iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a ripping chain, newbie

Started by sbishop, April 15, 2006, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

hi all, i just got my granberg mini mill II and now ready to buy a ripping chain for my sthil..i've need to make a few 8X8...please tell I can do it with a 034?

what do I need to know to order a ripping chain? and where should I order it from?

I just put on a new bar and chain, so I would like to have a seperate ripping chain!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sbishop

CaseyForrest

Baileys, site sponsor. I have 2 loops of 28" and its great for the price.

sbishop

what would be the best combination for my 034? i've got an 18" bar, i've got both a 3/8 and a .325 sprocket

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sbishop

sawguy21

Ripping chain is only available in 3/8 or .404, the saws using .325 don't have the required power. Your 034 will be slow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sbishop

that answers my question ...i'll need to get a 3/8...i'm not worried about the speed..I have all day  ;D

Thanks

Sbishop

woodbeard

Remember to get a bar with the right sprocket tip as well. 3/8 chain won't run on a bar with a .325 tip.

rebocardo

> the saws using .325 don't have the required power.

I agree with that 100%. My Husky 365 was only suitable for 16" with a 28 inch bar because it lacked the horsepower to pull the whole length of chain through wood while ripping. That was with the full comp low pro or 3/8 skip. Even if I was willing to wait, I did not want to kill the saw prematurely by loading it down.

A few boards would not hurt, though if you are thinking 1000 bf out of something, I would not bother.

If you want ripping chain in that size for just a few boards, just buy a grinder and grind your own chain.

Thank You Sponsors!