iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Giant Sequoias In England than California

Started by peakbagger, March 13, 2024, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePineJunky

They are grand trees! I think my moist mild area would be alright for them although not in my life time If the tree survived, 200 years from now you'd be able to see the tree from town! Lol I'm sure they'd sky scraper  over white pines which are the highest in my area

clearcut

Sorry, but the Giant Sequoia Lands Coalition reported planting 119,000 giant sequoia seedlings in 2023 alone. They plant similar numbers annually and have been doing so for decades. 

The number growing in the UK seems to be well supported. 

SPI, the largest private landowner in the country (2.4 million acres) plants giant sequoia as a regular part of their mix, and have done so for decades. 

The source of the 80,000 number is not cited in the publication, nor have I been able to find any peer reviewed papers that support that claim. It is also not cited in the original paper that this article was derived from. 

I can only find it, though not cited, in this Wikipedia article. The article is also incorrect in that Giant sequoia is not listed as endangered in California. 

Perplexity.ai notes the following:

Quote"The information provided in the Wikipedia entry about the giant sequoia being listed as an endangered species by the IUCN is inaccurate. The giant sequoia, scientifically known as Sequoiadendron giganteum, is not listed as endangered by the IUCN. Instead, it is the coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) that was listed as endangered under the IUCN Red List in 2013
[color=rgb(100 100 95/var(--tw-text-opacity))][color=var(--tw-prose-links)]1[/url][/color][/font][/font][/size][/color]
. The giant sequoia is endemic to California and is classified as G3, meaning it is not facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild
[color=rgb(100 100 95/var(--tw-text-opacity))][color=var(--tw-prose-links)]2[/url][/color][/font][/font][/size][/color]
.The confusion might have arisen due to the similar names of these two species, but it is essential to clarify that the giant sequoia is not currently listed as endangered by the IUCN."
Carbon sequestered upon request.

SwampDonkey

Tried to grow one here about 40 years ago. It never took.  ffcheesy  There were bush and tree nurseries sending spring catalogs all the time with stuff not for this climate. People got took into thinking they could grow stuff here because it was in the particular magazine that came. Still local grocery stores will bring in Magnolia and those invasive tree of heaven trees to sell. Never saw one to ever take, but a tree of heaven will die back to the ground and sprouts new shoots every spring like that bamboo weed.  :snowball:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DrLang

Living in Pennsylvania, anyone selling tree of heaven in North America at this point should be slapped so hard that they forget math.

Ianab

They are grown here in NZ, although they seem a bit fussy about climate. I didn't see this one on our Sth Island visits, but the climate around Queenstown seems to agree with them. Probably more similar to the Inland Mt areas they come from?  This one has a girth at breast height of about 50 ft. so a dbh of about 16'. It was planted in 1870,  

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/nzl/newzealand/southisland/19557_frankton/

Climate where I live is wetter and milder, so Coast redwoods do better around here. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DrLang

We're dealing with a severe invasion of spotted lantern fly right now. They seem to need tree of heaven to reproduce, but then go on to severely damage most other trees. They have few natural predators here and are just everywhere in the summer. And then with tree of heaven itself being such a noxious weed, no one should be intentionally planting it here.

Ianab

I think in SD's case, they aren't an invasive, due to the climate. Most of them simply die in the Winter. It's more of a plant store scam, sell you a plant that they know will die in 6 months. They are classed as a weed here in NZ, but not a serious one. 

Ironically Pohutukawa, which is a much loved native tree here, is considered an invasive in other parts of the World. SD need not worry about it either, because it's frost tender and wont survive his Winter either. But in warmer coastal areas, it's a weed
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

We've got other imports like Norway maple and black locust and bristly locust, that don't go anywhere because of climate and they can't compete with native trees that are much more tolerant of shade or out grow them quickly.  Even box elder or what we call Manitoba maple, is not native to New Brunswick, and is not all that great of a competitor. It needs open areas to survive like lawns and river banks. It's not very frost hardy either, a lot of die back, and does not grow very tall compared to a sugar maple or a fir tree. Only very select places that it can survive. Planted religiously around houses years ago, but not these days.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Yeah, what's invasive in one place might need intensive care to even survive someplace else.  

We have introduced weeds of course. Gorse is a good example. If you neglect farmland, it will grow gorse. But in the longer term, it dies off and native trees and ferns grow up through it. Gorse doesn't grow under a sheltered canopy, so the 2nd generation isn't gorse. 

My book on "Native Forest Regeneration", has the option of "Do Nothing". In most cases the native trees will eventually win the fight.  

We have species that are basically "naturalised" now. Not so much invasive, and not considered a weed. Trees like Prunus avium, it's called  Bird Cherry in the US I think? It's not native to either the US or NZ, but it's not any ecological disaster either. It's close enough to your local cherry  that wildlife treats it the same. Birds here didn't evolve with Cherry trees, but they have learned to love them. But they aren't shade tolerant, so don't tend to invade the native forest. 

Ianab

Article here about how the Giant Redwoods actually grow well in the English climate, many of them matching the growth rates from their native areas. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/redwoods-are-growing-almost-as-fast-in-the-uk-as-their-californian-cousins/

I wonder if the 80,000 trees quoted is the "untouched" forest, with the really old giant trees. The species isn't endangered, because it's been re-planted in the US, and in other places around the World. They figure the UK now has ~500,000 giant redwood growing. But the 500K English trees are mostly planted ones, and compare with the 5 mil (?) planted ones in the US?

It's also notable that they are now the tallest trees in the UK, as none of the native species get much over 150 ft, no matter how old they are. 

It may also be like Pinus Radiata, Monterrey Pine. In it's native California it's an  Endangered Species. But here in NZ there is truck and trailer load hauled though town every 10 mins, 5 days a week. It's also grown commercially in Chile and Australia. So it's not going extinct any time soon. But the original "wild" trees are threatened. 

RPF2509

Clearcut is right in that the 80K is undercounting giant sequoias.  They are planted as part of commercial timberland for future harvest.   There are also planted as ornamentals though you better be careful planting them too close to infrastructure.  The 80K probably refers to the ancient ones, many of which have been lost recently due to wildfire.  They are also planted out of California.  The Oregon State campus has 100 year old ones that are pushing 12' in diameter and close to 200' tall.   Too far north and they don't like extended extreme cold.  

Thank You Sponsors!