iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nailing my first sawn boards

Started by Tim L, April 11, 2006, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

The shed frame was sawn last fall by my friend Jerry's Ripsaw, The siding is 1 inch boards off my Turner. These are the first boards I have ever nailed off my mill. I realize it's old hat to most of you but I'm excited !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Tim L

Here's a wider view with my hoe and dog Gretta

Tom

It never gets to be "old hat".

Way to go, you self sufficient son-of-a-gun!  :D

coldnorth

:D :D :D

Ha Ha!  You're already hooked!!!!
Doesn't take long....
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

getoverit

Lookin good Tim !!!

Keep up the good work :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

isawlogs

I never get tired of looking at what one get do after some sawing was involved , no sir ... you can show us all you want , nice looking shed . Now you got the practice done , ya need to get going on one for the back hoe .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wiam

Tim,  It is always a cool thing to build with boards that you sawed. 8)

Will

thecfarm

Looks good!!!What's your next project?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Todd

It really is an amazing thing to build somthing out of the lumber you've cut.  For some reason it makes the experience of milling even more special.  Looking at the pile of lumber you've created out of logs is one thing, but it takes on even more significance when the lumber becomes a "thing"...something tangible that wasn't there before.  If that ever gets old milling will just become a job.
Todd
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

WkndCutter

Nice looking shed.  Its great to work with your own wood.  To start with a standing tree and end up with a finished project is what its all about.

Andy

Tim L

Thanks everyone, my next project will be a 30x50 barn !

jpad_mi

Looks great! Is it pine or aspen?
Jeff P. in Michigan

Tim L

Its Pine thats been down 2 years

jpgreen

Very nice!  Good lookin' hoe too..  ;D

That's what I need..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Tim L

Thanks its a 1975 IH 3500. I haven't seen any around like it. It will out work the Case 580 super m we have at my job.

Tim L

I also have to mention my friend Jerry who owns the above mentioned Ripsaw started me down the path to saw ownership. If not for his guidance I never would have gotten into this . He is truly a lumber god and man among men . (Happy now Jerry ?)

broker farmer

Hey Tim, maybe you can get your lumber god Jerry to explain to us less enlightened what a "ripsaw" is?
I agree with all the others, building something out of hard earned sawn lumber reallly gives us  tremendous satisfaction!  I'm almost finished with a 32x80 barn............it's about a "two beer" tour just to show it off to others!!
I don't  think your backhoe is going to fit in there though.

Tim L

A ripsaw is a brand of mill,usually associated with a chainsaw drive. Jerrys is powered by a 5hp tecumseh (I think) It rides on a sch 40 pipe track so he installed pipe track on his trailer to take his show on the road. He's pretty crafty for a young man of 30. He ragged on me for not giving him credit for mill fever so I decided to tweak him with the above tribute.

About the barn, is it possible for you to post pictures ? I was slow to get my first pictures up and the members punished me for it. They say if there's no photos it didn't happen.

rebocardo

It is always a great moment when you start using the boards you cut yourself  8)

Everytime you hammer a nail, say to yourself, no more Home Depot, no more Home Depot, no more Home depot, etc.   :D

broker farmer

Tim L.................BS!!!!  Just because I don't know one end of a digital camera from the other don't mean this barn ain't sticking up in the air!  My back and hands are definitely proof!  I'll see if I can get one of my computer guru kids to take some pictures and get them posted this weekend.  I only need to saw three more logs for siding and then I'm done..........plus clean up my mess..........hate that part. 

Tim L

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thank You Sponsors!