iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying new chain saw

Started by Garry, January 12, 2005, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

To anyone buying a chain saw for the first time.Dont be afraid to spend a little extra $  and get a quality saw.Also dont be afraid of a bit more weight ,todays  good saws are well ballanced and you can get a Husky or a Sthil with over 70 cc and still weight under 15 lbs. You will never regret the extra power when you need it. These saws start easy and are a joy to use.I'm sure there are other makes on the market that compare,I just happen to have one of each of the above.
  When you get into burly oak etc. you will appreciate the extra cc.
         8) Garry  

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. What do you do in Renfrew, ON ??

I have an old Stihl and a new one, and sure wish the new one started as well as the old one.  :)  I grab the old 041 with 20" bar over the MS361 with 20" bar regularly. Just like the way the 041 starts on idle when warm, no choke set, nothing but the switch on. Fires on the first pull and idles away smoothly.
Have to dink around with the MS361 and set the choke on half, with throttle wide open, and pull twice (always) and then be quick to grab the throttle and stop it from winding up to high rpm. Hard to get used to that inconvenience, as I am so spoiled. Once it is running, then all works just fine with both saws. They are cutting fools.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Garry

Thanks for thr reply,
   I retired 3 years ago from my money making job and now do all the things i really love doing. Selling firewood on a small scale , about 40 face cords a year. besides cut about 18  for ourselves. My wife and I have a canoe and Kayak business that we run in the summer, also sell wholesale on the road 4 or 5 weeks spring and fall. 8)

Stephen_Wiley

QuoteI have an old Stihl and a new one, and sure wish the new one started as well as the old one.  :)  I grab the old 041 with 20" bar over the MS361 with 20" bar regularly.  

I too like the older model saws.........as all the newer MS series do not seem to have the same torque and performance of the older models.

Unfortunately, I am not the only one to realize this and as many of the older models become available, they are 'snatched up' at the saw shops.

Eventually will have to buy the newer as parts for the older become scarce. Pertty sad, that the folks bragging on the newer saws have to modify them to match the performance of the older. Must like throwing good dollars at bad omissions.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

tony_marks

ive heard much about some users having trouble with these newer saw..no doubt these new carbs are part of the problem..
   another factor tho in my opinion is just knowin u saw..
  im not talkin just knowing the basics ,they pretty simple.
  what im talkin is the fact that for me anyway,,  with enough time in the saw becomes almost part of your arm..you just know exactly what the saws doing all the time..
  as to modifying .. i gotta say i have three modified saws now..
 specifically ,modified for work ,not racing..
    the reason i took that step was having access ,and becoming friends with people who could really make an stock saw ,cut quite a bit faster an stronger.. wasnt necessary but im sure glad i had the oppotunity ,to  have it done..

rusted

Quote ive heard much about some users having trouble with these newer saw..no doubt these new carbs are part of the problem..
   another factor tho in my opinion is just knowin u saw..
  im not talkin just knowing the basics ,they pretty simple.
  what im talkin is the fact that for me anyway,,  with enough time in the saw becomes almost part of your arm..you just know exactly what the saws doing all the time..
  as to modifying .. i gotta say i have three modified saws now..
 specifically ,modified for work ,not racing..
    the reason i took that step was having access ,and becoming friends with people who could really make an stock saw ,cut quite a bit faster an stronger.. wasnt necessary but im sure glad i had the oppotunity ,to  have it done..

Can you go over what you've had done?  Do you feel it was worth it?  You said not neccessary, but now that you know would you do it again?

Thank You Sponsors!