iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using dead standing hemlock, red pine and white pine & best transport in forest

Started by LoggingOn, July 24, 2011, 09:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoggingOn

I have land that is water-access only and has abundant hemlock and red and white pine. The terrain is rocky and uneven. I would like to selectively cut down the dead standing trees (no foliage and upper branches clearly rotting, but trunk appears solid) and use these for the first timbers for a cabin (old style: logs on rocks form the "foundation" and then 2x4 infill with board and batten). My questions are:[1] if the trunk looks solid, no rot in the sap-wood or core, can I use the wood for this purpose? [2] What is the best way to move 16 ft x 20" diameter logs (hemlock) without the aid of combustion or horses? Is there any device that works like rollers to assist with this--I do not have the space to roll the logs laterally; I will have to pull them along in direction of their long axis. Thanks for any advice.
Chris

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

I would be suspect of any dead standing timber that has rotten limbs in the top, for any structural use.
However, these suspect logs may get sorted out while handling them and cutting the ends to expose the wood. Use the screwdriver test to see if the wood is decayed. Cabin logs decay fast enough, without using any that have initial decay already present.  Myself, I'd just drop the dead standing, and use fresh green timber to reward your work.

For moving them, I'd suggest looking at some of the capstan winch rigs that have a small gas engine, and a capstan to wrap a rope around for pulling logs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Welcome LoggingOn, to the Forestry Forum.  You seriously limited your log handling options when you eliminated horse and combustion.  Check these out:   http://www.logrite.com/

I have sorta "longlined" logs out by using a series of pulleys and carefully plotting a skid path.  Of course that long cable was attached to the drawbar on my tractor.   ;)

Squaring the logs and removing the sapwood may reveal sound heartwood inside.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!