iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ pine harvesting pics

Started by Ianab, September 25, 2011, 01:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Here are some pics of the operation going on at the moment out at my old farm.

Sharon is getting a small plantation of Radiata Pine harversted from a steep gully / hillside on the farm. It was planted in pines about 25 years ago as it's too steep for cattle to graze (safely anyway).

Makes for a big of a challenge come harvest time, but a local 2 man crew are gettiing it done. Spring here so the weather is a bit marginal, but they have pretty good access to the site for the trucks to get in, and it's downhill once they are loaded, then onto a good gravel track. So they have started this job, and will leave some other until things dry out.

Looking down on the landing from the other direction.

Excavator, log sorting deck and graded logs stacked for pickup.

Skidder and some curious cows.

A 25 hear old pine stump. OK this was bigger than average, it was on the edge of the stand, and in some good soil, but that's my size 11 boot on it.

Skid trail that's been cut up the side of the hill. Pretty steep.

Downed trees waiting to be skidded out.

A couple of future problems. The soil is a bit unstable in places and a few trees have done this. But they have the digger and skidder to to be able to extricate them safely.

I will go out again when there is some action happening and get some more interesting shots. I know the logger as his daughters attends the same kindy as Lara does.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

Interesting to see.  Impressive pine growth rate.  Must be because those trees always have the top pointed down. :D ;)
  Thank you. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

treefarm

Spectacular looking country out beyond in that second pic!
Tom
Treefarm

Ianab

Quote from: treefarm on September 25, 2011, 04:13:04 AM
Spectacular looking country out beyond in that second pic!
Tom

That's on an overcast day too....

On a clear day this is the view. Taken a few years back from the top of the hill above the pines.

You can see the same silver shed in both pictures.

This is the stream down in the valley below the farm house and that shed.

Sorry I can't resist the scenic shots   :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Very nice view. Looks like hilly,rolling country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarm

Wow-thank you for sharing that Ian! We're in New Hampshire and have land in Colorado, about 2000 miles from here. Our neighbors there go to NZ every other year or so (and they actually got married there @ 20 years ago) and love it there. They showed us lots of pictures and it looks like quite the country!

tom
Treefarm

barbender

There must be some trout in that stream Ian? Beautiful country.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on September 25, 2011, 10:48:45 AM
There must be some trout in that stream Ian? Beautiful country.

That stream isn't known for trout, further downstream it's very silty / muddy because of the terrain it runs though. The streams up here closer to the Mt are steeper, colder and more rocky. Better trout habitat. The Patea river which flows through town is a well known trout stream.

That stream probably has some pretty impressive freshwater eels though.

Ian

Corley5

Quote from: Ianab on September 25, 2011, 02:47:52 PM
That stream probably has some pretty impressive freshwater eels though.

Ian

Are they good to eat  ???

Cool logging pics  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ianab

QuoteAre they good to eat 

Very nice smoked with some manuka wood chips. ;) :)

Ian

Ernie

Nice pics Ian.  What are the logs destined for, the mill or the port and what sort or prices were achieved?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Quote from: Ernie on September 25, 2011, 09:38:32 PM
Nice pics Ian.  What are the logs destined for, the mill or the port and what sort or prices were achieved?

They are being harvested and sold by FOMS - http://www.foms.co.nz/index.php

They will be going to local mills, export, pulp and even firewood, depending on log grades.

Don't know what sort of prices Sharon is getting, but the marketing seems pretty good as the logs end up where they fetch the best price.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!