iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvest/Milling ash during warm months??

Started by joejeep, April 14, 2015, 08:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joejeep

I was told recently by a tree removal friend of mine not to harvest ash to mill when sap was flowing in trees during warm months. Claims it will crack like crazy. Any truth to this.
My wife says I do everything in excess

buzywoodliff

I think all of our ash is standing there dead.... Standing by to see what others have to say.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chep

In my personal experience, .ash splits checks a lot more in the warmer months then in the winter. We try to use flitch savers asap on the landing. When that duty was neglected for to long the logs checked. Any more then a few days.  Even logs that had grown on flat ground and had pretty even growth rings still checked quick.
  We cut white ash mostly and I am not sure why my experience is different with ash, but it is...even this little guy checked right off the stump, this is from fall by the way, not hot weather just a creamy tree. Couldn't help myself

joejeep

The only time that I did try milling ash was during dead of winter.. Cutting 8/4x12s for my uncle. They were splitting as I stacked them. Didnt get one use able one.
My wife says I do everything in excess

Ron Wenrich

I've sawn ash all year long.  Some logs split, some don't.  I've noticed the same in hickory.  I've also seen it in oak, though not as pronounced.  We end up putting S hooks in the veneer logs to prevent further splitting. 

From a sawing perspective, I'd rather have the log split along its natural stress points.  That way I know where the defect lies, and I can saw around it.  If I saw through the defect, it will become apparent when the the board hits the deck, and splits.  Or you dry it, and it splits. 

I don't think sap flow is the issue.  It's the nature of the wood.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sandsawmill14

maybe the because of my location but the ash doesnt check much worse than other hardwoods but it is very brittle. I had 1 thats was about 22" dia with a little sweep in  it break into 3 pieces when it hit the ground and if 1 ever falls across a stump or another tree top it will break. I just saw them anyway but do get some odd length lumber sometimes  :) I dont know which ash it is but looks like cheps pic
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 15, 2015, 08:17:01 AMFrom a sawing perspective, I'd rather have the log split along its natural stress points.  That way I know where the defect lies, and I can saw around it.  If I saw through the defect, it will become apparent when the the board hits the deck, and splits.
Thanks Ron.  I have tried to emphasize this point several times recently. 

Watch for natural checks and open the log accordingly.  The initial face opening will determine the quality as well as the quantity of the log's yield.  Some species are much more susceptible to natural checks; Cherry, Ash, Tulip Poplar, Cypress, and Oak to name a few.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

ash is one of the lowest m.c.of any tree so,it dries alittle faster than trees with a higher m.c.
i try to saw logs from oldest to newest as to the time they have been in the wood yard
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Ash usually has a lot of growth stress in it, at least down here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!