iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little visit with Jake

Started by DanG, April 16, 2006, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

On the way back from the Masters last week, I took a little detour and dropped in on Jake Dean(Customsawyer).  I caught them in the middle of a maintenance day, and he was changing oil and greasing things like a madman.  They had had a "bad" morning, and had "only" cut a couple thousand bf before declaring the day a loss. ::)  Most of us would be poking our little ol' chest out if we'd produced that in a whole day with a portable bandmill. :D :D :D

Jake was waiting on a service tech from Woodmizer to arrive and make a warranty repair on the new LT-70.  Earl, a top-flight sawmill man from WM's Ga branch, showed up right on time to replace the whole hydraulic control bank, in typical Woodmizer fashion.  I had to leave before he was finished, but I'm sure things are humming now.

Jake had to load and cut a test log to show Earl the problem, so I did get to see his operation in action for a few minutes, and I was impressed.  It was obvious that there are 2 things you won't see around Jake's mill...idle hands, and wasted motion.  An observer best stay out of the way, lest he be trampled into the sawdust! :o

Here's Jake setting for the next cut before the last board has even finished falling.

The board is being whisked away by one of the two offbearers.  This guy handles the slabs and delivers the boards to the edger, via these nice roller tables.

The other guy recieves the board from the edger and does all the sorting and stacking, as well as handling the edgings.

Here's ol' Jake making that Woodmizer do what Woodmizer claims it'll do. ;D

I gotta admit, when we was down at Tom's place, and Jake was tellin' us how much wood he cuts, I heard a couple of eyebrows raise in the darkness.  Well, I'm here to say that I'm a believer.  There are no secrets, and there are no short cuts.  No compromise on quality, either.  Just hard, steady work, good planning and efficiency are the things that are getting that job done
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dewwood

Its always nice to visit a well run operation and see how others do things.  It looks like Jake has a top notch operation and I am sure it was interesting to watch and maybe pick up an idea or two that may help you someday in your own setup.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

SwampDonkey

8) Kewl Dang, thanks for sharing the pics and the right up. Those guys look like they like thier work.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

getoverit

Looks like a first class operation. Thanks for the pic post DanG ! Wish I could have gone with ya to visit Jake.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

customsawyer

Was glad to have ya Dang. Any of you can come up anytime you want and we will let you take the place of myself or the off bearers which ever you prefer. ;D Just ask woodbowl I let him cut some wood while I ran the backhoe for some more logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodbowl

Well DanG, you beat me to it. I should have posted something a while back. I've got a bunch of pictures of you CS. I've got some of your new log deck too. Some are from you smoking it down the log sawing at about 800 BFPH. Another one is when you wadded up a blade in your new LT70.  ;D ;D Who all wants to see that one? Roller tables and plenty of help sure move things along. Thanks for letting me try my hand on your new machine.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

customsawyer

next time stick around long enough so that I can get a drink of water or something. Between you and Dang I am starting to wonder what is going on as niether one of you stuck around very long. Do I have B.O. or are you guys scared of work. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DanG

Ain't skeered of no work!  I coulda curled up and went to sleep right there on that pile of sawdust, but what passes for sawdust around there just ain't got no body to it.  I can fluff up this stuff I make and get a nice comfy bed, but that crap you got is like beach sand. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

Here is Customsawyers new log deck and WM LT70.

Deck and mill.  End view.

Changing blades. It kinda' got tangled up.  ;D

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

:D :D :D :D

Jake looks like he's ready to put that camera where the sun don't shine. ;D :D :D :D :D

woodbowl

He had started draging back but something snagged and wadded up a new .050 WM blade. I heared it on my end too. It sounded like .... kah-ching.  ::) He ain't real happy bout gettin' his picture taken right now. I thought it turned out real good.  Tell em' it looks good DanG. That's a fine picture of Customsawyer now ain't it!   ;D ;D

DanG

I seen that look, too.  First thing I done when I got there was ride to the parts house with him to get filters and such for all that oil changing and lubeing they was doing.  When we got back, he crawled under the back-hoe and started changing out the oil filter.  He came back out with sawdust, dirt and bark down the back of his overhalls and that same look on his face.  They had sold him a filter that looked like it went on a Crapsman lawn mower!  Some of the muttering he did led me to believe that he may have a disdain for incompetance!  Good thing he sent a helper back to town for the replacement. :D :D :D

woodbowl

Well don't that beat all. When I got there, he was broke down too. He spent time putting on edger blades and several other things. Didn't get much work done all mornin'. Said he only cut about 2500 BF before lunch.  ::) ::)

customsawyer

If you use it you have to fix it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!