iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey locust dry with another wood??

Started by Brad_bb, January 11, 2019, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Sorry if I asked this in the past, but can Honey locust be kiln dried with any other wood?  I've been accumulating some table top slabs and 5/4 boards.  Some have been air drying for a year or more and some I just cut today(but I've had the logs in my concrete log yard over a year).

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WLC

I have no idea, but that sure is pretty wood!!!!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Brad_bb

Very dense and heavy, but yet, pretty.  I've always liked it.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The wood seems to surface check more easily than oak.  Dry it slowly.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brad_bb

From what I've read Gene, you seem very knowledgeable.  I don't have a kiln, so I was wondering if I could put with another species and have it kiln dried by someone?  I have some that has been air drying for a year plus, and this new stuff I'll let air dry a year first as well (5/4 boards).   I'm looking at using my 2.5" slabs for table tops first though.  They've been air drying for 1 or 2 years.  Was wondering if I could put those in with any other species?  

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With air dried, you can mix species and thicknesses of almost any species without risk using a reasonable start up procedure, and a depression that never exceeds 35 F.  However, never mix MCs.

There are modified schedules in Drying Hardwood Lumber that show groups of species that can be safely mixed at higher MCs than one-year air-dried.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!