iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worst smelling wood and best smelling wood?

Started by RayRayYJ, October 21, 2016, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRayYJ

I've been milling now for a year and a bit, so I have limited experience as in the number of species I've cut, but some trees are far more enjoyable to the nose.

Just resawed some oak and man it smells awful! Milled a bunch of big leaf maple and it's not as bad as those oak boards, but smell like burnt b-hole.

Never Milled when I lived in KY, but do most hardwoods stink when you mill them?

I sure do appreciate Doug Fir and Western Red Cedar now!

What's your worst and best smelling?

sawguy21

I would try to find something to keep me out of dad's sight when he was cutting oak plywood on his small table saw, that stuff is vile.  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DRB

Best=Sassafras
Worst=Cottonwood

Close second best would be Eastern Red cedar or walnut.
Close second worst most oaks stink bad when green

sandsawmill14

i agree with DRB   
cottonwood is the worst followed by the red oaks
ERC / sassafras is the best and hickory is a close 2nd :)                                   
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

I love the vanilla smell of white oak.  I love the smell of walnut (I love everything about walnut  :)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dustyhat

I love white oak. red oak makes me think i stepped in crap.

Bill Ragosta

I've not done any milling...yet, but Black birch smells great when cut with a saw.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I like black cherry and sugar maple and don't like popple and black locust.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

I love sawing SYP which has......well, a Pine resin smell.  I dislike sawing ERC, although I saw many tens of Mbf every year.

All lumber that I saw smells like $$$.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Greyhound

I'm not a sawyer per se, but I love the smell of cutting cherry and walnut.  I had about 1.25 mbf of dead red oak sawn and it really smelled bad, probably bacterial (sapwood was punky rotten); however, the heartwood was solid and yielded gorgeous, mellow lumber after drying.  I absolutely love the smell of sassafras when it is cut, but it does make me sneeze violently.  Black birch is awesome smelling when cutting for firewood.  I love the "Ben-Gay" wintergreen smell.  As or maple - fresh and clean lumber should have very little smell. (?)  Tulip poplar is likewise very neutral in smell.

sawman

Cottonwood worst so far in my book
Cedar the best
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

4x4American

For some reason I love that pungent oak smell, kinda like salt and vinegar chips...  I like the smell of most any wood but I would have to say pine and black birch are up there.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I like the smell of Tamarack!

It's got a fragrance that resembles the old Cloverine Salve they used to sell, back when I was a kid!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

longtime lurker

Worst: Silver quandong smells like vomit.
            Leichardt smells like, dunno it's a horrible burn the back of your throat           acrid smell.

Best: Coachwood - caramel latte with a hint of vanilla
         Qld Maple - Juicy Fruit chewing gum
          Raspberry Jam - just like the name.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

woodmills1

regular oak is a fine, +$$$ smell for me, but some have a fungus and are stinky cheese or feet smell.  Try some black birch, it smells like birch beer and the wife says wow better than maple.  I am with ya my friend, the white pine is a nice every day smell.  If I visit somewhere after cutting pine people say I smell like wood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

etroup10

My favorite is definitely black birch. The worst is cucumber magnolia. that stuff smells like manure.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

For me, best is Western Larch, worst is Grand Fir.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

5quarter

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 21, 2016, 09:01:58 PM
Worst:  Silver quandong smells like vomit...

Silver quandong sounds like vomit... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

5quarter

I love the smell of most woods. cherry, maple and EWP are great to saw. But growing up in WNY, my favorite is apple wood. We used to split it and burn it on a regular basis. smells like apples. even more so when you saw it green.

several nasty woods come to mind; cottonwood for sure. I'm not fond of catalpa. bacterial infected oak is nasty, but I really can't take the acidic, resinous odor of the Bur oak that grows around here. I have to wear a respirator when I saw it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SawmillSylvia

I love cottonwood! It smells like swamp.

Spruce smells delicious, I can't get enough of green hemlock, and cedar is amazing until my eyes start itching. Fir is wonderful too. When I get lucky enough to work with Bubinga at the shop (obviously we don't get to mill bubinga), I smell like roses and I'm not going to whine about that. How can you choose which smells the best? The unique smells are some of the best parts of working with wood!

And I can't complain too much about diesel and saw gas mixed in either... the smell of production is too sweet.

(I spent the week ripping melamine and gluing edge banding for my day job, day dreaming about the smell of real wood... they all smell great compared to that stuff.) 

Satamax

Having recut a fair bit of lutherie wood.  I absolutely love European Yew. But i don't know about cuting it all day. As it realy has a strong smell. Belize cedar is nice too, but get sawdust on your tongue, and you'll regret it all day. Some rosewoods are fantastic, but i have encountered one or two which smell like but. And coccobolo smells like burnt caramel. Tho gets you rashes etc. Not a wood to cut without a propper mask.  I can't remember if it's frake, but there's an african exotic wood which smells like poo.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

Abies concolor or white fir. It smells like oranges...
It's noted for the  longest lasting Christmas tree.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!