iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red heart in E. White pine ?

Started by sprucebunny, April 19, 2006, 08:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Is it contagious ??? Should I throw the wood out or use it for stickers ?

Thanks

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom

Spruce Bunny,

The same Red heart we suffer from also occurrs, apparently, up there.  It weakens the wood but lives on live wood.  From all I've read, it is of no further concern once made into boards and dried.  Lumber here is used for outbuildings if it is perceived to be strong enough.  It doesn't appear to re-occur.  I still wouldn't use it for stickers or weight bearing in an abode.

Apparently it attacks through logging wounds and root wounds and is both air-borne and soil borne.

http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/diseases/CTD/Group/Heart/heart19_e.html

sprucebunny

Thanks, Tom.

I'll think up something to do with it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

I recently did a vista clearing job on an east facing slope. 6 of every 10 whitepine had redrot. One was a 30" 16' culvert, had a 12" hole all the way thru. The mill took it right along with everything else. They used it for pallet stock.
The view was Mt Monadnock NH.
Ed K

Tom

It might make decorative paneling.  We use "pecky" cypress for that.

If it is fairly solid, you could get it pressure treated and that will kill anything in it.   then it would make exterior paneling, fencing, posts, deck boards and all manner of exterior projects.

tcsmpsi

Looks like nice, lightly distressed finish wood to me. (paneling, trim, shelving, light cabinets, etc.)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!