iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worst smelling wood and best smelling wood?

Started by RayRayYJ, October 21, 2016, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmbrcruiser

The foul smell in some trees is a result of a bacterial infection. Maybe one of the foresters could add to this. I grew up logging and when I was in the woods cutting timber older loggers would call some oaks cat pi_ _ oaks because of the smell. When the sap is up cutting into a wind shake will at time release a spray of foul smelling water.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DannyLand

I concur with Black Birch being great wonderful to cut based on smell, but I also love the smell of white oak, possibly because it smells like good whiskey and bourbon.   Black locust I dislike but Im not sure why. It just makes me grumpy to cut it.   
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

Percy

Quote from: RayRayYJ on October 21, 2016, 12:32:20 PM
I've been milling now for a year and a bit, so I have limited experience as in the number of species I've cut, but some trees are far more enjoyable to the nose.

Just resawed some oak and man it smells awful! Milled a bunch of big leaf maple and it's not as bad as those oak boards, but smell like burnt b-hole.

Never Milled when I lived in KY, but do most hardwoods stink when you mill them?

I sure do appreciate Doug Fir and Western Red Cedar now!

What's your worst and best smelling?
:D :D :D Burnt b-hole :D :D :D Thats gotta hurt  :D :D :D :D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

dgdrls

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 21, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
I think locust wood stinks...

Especially when its been down a while and the bark is slipping/coming off

D

crowhill

The worst! To this day I'm not sure what it was but, my Dad said it was Horse Chestnut. It was bad enough when I cut it frozen, then I filled the wood box near the stove, it thawed and smelled soo bad! Smelled just like the old wood floor in the horse barn..
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

longtime lurker

Quote from: 5quarter on October 22, 2016, 01:35:54 AM
Quote from: longtime lurker on October 21, 2016, 09:01:58 PM
Worst:  Silver quandong smells like vomit...

Silver quandong sounds like vomit... ;) :D

Silver Quandong is an interesting timber. Off white with a real light yellow tint to it and a silvery kind of sheen when finished, it's a nice wood to work with, but it's got a little claim to fame: strongest timber for its weight in the world. Dunno if it really is or not, but that's what they say! Imagine if you would a board that'll carry the same structural loading as white oak, with a weight similar to SPF. Something to do with how the wood fibers are.
Tha takes it useful for things like yacht spars, oars, electric guitar cores and chairs, though white as a colour is out of fashion with the furniture guys here ATM.

Sometimes I get a kick out of talking about species you guys have never heard of. Sad part is since the finish of large scale rainforest logging here in the 80's most Australians ain't heard of them either. Makes market demand sporadic.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Percy

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: dgdrls on October 22, 2016, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on October 21, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
I think locust wood stinks...

Especially when its been down a while and the bark is slipping/coming off

D

Old locust may be foul but green locust always reminds me of green peanuts - yep we made it back to food again.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

AnthonyW

I don't mind eastern white pine, so I would file that under better smelling. I have always hated the smell of white oak, even before I was sawing it. It took me a while to pin point what it smells like. But it smells exactly like the inside of the dairy barn at the county fairs.  ::)
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Cedarman

I would be in trouble if I didn't like the aroma of ERC.
Raspberry Jam sounds like a wood I might like.
Old black locust is nasty.
If you get a whiff of Brazillian rosewood it is like breathing battery acid.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Satamax

Cedarman, that's weird. I have a few pieces of brazilian rosewood, and they smell nice when cut. Tho, these are dry.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

caveman

Cedar, camphor (which smells like Vick's Vapor Rub), pine-these all smell good to me.
Most wood that we pull out of the pond to saw will smell incredibly sour due to the anaerobic bacteria but the bark sluffs off easily.  The wet cedar bark looks like pulled park when it sluffs off but the sour smell permeates the area until the wood begins to dry.
Caveman

sawguy21

I had forgotten about cottonwood, hated bucking the stuff. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tule peak timber

Olive wood and White fir, best and worst !!!!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brian C.

I love the smell of most wood. Ash, white oak(reminds me of bourbon), sassafras, walnut, cherry..., but cutting black locust or cottonwood smell just nasty. Our mill is next to a horse manure pile and i think the manure smells better.

jmouton

ahhhh   the smell of fresh horse manure in the morning ,,  nothing like it ,,especially milling next to it when the wind is blowing our way and its hot ,,,,yum,yum

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Percy

Quote from: jmouton on October 24, 2016, 07:18:51 PM
ahhhh   the smell of fresh horse manure in the morning ,,  nothing like it ,,especially milling next to it when the wind is blowing our way and its hot ,,,,yum,yum

jim
:D :D Or when its stuck to the bottom of your workboot and you dont know it... ;D

4x4American

Happy Birthday Cedarman...

I was sawing some of that bacterial infected white oak today, and that was potent stuff.  It was just one log mixed in that I noticed.  I didn't mind, was like taking a shot of straight corn whiskey after throwing back some beers.
Boy, back in my day..

RayRayYJ

Makes me wonder if we're all talking the same species of cottonwood....I just bucked up a big one as part of a deal to get a bunch of free Doug fir and there was no smell! Our cottonwood here on the west coast is BIG, like 36" and bigger, usually bigger. Big, straight and apparently junk timber any ideas for cottonwood on a lucas????)....but no smell.

jclvsall

Worst is "Stinkwood" obviously!  AKA Ivory Mahogany. It smells like rotten onions.  I got used to it this summer when I conducted a bandsaw training in Vanuatu. Here is a pic of one of the students cutting with one of the donated LT15Ds.  By the time we finished the training I could find them growing in the jungle blindfolded!

Best is hackberry. Sometimes smells like snap peas. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Engineer

My favorite is either black or yellow birch.  Worst is red oak or black locust. 

drobertson

I can only imagine what many of you folks smelt, and yes a quick Sunday school answer would be they all smell like money, but the simple fact around here some, mostly a particular species of red oak, cat crap plainly describes it.  Hickory, pecan the sweetist  for me. Walnut is funky but tolerable, sassafras right up top for good, erc,  good but burns after a while the nostrils.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Luke_Eames

I like the smell of red oak.  I've been cutting so much of it lately that other woods smell funny... But now I know why my wife complains when I come in at night....
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

qbilder

Quote from: Satamax on October 23, 2016, 02:18:02 PM
Cedarman, that's weird. I have a few pieces of brazilian rosewood, and they smell nice when cut. Tho, these are dry.

Brazilian rosewood smells like chocolate.
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!