iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrust pitting

Started by Engineer, April 14, 2006, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got a dilemma.   The round rail that the head of my mill rides on is not worn, but rather heavily rust pitted.  I'd like to find a way to somehow fill in those pits, either with some kind of metal, spray weld, body filler or somethings that will stand up to the travel fo the head.  At that point I'd repaint the rail.  Body filler would be easy but I don;t know how durable it is.

logwalker

jb weld might be worth trying in a small area. I have had good luck with it. Slow to harden but it might work. What is the problem with the pitting? Does it interfere with the travel?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

getoverit

I would reccomend JBWeld also, but be sure you have it where you want it before it sets up. Once it has set up, it is as hard as steel and you will have to grind it off. If you are going to go this route, I would suggest using a flat putty knife to fill in all of the pits, and make sure any excess is removed before it sets up.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

gary

Jb weld will do the job. I used it to patch a row boat ten years ago . It hasn't come off yet. Put it on like  you would body filler only in real small amounts . It gets hard real fast.

Thank You Sponsors!