iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cordless chain saw

Started by Doug Wis, September 25, 2018, 10:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

Bought one this summer. Just got done sawing some 16' white pine that have been laying too long. Don't know about other areas of the country, but here in nw wi the gravity is definitely get stronger, cause those 16' slabs sure were a lot heavier than they used to be. I would move the slab abit and slip a bit of edging under it  to keep from cutting into the log below .and grab the saw and make 2 8' slabs. much easier to handle. Also alot handier to  cut off that offending knot that sticks out . I found I was doing trimming and cutting that I wouldn't have done if I had to start the gas saw. If any of you less young guys have been thinking about one , I sure would recommend it. Not something I would want to log with, but I did make 2 8's out of a couple of 16's logs that were 12" 14" without much trouble.  Its a lynx from HF. Cost ,me about $225 with tax and an extra battery.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

hopm

My dad is 78 and has had rotator cuff problems. Starting a saw was a big problem for him and very painful. We bought him the Dewalt battery saw. It has done more than I ever expected. He was laughing that it killed his breaks. With a gas saw he got a break when he had to refuel, but the battery last way longer than a tank of gas.

opticsguy

Purchased the Milwaukee Cordless Saw about 2-3 weeks ago.  Really really handy for quick odd jobs and also can cut up a lot of logs on one charge.  Does not replace a Gas saw for bigger jobs but the cordless can still do a lot of work and the first saw I now grab for easy and fast projects.  
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Magicman

I bought a (refurbished) Ryobi 40v brushless chainsaw from Direct Tools and have been very surprised and pleased at what it will do.  I already had the string trimmer and hedge trimmer so the same batteries fit them all.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DMcCoy

I bought a lynx as well and have been really happy with it so far.  Surprising just how well it cuts. 

alan gage

Was helping a fried cut down a big oak the other day and he had a cordless dewalt that the least experienced guy was using to cut off all the small limbs. I was surprised at how well it did and how long the battery seemed to last. Only thing I didn't like was that the lack of noise might lead to a lack of respect. A cordless saw just doesn't sound as scary.

I didn't pay any attention but do they have a chain oiler?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Revival Sawmill

All the ones I've seen have chain oilers.  They concern me a bit, since they still have full torque at near no speed - if you've got any creep or don't take your finger off the trigger completely, they will do some damage... 

Southside

It's my understanding that chaps don't do nearly as well in protecting you against those either - maybe it's due to the torque range.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Revival Sawmill

Plus, there's no red-hot muffler conveniently located at the front of the saw to cauterize your wounds...  ;)

alan gage

Just realized the humor in the threads title. We all own cordless chainsaws but apparently our brains have been trained to associate cordless to battery powered.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SawyerTed

Alan, you found a diplomatic way to say what I was thinking - "Aren't most chainsaws cordless?"  

Years ago I wanted a cordless electric drill/driver for Christmas.  My wife asked what I wanted and I said, "A cordless screwdriver."  She never understood.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

alan gage

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 26, 2018, 01:16:26 PM

Years ago I wanted a cordless electric drill/driver for Christmas.  My wife asked what I wanted and I said, "A cordless screwdriver."  She never understood.
We've been using electric impact drivers and ratchets in the shop for years but we still tend to call them air guns and air ratchets. ::)
Alan

Southside

Quote from: alan gage on September 26, 2018, 11:20:54 AM
Just realized the humor in the threads title. We all own cordless chainsaws but apparently our brains have been trained to associate cordless to battery powered.

Alan
To be technical about it - not true - unless you have some sort of fancy alternative starting method to that gas saw, it has a pull cord.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Doug Wis

Alan you are right . Never even thought about it that way. Our minds are  trained now to associate  cordless to mean battery powered. duh
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sealark37

Has anyone had a chance to try out the Husqvarna battery operated saw?  I looked at one at the farm store last week, but I am hesitant to lay out the cash without some reference.   Regards, Clark

tawilson

Quote from: sealark37 on September 27, 2018, 09:48:34 AM
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Husqvarna battery operated saw?  I looked at one at the farm store last week, but I am hesitant to lay out the cash without some reference.   Regards, Clark
Yes I have had one for a couple years and am happy with it. Also comes with a 2 year warranty.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Mountain_d

I have an inexpensive Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) 20 volt and find it handy around the sawmill. I cut long slabs in half also and trim boards that wane off to the proper length as they sit on the cant. I also cut my edgings into stickers with it. I do not use it in the winter so I use cheap canola oil instead of chain oil. That way I can use it during the deer hunt for butchering (split spine). I find the canola is cheaper than chain oil and likely good enough for the amount of heat generated on the chain of the battery saw. 
Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

ljmathias

I have the Stihl battery chain saw. Small and light enough I could use it when my torn rotator cuff was healing. Found it works great for small jobs. In fact, yesterday took down a 6" white oak that had died in the front yard- root rot?

Sliced off the limbs, made some fire wood and left about 6' of trunk to try to get some boards from. All in all, this saw works fine but battery life is short. It does have a chain oiler but the biggest problem is remembering to put oil in. With my gas powered saws, every fill up involves both gas and oil, but timing isn't quite right on battery recharge for oil refill. Oh, well, good and bad.

Speaking of battery life, anyone else have problems with Dewalt cordless batteries not lasting? I've got about 30 of them that won't recharge- just sit there in the charger with no light coming on. Finally bought some aftermarkets- hope they last longer than the Dewalt versions. In fact, despite having about 20 drills, drivers, saws and whatevers, I'm going to switch to a different brand- suggestions?

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

alan gage

I have a contractor friend with lots of Dewalt tools and I've never heard him complain about batteries. I know he has some old (6-7 years) batteries that don't hold a charge well anymore but he seems to be happy for the most part. Most of his are the larger 4-6 amp/hour batteries. 

I needed a couple Dewalt batteries a couple months ago and looked into aftermarket to save some money but saw too many bad reviews so bit the bullet and bought the Dewalts. 

Alan

Magicman

There is a long topic in the Chainsaw Board.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

I purchased a Husqvarna battery powered saw last week.  The battery would not take a charge.  I called Customer Service, who put me in touch with a dealer who did warranty work.  Dealer told me it might be a while, as they had never worked on a battery saw.  It has been one week.   Regards, Clark

stihltoomany

I assume you have the nicad batteries and I have heard several complaints about them not lasting very long but they do make an adapter to use the new lithium ion batteries 20 volt on the older 18 volt tools that worked on nicads I have several of these lithium ion batteries and they seem to be holding up well
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

ljmathias

Sorry, should have specified- I do have the 20v lithium batteries and they're the ones not holding up. Even ones less than 2 years old. Bummer. I keep hoping someone will come up with a simple way to rejuvenate them, hence my workbench covered in 5 or 6 chargers and a couple dozen dead batteries.

I also bought 4 of the adapters to make the new 20v's work with the old 18v sockets. Work fine except for the main problem- not enough good batteries to go around.

My SIL has a Porter-Cable he got cheap and his batteries are holding up way better than mine. Anyone else try PC? Anyone else have good luck with an alternative brand?

Thanks all.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

I very seriously doubt that there will be any Li-Ion batteries "rejuvenated".  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!