iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Done did it!--Updated--Pics--Video

Started by inspectorwoody, November 27, 2010, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

Magicman

I doubt that you will need as many parts as you anticipate.  You will find WM's prices very competitive and they ship immediately.  Their traveling service is also an option for a badly out of whack mill.  I've had three in nine years and each time I felt that I got value for my dollar.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

You can;t go wrong with a wm there the best , im on my 3th wm .good luck  8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

At least you have the lumber grading part covered ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

inspectorwoody

Manuals came with the mill.

I have my customer number and should be able to use that this week.  :)

The parts list is pretty handy.

The manual on setup, maintenance etc. looks pretty good too but I haven't been able to find a few things. I could be over looking them as I've just bounced around from here to there.

Got it under cover this afternoon. Thankful for that. We're suppose to have rain etc. tomorrow.

Will have my first logs pretty soon too.  ;D Natalie's uncle wants a nice sized Ash tree taken down.

Having the grading knowledge and the sawing experience will be a huge benifit to my own little deal. It will take some getting used too using a small band. You can beat up on the big bands and for the most part they will hold up.

With winter setting in, I'm going to try and do as much as I can, but when it starts getting cold, I'll hold off till spring. I don't think any of us like working on cold metal.  :D

I'll be doing a lot of  :P

I wish I would have done a little more research on the engine. The Onan P24 has been discontinued and just some searching online shows parts are a little hard to come by. Fresh fuel, oil change and some carb clean and we'll see what happens. It runs, but it lacked care and hopefully I can get back in shape.

If nothing else, I know where I can get a new one.

pineywoods

woody, I wouldn't sweat the onan. Given reasonable care, they last a long time. I think woodmizer still offers a conversion kit to install a kohler. I swapped out the 18 hp briggs on mine for a 25 hp kawasaki. Motor swaps are quite easy IF you hold the weight down. I was back sawing the next day.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

customdave

Looks in great shape for the year!! Good find, enjoy & play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Brucer

nice find. How many hours?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tronvik

Woody, I have just installed a kohler 18hp command on my lt30. It had a kohler k321 14hp until three years ago when I installed a 13hp chinahonda, those cast iron engines sure have more torque than a new engine. The 18hp kohler runs so quiet and smooth I can over look things like a fuel sol. on the carb. The fake honda was way under powered, and has been donated to a pirate friends log splitter. My lt40 has the original onan 20hp that has 1400 hours, I grow tired of carb. problems and adjustments. Just remember when you do replace a engine, There is no replacement for displacement.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

inspectorwoody

Thought I would give an update.  :)

I bought a ShelterLogic 10x20 canopy along with the enclosure kit. Took some self drilling screws and screwed every joint. It used the bungee balls to attach the canopy and sides and once they were on, we took small zip ties and went around the bungee cord so the ball couldn't back out. Found some steel foot pads to replace the plastic ones and used some Tapcon screws to fasten to the concrete. A bolt through the pad and the leg of the canopy keeps everything attached. We used some ratchet straps to make it more stable. It has held up well considering it is only suppose to be a temporary structure. It will come down this fall as I can get the mill back in the barn.

I have rebuilt the blade tensioner, put in a new toe board seal with springs, new fuel tank, filter and lines, new water jug, fittings and line, rebuilt the clamp, and new belts.

The following pictures will be of before the work was done shots.

The plate of the swinging bed rails had to be straightened.

Some work had to be done on a few of the main bed rails also.

The Onan got fresh oil, oil filter, air and pre-filter and plugs. It seems to run well. Has a little bit of a spit/sputter to it but I'll wait to do anything until after I see how it runs under load.

The winch was junk so I'll have to pick up a new one.

I'll post some a few videos I made of the clamp rebuild and polishing the rail if all goes well and I get it figured out.  :D

inspectorwoody

Here is a couple videos. First time making something like this and I need some practice.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/v/ctmqzh6Fmq0?version=3"

http://www.youtube.com/v/7Vox-Mq09KA?version=3

pineywoods

You don't need much practice ! Excellent videos. And the music ain't bad either. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

inspectorwoody

Thanks Pineywoods.  :)

I've never messed with Windows Movie maker etc. so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  :D

terrifictimbersllc

Enjoyed watching your videos, nice job.  I have thought several times about making pvc covers for my rail too.  Now I know the size you used & what slot to cut, maybe I'll get around to it. Thanks! 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

I had the same winch come with my millback in "93, I got tired of having to answer to " What is that winch there for " and took it off. I had never used it on the mill and never missed it , so don't go rushing into a store to buy one  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buck

lol, I have one in the shed too. Dont need it on the mill.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

inspectorwoody

I'm sure I'll get a new one, just not sure when.

I can see where it would benifit in more ways than one.

isawlogs

When you do find all that out , let me know , it was on the manual mills and just stayed onto the hydraylic mills. the year after or the next it was taken off the hydraulic mills. I can see where it was usefull on the manuals, but not on hydraulics.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ljmathias

Back when I had my manual LT30, I had the winch on it- cranked it occasionally just to see if it was still functional but never had any use for it.  It's too slow for use unless that's all you have.  Much better to have a tractor with forks or a FEL on it, or better yet, a log deck with easy to roll up wood ramps with notches to hold the logs while you cant-hook them up...  Now that I have a hydraulic LT40, can't think of any use for a winch on the mill at all.   ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

inspectorwoody

After some discussion with another forum member and measuring etc., the gap in the PVC should be 3/4", not the 1/2" earlier stated.

Thank You Sponsors!