. And everyone was telling me I probably wrecked the starter because of low voltage and high amps from the battery.

Well, everyone was wrong. I traced the wire from the alternator to the battery and it had been spliced 3 times -- no solder, no twist connectors, no crimp connectors. Just a couple of bare ends twisted together and wrapped with tape. Replaced that with a new wire. Then I tugged on the ground wire to the alternator to pull the connector free. The wire pulled right out of the crimp connector with no effort at all. Replaced that as well. never a problem since.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!