iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading Logs

Started by luvmexfood, December 20, 2013, 05:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

The utility company has had a tree company cutting out the right of way on a small corner of our property. They have left me (per my request) a few good poplar logs in log length. It is on a gravel road that does not see much traffic but they are over a bank that is not too steep.

To keep from having to move a tractor their I was thinking of hooking a pulley up in the tree and winching up to the top of the bank. (Winch is mounted on the tongue of trailer) After getting them on top or close to top of the bank was thinking of going back say maybe 8 ft on log, pulley will be sort of up high in tree, and then winching on to back of trailer and cutting to length there and removeing cable from winch then pulling on up on trailer.

Anyone done anything like this and how did it work?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CX3

I would drag them up the hill flat on the ground.  When I got them to a spot that was flat, I would rig me some poles off the side of my trailer and then roll them up the poles with a couple of cables.  Google how horse loggers load wagons to see what Im talking about. Good luck
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ancjr

beenthere

QuoteGoogle how horse loggers load wagons to see what Im talking about.

Sounds just like parbuckling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

While your kinda on to something, its safer and easier to parbuckle them on, just get some nice heavy planks or good sized poles, lay em down on the side of the trailer, run your cable through a block on the opposite side of the trailer (or better yet tie off to a stump...) then run the cable under the log and back to the opposite side of the trailer (i.e. same side the block is on).  This is a good proven method and the only danger is if the log gets away from you and starts rolling back down the planks, which is usually caused by getting extra crooked on the roll up.

Using a tree to load, is just how things where done out here on the left coast, before the steam shovel was invented.  However to make it work well you need several winches, and a jill pole, and a high climber, and about 9 miles of cable...  I'm currently contemplating this to load my dump truck with fire wood poles, I don't have an excavator (shovel) or a front loader with the reach to do it.  What I do have is an unused gypo yarder and a mile of cable...
well that didn't work

gologit

Northman...try using a crotch line.  Run a good bull line between two trees with a block shackled into a molly hogan or a wire strap halfway across.   Run two lighter lines, one from each side of the block to the tree on that side. Run your load line through the block...tongs or choker on the log, free end to your skidder.  Nothing to it.

I'm probably not explaining this very well but when we have the GTG up there in March I'll draw you a diagram.
Semi-retired...life is good.

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

flyboy16101

parbuckling works good if your trailer has heavier sides on it. I would look into the Deadhead log loader there is a video of one of here if you try the search block. It looks like it works good and could be used for other items. I haven't used one thou maybe some one on here that has one can tell you more.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

treeslayer2003

dad talks about loading up a tree when he was young[50s]. I expect it was super dangerous and a pain in the rear.
I like gologit's idea. good to hear from him by the way.

thenorthman

Quote from: gologit on December 20, 2013, 07:00:14 PM
Northman...try using a crotch line.  Run a good bull line between two trees with a block shackled into a molly hogan or a wire strap halfway across.   Run two lighter lines, one from each side of the block to the tree on that side. Run your load line through the block...tongs or choker on the log, free end to your skidder.  Nothing to it.

I'm probably not explaining this very well but when we have the GTG up there in March I'll draw you a diagram.

Well hello Bob,  Didn't consider a crotch line cause my current landing is more than  a little bald on one side.  But with the skidder as a power unit that could work pretty good. 

P.S. Knew you couldn't hide for to long.
well that didn't work

Rockn H

If you're loading off the side of a road, parbuckling sounds the simplest.  Just stop on the side of road next to logs and roll them up to and then onto the trailer.   If there's isn't much traffic, you may want to park far enough from the side of the road to keep your ramps on level ground.   If you're using wooden timbers for ramps, hammer in some big fence staples or about a 30d nail for cleats to keep the log rolling and not trying to slide up the ramps.  If you're using metal ramps try welding some small tabs about every 6" or so.  Just do a search on parbuckling, lots of info here.

luvmexfood

When I first started I parbuckled then got a little concerned about the big thud when bigger logs went over the side and hit the trailer.

Now I use the tractor and boom pole. Pull in to the back of the trailer at about a 45 deg angle and then turn sideways to the trailer. lift one end of the log and wrap small chain arond log and hook winch up an lay a 4x4 across back of trailer. Wrap chain from boom pole around log to help get some of the weight off back of trailer and lets log slide easier. Most times I can just lower the weight off the boom pole and the chain from it will slide back on the log and I can pick up again. Lets me position the log on the trailer easier and loading the second round of logs on top easier.

Rockn H

luvmexfood, I agree.  I don't like to drag the logs off the end of the trailer to unload either.  I've pulled the angle iron off the end of the trailer that way.  I like to build up some bunks the same height as the sides of the trailer or fenders if you don't have sides.  That way I can roll the logs off the trailer too and don't have to drag them or use the tractor to lift them off.   Just don't get in front of them :o

redprospector

If you guy's are going to roll logs off the side of a trailer, keep your head on straight, and don't get complacent. I was unloading that way with a cant hook about 12 years ago, when the smallest little piece of junk on the trailer got away from me. It was 16' long, about 14" on the butt end, and about 5" on the top.
2 things I learned that day. #1- You can't outrun a log coming off a trailer. I don't care how fast you are, or think you are, or how small the log is. #2- A momentary laps of judgment (sticking your head where the sun don't shine) and a small stick of wood can put you out of commission for a long long time. That little stick caught me, and shattered my left knee, and took out all those ligaments that make you not fall down when you try to stand up.
When I got back on my feet, I bought a 16' gooseneck dump trailer and a Bobcat to load with for a lot less money than that one moment cost.
Stay safe!
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

luvmexfood

I don't unload anything. Trailer has 12 inch sides. Two logyards are withing 8 miles of here. 3 if you want to count peelers. All 3 or less than a mile apart. I don't cut peelers so that leaves me with 2. One has a knuckleboom to unload with and two wheel loaders. The other just has one wheel loader. I always go to the one with the knuckleboom. Unloads better.

Other reason I go their is they have a lady grader and she is pretty easy on the eyes and nice. I didn't get some logs for a week and half due to other things going on. She called me to just check and see if I was alright. Knuckleboom operator has got up from his lunch to unload me. Tried to tell him to finish but he wouldn't. Prices they pay are competive so I use them.

They have some company owned trucks and one has a knuckleboom. if I happen in with a load while the driver is unloading his truck and the regular yard man is busy or their is a line to unload he will unload me to save me from waiting.

thenorthman

I've only taken in a few super gypo loads, every mill around here has some way to unload logs, from fork lifts to front loaders, or even stackers... The best part is none of them really care how much wood you have, just as long as its marketable.

The stupidity starts when you start unloading logs for fire wood or home mill, either for a customer or at home, your tired, probably BSing and not paying nearly enough attention...
well that didn't work

Big timber little dozer

Quote from: thenorthman on December 20, 2013, 06:07:57 PM
What I do have is an unused gypo yarder and a mile of cable...
what is a gypo yarder
Yep that's what I thought

thenorthman

two pto winches, on a frame, used with a spar tree, its slow but does the trick and was paid for.  Both have forward and reverse with the larger of the two having a free spool.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!