Previous topic - Next topic

1967Stroker

i started on one a few weeks ago. hope to post pictures, when i figure it out

Hilltop366

Welcome, hope you figure it out!

1967Stroker

well its got 16" wheels and will run a 153" long blade

thecfarm

1967Stroker,welcome to the forum. Lots of building going on lately. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1967Stroker

1967Stroker

build a small cabin to live in and get away from rent

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF 1967Stroker!! Nice setup you have going there.  What part of MS?  I'm near Meridian.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

1967Stroker

first built one using to back half of a snapper lawn mover. lol. it would work but to much adjusting to get it to track. so scraped that idea and started over.

1967Stroker

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 26, 2015, 08:56:22 PM
Welcome to FF 1967Stroker!! Nice setup you have going there.  What part of MS?  I'm near Meridian.
im in philly.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 1967Stroker, and congrats on the pictures.  Looks like you are NE of Carthage.   ;D

Will the pillow blocks be below the head frame to give you a deeper throat opening?  Just curious.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

1967Stroker

it will be flipped over. just got it laying upside down figuring things out

fishpharmer

Looks more NW of Carthage. 

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

1967Stroker

2000 pound winch and 4 pulleys will raise and lower head.

1967Stroker

32" between post so maybe i'll get to cut around a 28" log

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup on the "flipped over".

Sorry, NE of Canton and due West of Carthage.  I cheated and looked at his profile pin map.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

It really looks stout!  What horsepower motor will you use?

1967Stroker

brand new 8hp right now. but might need to change it later. but i got my speed of feet per min, figured out. full engine power should be around 4700 FPM

fishpharmer

The blade speed will be just right.  8hp is a good start, you find that you will always want more. ;) :)

1967Stroker

worked on my guides this evening.

fishpharmer

The guide supports look great.  Woodmizer and probably most other mill manufacturers recommend a 1/4 inch of downward force below the plane of bandwheel travel.  That's on each side.  It appears that you have enough adjustment for that.

fishpharmer

Here's a good video showing blade guide roller alignment on a woodmizer.  About 3:00 minutes in is most relevant.  The 1/16" offset of in/out adjustable roller side of blade is for woodmizer cantilever head design only.

http://youtu.be/QDcmW2IgFXg

1967Stroker

going to build the slide guide tomorrow.

1967Stroker

thats the slider guide i fixed today. almost ready to tear it down and finish some welds and paint it, then get it back together.

fishpharmer

1967Stroker

thanks. i can't weld. lol. but i do ok.

dustyhat

Not to get in anybodys way here, but you will need to make an adjuster for your roller guides , up and down tilt,to get the blade alined with the bed.    just trying to save you some head aces.

1967Stroker

the piece of 2x2 angle iron(with c-clamp on it) will have slots in it to go up and down and tilt. thanks

1967Stroker

Got the saw frame hooked to the carriage. yeah.

fishpharmer

Keep plugging along and making progress like this and you will be milling in no time.  Goes for all you other homebuilt fellers too! 8)

1967Stroker

plan on to be sawing in three weeks. i hope

1967Stroker

gww

Stroker
One thing about it.  The pullys seem to keep the blade smoother in its running in all areas then my tires do. It looked pretty good to my eyes.
gww

ps thanks for the math on my build.

1967Stroker

i had tires on my first one GWW. i like this better.

beenthere

Stroker
Where do you think the vibration is coming from? Looked to be a lot of bouncing. Any thoughts?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1967Stroker

motor plate. i haven't braced it up yet. i will soon.

1967Stroker

plus its a cellphone video

bandmiller2

Stroker, its apparent you know what your doing and have the skill set to do it. Couple of comments, your belt idler, you want the band to come to a quicker stop when released and not just slowly turn. What you need is a way to brake the belt when fully released, it will aid band flex life and increase your safety margin. Single belt is probably OK for 8 hp but if you go more HP twin "B" would be better. All in all one of the better builds I've seen. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

1967Stroker

Yes need to fix a break for that. I will make one soon , need a piece of teflon plastic.

Herb Brooks

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 29, 2015, 09:58:31 PM
Keep plugging along and making progress like this and you will be milling in no time.  Goes for all you other homebuilt fellers too! 8)
Ok update coming.  Well maybe.  got some done but not near enough. 

fishpharmer

Herb we are looking forward to your update.

1967Stroker

well worked on my track added back stops and log dogs.

gww

It looks solid and I think you will like that you added enough log bunks for the logg to sit on.  I need one more in mine for the 9/10 foot loggs to be supported better.  Looks great and your work looks very neat.
gww

1967Stroker

There is one every three feet. I got some v groove pulleys order and some angle iron coming. Hope to get to saw some by the end of the month. Thanks.

1967Stroker

gww

Mine is 20 feet long but realisticaly I can only cut a 12 foot log. I lose a little on each end and am loading the log manualy and am lucky to get a 12 foot on spaced well enough to cut it.  You are going to love the 3 feet spaced bunks.
Looks good
gww

Fpenkaty3

Looks great, I am building a very similar mill also now. 20 ft tubular frame with a linn style head like yours. Keep the pictures coming

1967Stroker

when i started this it wasn't like this but its turning and twisting into something totally different.  it is 50" in between the axles and the track is 31" wide. the wheels for the blade are 16" and drive pulley is 10.25" and engine pulley is 3.15", the engine is 8HP. when finished it sould cut a 24" tree fine.

1967Stroker

well got it on its wheels now.

gww

Looks like all you need is a log.
gww

1967Stroker

just a little more stuff and going to try it out

fishpharmer

1967Stroker, your mill is looking great.   8)Won't be long until the sawdust song.  :)

Kbeitz

I started my mill just like yours... Then I seen a worm gear winch.
Found one cheap on E-bay. If the handle gets away from you just once you might wish you had one.
No fusing with reversing leavers or anything. When you leave do of the handle it stays where you put it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

1967Stroker

I got a worm winch, just haven't put it on yet.

Ox

Looks like you've built a solid mill.
As far as welding.  If it glues together and stays there, it's a good weld in my book.
Gorilla welds are my favorite.  Big, strong and ugly.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

1967Stroker

fishpharmer

Kevin, outstanding job!  8)  Congratulations

1967Stroker

gww

Sounds like you had a supporter in the back ground.  Got to love it when a plan come together.
gww

1967Stroker

yeah. mom, dad and me. lol

Ox

Well done.  Don't ya love when a plan comes together?  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Stroker
Quoteyeah. mom, dad and me.

Thats how I roll.
gww

Ox

We're fortunate to have good family, aren't we?
Many out there don't have that.  I couldn't imagine a life where I couldn't even trust my own family.
I've been through several good "friends" that hosed me in more ways than one.
I've also figured out the secret - I consider my family my friends as well!
I'm blessed to be able to say this. 
:-* to my family if they ever see this after I've gone on to the happy hunting grounds.

Thank You Sponsors!