iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Packing mules this summer

Started by ErikC, February 15, 2011, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikC

This was a trip I took for the county Historical Society. Another guy came too, named Larry, who works for the FS. They were surveying some old mining sites. The good news is they took lots of pictures, I seldom do. So here are a few.

on the trail

river crossing

leaving the river

trail work. I just love that hard dry stuff ::)

waiting patiently

putting the saw back on

A few minutes and down the road we go. We made two cuts, probably a 15-20 min delay all told.

there's a lot of this in packing ;)

after 10 miles of rough travel, this box hitch still looks pretty good :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

That's good stuff right there.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I've passed many logs that the FS has sawed out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

sandhills

Those really are good pictures and awesome scenery I might ad.

fishpharmer

Great pictures!!!   Any fish in that river? What kind? :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ErikC

You're obsessed :D That is Eagle Creek, a fork of the New River Branch of the Trinity river. It has been closed to fishing several years now, but was well known for excellent steelhead runs and salmon. You can see them, 10 -15 lbs, finning around in the deep holes from the trail sometimes. :) It is a spectacular rugged river system, that is almost entirely in the wilderness area.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

submarinesailor

Quote from: ErikC on February 15, 2011, 04:02:11 PM
It has been closed to fishing several years now, but was well known for excellent steelhead runs and salmon.

Erik - do you know why the river is closed to fishing????  I wonder if it is from heavy metals due to mining.  Didn't they mine a lot of gold in that area?

Bruce

ErikC

They mined that area extensively, and I bet it was a real mess, but the river is as clean as can be now. The reasons are not related to how safe the fish are for eating, they are fine.  Several of the main tributary streams of the Trinity have been closed or severely restricted to fishing because of spawning habitat. I don't really buy into it, but the rules are what they are :-\ I used to fish most of them as a kid, and wish they were still open. :'(

Ron Scott

Nice pack train and trail work photos.
~Ron

treefarmer87

thats looks like great fun 8) good pics.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

fishpharmer

Quote from: ErikC on February 15, 2011, 04:02:11 PM
You're obsessed :D

Have you been talking to my wife?   :D   She says that too. 

Seems like they would allow catch and release. 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ErikC

Quote from: treefarmer87 on February 19, 2011, 10:50:29 AM
thats looks like great fun 8) good pics.
It is my favorite way to make a paycheck by far :)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!