iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Value $$ or Use from Opening Cut(s) of Log} Barked Wood Cuts.. Fire Wood ?

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 24, 2009, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

Opening question, what value can be made from scagg wood from opening cuts of logs. Does it have any value (hardwood) for lower end $$ firewood ? I hate to see anything go to waste if some value can be rendered.

The saw dust should not be a big issue. Perhaps I could sell it for cow beding, also, I will not have that much sawdust for small operation to worry about.

Let me know your uses for this scagg wood.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Dan_Shade

I burn slabwood for firewood.  but I've found that the flat faces will mold when stacked against each other.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

breederman

You can make slap benches/tables etc out of some of the thicker ones.I like rustic  furniture. :)
Together we got this !

Tom

"Scagg wood" is a new term to me.  If you are talking of the first cuts from the outside of the log, those that have round surfaces, They are slabs to me.  They are also, technically speaking, flitches.   A flitch is a piece sawed off of a log that has at least one flat side, but it is usually a term reserved for board that need trimming.  So a slab is flitch, but a flitch isn't necessarily a slab.  :)

Slabs are used to make rustic furniture, if sawed thick enough.  They are also used for mantel pieces, shelving, treads for stairs, handrails, and trim.  To use one for trim,you lay it, sawed side down, on a tablesaw and cut 1" boards from it.  It produces "live edge" trim, usually from red cedar.

Slabs are also used for fuel.  They are sold by the truckload for woodstove fuel , fireplace fuel and also campsite wood.

Slabs and sawdust can be composted for dirt enhancement.

Thick slabs can be used for garden liners and just turned into the garden as they rot.

Some woods, like hickory, make good cooking wood and the slabs can be sold as such. You can make little sticks, or chip them and bag the chips.

Frickman

Most of our slabs go into firewood. I have a cousin who will sometimes pick through the pile and find pieces to build wishing wells and other lawn ornaments with. The real big sawmills chip them for pulp mills.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

wi woodcutter

Slab wood is not worth much around here. One guy I know bundles them up and sell the slabs for $30 it probably is about a cord of wood. A lot of guys use them in outdoor wood burners, some just pile them up and burn 'em. 
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

ohsoloco

I have a very small operation as well, and I either burn all of the slabs I produce, or sell them as firewood.  If they're really thick slabs (from really irregular logs), I sell it as regular firewood.  The normal, thinner stuff I sell a little cheaper.  When I first started I couldn't give the stuff away unless I delivered it  ::)  As soon as I put a price on it I never had enough.

I like to keep the edgings for myself.  Let 'em dry, then bundle them up with ratchet straps and buck them to length.  Saves a lot of splitting for the wood stove  ;)

As mentioned, be careful how you stack them...get those flat faces together than they'll just mold and never really dry.

sixgun44

I use to buy the slab wood for my and a good friend's wood stove.  $40 for a huge bundle delivered, was about a cord of oak n hickory and a great value.   ;)
He who plants a tree,  plants hope.  :)

tughill

I'm wondering if maybe he meant scragg?  Around here hardwood scragg is about the same grade log as firewood, but is sent to the mill, often sold by the ton, to be run through a scragg mill which is hard for me to describe, but basically takes firewood logs and makes lumber that's only suitable for pallets or crating.  As far as I know, with sawlog prices being what they are, scragg is worth about nothing, so the best use commercially of scragg logs would be to sell for firewood.

My .02$
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

H60 Hawk Pilot

Tughill

You are correct, a local pallet mill has scragg left overs from their operation. They shoot them into in a dump truck & sale them to the locals for fire wood.

Thank's everyone for your input(s) and muti use of barked wood from opening cut of logs i.e.  slab wood (scragg) for fire wood and rustic furniture items, boards with bark face, etc. .

Avery 
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!