iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few more woodland flowers/plants in NB

Started by SwampDonkey, June 14, 2008, 07:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I think we have identified most of these before.

There are two little flowers at the bottom (light pink) and one off to the top left of the picture. They are attached to that orange fringed plant. That's as tall as the plant grows and it has runners like strawberry. Edible to. ;D

There is a fruit stalk to the right of the top leaf, kinda turned black. Hard to see.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

Time to get this thread rolling eh?

#1  Fireweed/Rosebay willowherb.

#4  Stone bramble  Rubus saxatilis

#8  Yellow ladyslipper orchid  Cypripedium calceolus

The rest I'm working on, or should say, hav'nt gotta clue!
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

#1 nope, leaves are clasping and stock is round and hairy on this one.

I'm not sure of the species yet of #1 and #2, but they strongly favour the sunflower/aster family in my mind's eye.

#4 It is a Rubus, known as dwarf raspberry R. pubescens.

#8 Yes, provincial flower of N.S.

#9 is a type of fern.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Jeff probably has # 9 in small openings on his woodlot. ;)

SwampDonkey

I've got one more sample to add in here today. It's a herb with a small range, but it grows in NB and in a handful of US states. It's under my feet in a section I'm thinning out. Looks kinda like poison ivy leaf.  :o But, not exactly or I'd be blistered and lamb basted.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Here is the plant and I haven't a clue. It grows by rhizomes I think because it was covering a large area of 20 m wide in under mixed growth of aspen and sugar maple and ash. The ground has rich soil and no surface stones. The kind of stuff out of the bag.  It was a couple feet tall. It's not the plant I thought from this morning.

It's not bane berry and not poison ivy, no vine or oily hairs.  ;D

SwampDonkey

This plant is not in any book I have.  :-\ It seems to be doubly serrate and lobed somewhat. Quite a difference in the basal leaves and the top leaves. They are in a whorled arrangement coming off one point on the stem as you can see. The stem is hairless, round and succulent.

SwampDonkey

#5 is edible, but be sure to cook the root before eating or your mouth will be on fire far worse than any chilly pepper you ever ate.  :o

SwampDonkey

# 3 is a very deceptive little plant. Those white parts are not petals of a flower, they are sepals and the tiny flowers are in the centre.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Been finding the odd butternut seedling around our current thinning site. None have been taller than 3 feet so far. There is a small clump of mature ones about 1/4 mile away along a nearby road.

And of all things to find on a hardwood site is mountain holly. That's usually a swamp or bog shrub. They must have seeded in by birds from along the lower Guizaquit Brook, which isn't far away.

SwampDonkey

Well here are some answers:

#3 bunch berry

#5 Jack-in-the-pulpit

#6 spotted touch-me-not / jewel weed

#7 false Solomon's seal

#9 sensitive fern

Timburr

SwampDonkey, hate to see you goin' this thread alone, so I've invited myself in!  :D

Are you any closer to identifying #1, 2 and 10 yet?

Could #1 be Anaphalis margaritacea?   Or it could belong to genera solidago, gnaphalium, senecio (fluviatalis?) or even an inula?     It looks well stipule-ated with a distinct lack of a petiole.    Are the leaf margins entire or serrate and what's it's vein structure like?

#10 looks like a possible candidate for the Rosaceae family.   An odd one.   I've never seen anything like it!

We'll let #2 develop!   ;)
Sense is not common

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Timburr on June 30, 2008, 07:46:02 PM
SwampDonkey, hate to see you goin' this thread alone, so I've invited myself in!  :D

Unfortunately, I am forced to lurk on this thread because I have no clue about any of them.  :(

jon12345

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Timburr on June 30, 2008, 07:46:02 PM
Are you any closer to identifying #1, 2 and 10 yet?

No, I can't find any these in my books. I did send a link to this page about # 10 to a couple folks involved in ecology and botany. No replies yet.

Could #1 be Anaphalis margaritacea?   Or it could belong to genera solidago, gnaphalium, senecio (fluviatalis?) or even an inula?     It looks well stipule-ated with a distinct lack of a petiole.    Are the leaf margins entire or serrate and what's it's vein structure like?

#1 is pubescent above and below and on stem. You can se a rather large mid-rib. It looks like the plant grows at least 4 feet tall, maybe taller. Not solidago. The stem was at least 1 cm thick when the picture was snapped.

#10 looks like a possible candidate for the Rosaceae family.   An odd one.   I've never seen anything like it!

No clue here, have a link sent out to a couple folks as stated above.

Quote from: jon12345 on July 01, 2008, 02:31:55 PM
I think #2 is a baby joe pye weed

No, I had thought it could be at one time but there are some Joe-pie near by and the plant looks different. The picture was taken in wetland though. But, since then I have seen them in the back yard. I seem to recall some kind of blue flowered aster coming off them in years past. Will have to wait another month for the flowers I guess. The red tinged young leaves tell me they are something of color other than the common yellows and whites of a lot of wild flowers here.

SwampDonkey

Went out today with the camera for a few more pictures of plant # 10.

Dodgy Loner

It certainly looks Rosaceaey to me.  Flowers would be infinitely helpful, as always.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I was leaning more between Araliaceae and Apiaceae. Sure would like to see that flower.  ::)

Timburr

There is a need to retract my original supposition of Rosaceae.  I'm channelled more towards Apiaceae.

DanG it S.D. you posted whilst I was researching on your behalf.
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

It seems to grow like Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum' . We call it Snow on the mountain, but it's a different species.

SwampDonkey

Well the consensus so far on #10 is Goutweed/snow on the mountain (Aegopodium podagraria). An invasive weed. But, I concede with reservations because my plant does not have angular stems. It is a pretty good match otherwise. As another note the goutweed I have along the ditch is now in flower and the woods patch was not flowering. ;D

SwampDonkey

We have the ID's for # 1 and # 2 now as well.

1) Purple-stemmed Aster (Symphyotrichum puniceum (=Aster puniceus))  stem not always purple ::)
2) Rough Goldenrod (Solidago rugosa) Modified September 14, 2008
I have now positively ID'ed this as showy aster ( Aster spectabilis), flowers further down the thread.

Special thanks to Sean Blaney, a Botanist & Assistant Director
for the Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Centre

And honorable mention to Richard Fournier of U of Moncton, Edmundston campus.

SwampDonkey

Ok, here are some more images of goutweed/snow on the mountain from a ditch location. Although very similar, this ditch side plant has angular stems.

Possibly a hybrid?

Dodgy Loner

I'm not familiar with goutweed, but you can definitely see why it's in the carrot family when you see those flowers.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Yeah Dodgy, it's an old time cover plant for ditches when they never liked to mow too much, other than with hand scythes or the old cow. It kept other weeds from taking over. I can remember as a kid folks digging the dang stuff up and transporting it to their lawns and ditches.  ::)

I never would have guessed #1 and #2 though from those Audubon pictures, actually #1 isn't even in my books. #2 was so out of focus on the leaves in the book you'd only be guessing until it flowered.

slowzuki

That goutweed stuff is moving into my fields quite strongly.  I've also got something the locals call bedstraw, a low creeping weed growing in the fields.

SwampDonkey

Yes bedstraw in the fields are an ever growing menace. We never had that stuff up until a few years ago. Yes we had wild (sweet scented) bedstraw in the woods, but this field stuff is far worse it seems. Hard on new tree plantations, and it seems when some fields are sprayed it becomes released.

slowzuki

Apparently plowing isn't a fix either.  I'm wondered what I'll have to do to get rid of it.

slowzuki

I'll add another two things to the list:

-One, the last ten years a weed with a tall thick stalk (up to 6 ft) and almost corncob like top that grows yellow flowers has made a strong foothold here.  Never used to have them.  I've spotted in in northern ontario and in nw Washington state and everywhere in between.

-Two, milkweed, which we never had in this area is exploding in the last 3 years.  I mean it is growing everywhere and it is a bugger to get out of your fields.

-There is another one too but I need a picture first.

SwampDonkey

Does the first one have velvety basal (ground level) leaves? I think it is the common mullein. I usually only see those in gravel. One of the few weeds I like. I have been battling the burdock around here with the shovel. Wanna trade? :D

Yeah milkweed doesn't grow much here in our dryer farm fields, might see it in a ditch. Down around lower Woodstock and below Hartland on the east side of the river I see it growing on wet abandoned pasture land. Most all that old ground that was cleared near the river has that growing all through it. I was in one field down there where the weeds were so tall and thick a dog couldn't get through it, but the pheasants would run through that tanglement and hide.

SwampDonkey

Well now! I had to revisit this thread folks because there is no way in God's green earth that a leaf tinged in purple (fades to green with age) will produce a yellow flower as in goldenrod. We are talking about sample # 2 in the beginning post of this thread. So, here my friends is the proof with photographic evidence that this plant is indeed an aster. In fact, it is a showy aster Aster spectabilis and the place is in full bloom with them. We call it purple aster around here. Audubon does not show it ranging this far north. It has two types of leaves, where the basal ones are oblong and toothed and the ones on the top are oblong-linear and toothless. Also the flower stamens are of two colors, lavender (apex) and yellow (ray flowers). ;D Well I guess you can chalk up another species of the Upper Saint John River valley that adds to the species diversity of the area. We can't be right all the time.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!