iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member hello

Started by jkeith, May 29, 2015, 11:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkeith

Another newbie here. I've been lurking on FF for several months now (maybe longer) and decided to come out of the shadows. I haven't posted because most of my questions on milling, timber framing, etc. have been answered through you folks and searches - thank you! I'm a woodworker and have never milled any of my own lumber, but I would like to start and perhaps move into milling on a semiprofessional basis down the road. In other words, I don't yet own a mill.

Anyway, I still have unanswered questions and look forward to getting to know you folks as I continue to learn.

JohnM

Welcome to the forum, jkeith.  Fire away with the questions.  I'm not much help but most of these folks actually know what they're doing. ;) ;D  Even the goats know a couple of things! :D materhead  :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jkeith.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Welcome, jkeith!  How about sharing some of your projects?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

teed

On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

jkeith

Thanks everyone for the welcome  smiley_thumbsup

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jkeith!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Welcome from Nova Scotia.

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

fat olde elf

Welcome !  I know several of the above responders and they are to be trusted. This is great forum......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rooster 58

justallan1

jkeith, welcome from Montana.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jkeith, Welcome to the FF.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ox

Welcome!  Best place on the 'net.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bandmiller2

Welcome Jkeith, where in Ma.?? Milling is about 98% common sense and 2% dumb luck. What are you planning for a mill.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dean herring

Welcome from north louisiana
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, JKeith .
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

arnold113

Welcome JKeith
You'll love it here.
Arnold
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

21incher

Welcome to the forum jkeith. I also like woodworking and recently started sawing my own lumber. I could not have done it without all the knowledge that that is shared on the Forestry Forum by experienced sawyers. We all love pictures of finished projects. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

JustinW_NZ

Giday from New Zealand!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

manoverboard

TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

jkeith

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome. I knew you guys were friendly, but wow!

@bandmiller2, I live in the Pioneer Valley in Western Mass but will likely relocate within the next 6 months or so. I haven't decided on a mill quite yet given the uncertainties of location over the next year. But what is certain is my desire to own a portable mill sooner rather than later. I'm pretty sure it'll be a Wood-Mizer, and looking ahead I'm leaning toward a model that would leave room for growth (LT40?). I need to be patient though.  pull_smiley

Ox

Quote from: jkeith on May 31, 2015, 08:27:04 PM
I need to be patient though. 
Like the old ketchup commercial with people holding the bottle upside down and nothing coming out, then shows a drip.  "Good things come to those who wait"  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!