iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter sawing

Started by Allen S, November 19, 2014, 10:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen S

Need a little help can someone tell me the process of quarter sawing a log and what kind of wood to saw that way. I take it that it changes the grain of the wood thanks.

Magicman

Here is a rather extensive thread that has been going on for about a week now; Rift sawing a log vs. rift sawn lumber.  It also includes much information about QS.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good reply Magic. Allen, there are several videos on YOU TUBE you can look at showing QS Technics.
At times I QS quite a few logs for just 1 customer but I still go and re-watch the You Tube videos on QS.
It just interest me that much.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Allen S

Thanks men I will go to you tube would like to see it done. I think it would help if I seen it done. Does it matter what size log that you can saw like that.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My favorite......if I can say that  ;D.......is a log at least with a 20" diameter and the pith running in a straight line, centered from one end to the other.

Also look at the thread Magicman was talking about. There are some do's and don't's in that thread showing off centered piths and what value they have. Enjoy reading that thread....its pretty good.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

It is a lot of turning and time consuming on a band mill but very easy to do with a swinger.  I QS almost all of my oak and sycamore with my Peterson that is 20" dia. or more.  I recently sawed a 48" red oak almost entirely QS and it made beautiful mostly 8" to 10" wide lumber.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!