iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer lt 28 whine under load

Started by NPsawyer, October 28, 2016, 10:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPsawyer

Since this is my first post, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is John Stapleton. This past summer I purchased a woodmizer lt 28 and now have around 20 hours on it. What a great feeling taking logs and making them into my future quartersawn red oak floors 8). My problem started recently and consists of this:  my mill will make a whining noise; especially towards the middle of the cut when under a "heavy" load. I have set the drive tension to specs (14lbs at 7/16 deflection) and checked it several times. I found a loose brake pad and tightened that back down and adjusted it. That seemed to help for 100bf? but now the noise is back. It only makes this noise on wider cuts >1ft. When I put a fresh 4 degree blade on it saws sweet as can be noise free for several cuts but then the noise returns. The mill cuts consistently straight with equal board width, it just whines almost like a belt is slipping???  Any help from you veteran sawyers would be most appreciated.  Thanks again

Brucer

Welcome to the forum, John.

Does your LT28 have the power feed option? If it does, that could be the source of the whine.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

NPsawyer

It does have the power feed.  What could be going on with it to make it make a noise like that?   Thanks for your reply

NPsawyer

NPsawyer

Jeff

Upload to YouTube and then post the link.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scleigh

NP, I saw with an LT28 also. When making a wide cut, especially in hardwood, I have to pay attention to the feed rate. I usually start the cut slowly and then increase the feed rate until the engine starts to strain.  At that point I have an idea of how fast I can make the rest of the cuts.

If you feed too fast, the drive belt will squeal , slip and even smoke. Also, you can cut faster than the blade can handle. I would recommend slowing the feed raste, since it cuts good with a new blade but begins to whine as the blade dulls.

NPsawyer

It seems like its worse the slower I go. Hopefully that video helps??

Jeff

Sounds like a harmonic vibration to me. Hard to tell in 2 seconds.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NPsawyer (John).
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

Do you have lube going on your blade? I was cutting maple a few weeks ago and was being lazy about filling my water jug. My saw was making a howling sound, but as soon as I filled my jug and added water to the cut, all funny sounds went away.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ladylake

Could be the blade pushing back against the guide roller flanges, I run my guide flange 1/4" behind the blade with real good blade life, too close will break blades fast.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rougespear

I also get a similar sound under heavy load... haven't yet figured the cause.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

flyboy16101

Welcome to the Forum NPSawyer,
Mine dose the same thing I always assumed that it was normal and came with a heavy load/ going to fast. Never gave much thought to it.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

NPsawyer

Thanks for all the responses. I can't imagine this is normal, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. I just dont want to do any damage to the mill

Ga Mtn Man

Take a close (not too close) look at the blade guides when it's making the noise and see if the blade is running against the flange.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

If that feed rate is pressing the rollers then something bad is wrong. It had that as Jeff said a harmonic sound, bearings somewhere, the strange thing is others have the same or similar sounds.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

Take a magic marker and paint the guide wheel flange, I'll bet the  magic marker is gone off the flange soon as the blade is dull a little or pushing hard in wide cuts.  I think if the guide wheel is not very parallel with the blade they will make more noise when the blade hits the flange.  According to WM the exit side of the flange should hit the blade slightly before the entry side which will pull the blade up to the guide rather than push it down when it hits, makes sense so I try and adjust mine like that.  These higher HP mills running less hook blades are going to push the blade back a lot more than a 16hp mill running a 10° hook which might not push back at all until the blade is dull.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MartyParsons

Hello,
Blade hitting the flange of the roller. When you hear the noise slow the feed rate down and see if it stops. You can add a little more lube to the blade and see if this helps. You may also want to change the blade hook angle to a 9 or 7 Turbo.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

NPsawyer

Thanks again for the responses.  1). If this is a harmonic sound i.e. Bearing wouldnt it make the noise all the time
2) if the blade is contacting the guide flange is that something to b concerned about, should I adjust the blade out on the wheels so it's further away from guide rollers?

Magicman

Not necessarily.  Your blade/blade guide should be adjusted to the distance shown in your sawmill manual.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

I get the same sound on my lt40 when I saw large dry oak with a dull 10 degree blade. The teeth are scraping the wood rather than cutting...It's worse on a blade that has been sharpened and then set rather than set before sharpening. The raker teeth will be a bit higher. Set, then sharpen so all the teeth are the same height...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

NPsawyer

I will check the guide rollers the next day I can saw, thanks guys. @pineywoods: I don't have the equipment to sharpen/set my blades currently. These are all new blades from WM and I'll be sending them back for resaw. On a similar but separate note; for this mill with the 19 hp engine cutting mostly oak, at least for the foreseeable future, would a 9 or 10 degree blade be better for this application.

Also:
Quote from: MartyParsons on October 30, 2016, 04:39:58 PM
Hello,
Blade hitting the flange of the roller. When you hear the noise slow the feed rate down and see if it stops. You can add a little more lube to the blade and see if this helps. You may also want to change the blade hook angle to a 9 or 7 Turbo.
Hope this helps.
Marty

Marty the noise is significantly worse when I slow the mill down.

WV Sawmiller

I just checked the WM blade guide under their website and if I read it correctly they recommend a 4 degree blade for frozen or extreme hardwoods on all mills. If you have not tried 4 degree blades you might invest in a few and see if that helps. I use them on oak and ash, knotty pine, etc. If I could only pick one blade for my mill it would be the 4 degree. About the only time I use 10 degree blades as very soft wood like tulip poplar and clear pine.

(Maybe if you wear better hearing protection or get deaf enough like the rest of us you will quit hearing this whine :D :D)

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

al glenn

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I would remove the blade guide rollers and check the bearings. There is one  bearing inside and outside make sure one is not rough. Also check the flange of the roller, if one roller had stopped turning it may have a grove and causing the noise.
I watched the clip again, I think you are getting sawdust packed between the blade and the wood. Is there lots of sawdust between the cuts? Kinda like pancake flour. The top of the cant looks like sawdust packed. The noise does not start until the blade gets HOT?
IMHO I would not use 4 degree for this type of sawing. There may be some argument to this, with 19 hp and small logs use the 7/39 degree blade. Keep feed rate up, check drive belt tension. Saw like you stole it.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

NPsawyer

Thanks Marty.  I do get alot of sawdust packed on the boards after I cut but I just thought that was normal.  I will check the guide rollers Thursday when I'm off work. 

Does anyone think this noise is a big deal or am I just new and not sure what's important and not important??  Thanks for all the replies

Thank You Sponsors!