iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT70 cold start

Started by woodmills1, December 29, 2009, 06:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

The cat 62 engine on the 70 fires right up in the cold when I follow the reccomened time for the glow plugs but as soon as I release the starter it dies.  I can get it to stay running If I start with the blade engaged but don't like doing that.  Is my idle speed too low?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ladylake

Can you run the throttle by hand when starting or prop it open a little, if so that should work.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

If you are anywhere near elect put a small block heater on/in the engine it will solve your problem and add life to the engine.If thats not possible set up the idle slightly or as stated hold it off idle position with a removable shim.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodmills1

thanks for the shim idea, thats was what I was leaning toward, but I am not much good in the diesel area.  I will try that today  23 degrees with wind.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

york

Hi all,

I have a 450 watt,magnetic block heater-gives better cold weather starts and adds life to your starter-got at CT,now tractor supply.....
Albert

Chris Burchfield

I have th 51 hp cat and use about an eight in shim to start her in under 32° F. After she runs about a minute, I remove the shim.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Dave Shepard

I had to fire up our 51 Perkapiller yesterday. I just manually hold the linkage forward. Don't have to play games with a Kubota diesel. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

If not done already a winter grade synthetic oil will help reduce the cold engine drag.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodmills1

Chris how big is the shim?

sdunston

I never let a cold engine idle at startup, The oil is thick and needs that little extra rpm to get it flowing, I am not saying to scream it but 1200 rpm is safe. Ask anyone with an old 4-671 detroit diesel and they will agree idleing is taboo.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

customsawyer

If you are looking at the side of the engine that has the throttle linkage on it, on the end closest to the radiator there is a 10mm hex bolt and lock nut. Release the lock nut turn the bolt about half a turn and tighten the lock nut this will fix it.

P.S. Do this while it is running and you can hear your idle pick up a little bit and that is all it takes. This is from Greg Brock the diesel guru from WM.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

It was 9° today at noon. I don't think any amount of adjusting or linkage tweaking would help.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gmmills

The shimming of the throttle linkage does work. The only drawback is the colder the temp the thicker the shim needed to keep the engine running. Got tired of playing that game.  Have electric in the mill building so I put a block heater on the motor. Installs right into the front soft plug. The temp was 15 above this morning. With the block heater it fired right up and stayed running.  The block heater was purchased from WM. Part number 038422 ,  $39.37.   
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Dave Shepard

I've got to hold the throttle at least half way to keep it running. There is usually a few start stall episodes. I think something needs to be changed, I run a lot of different diesels, and these are the hardest to start. The Cummins engines in the Lull and payloader both start unassisted down to at least 20F.

Chris Burchfield

I use about an eighth inch shim. I have the remote and don't stretch from the key to the throttle. The reason I have to use it is, on a cold start, the engine will start fine but then die like it is starved for fuel. The rpm with the shim overcomes start then die. I don't know if it is the fuel line pressure or not. This subject has come up before.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

woodmills1

so I shimmed it today, around 15 degrees out, fires right up runs for a second and dies.  try it again and was able to run from remote to engine and keep it running, but something isn't right.  check fuel tank and the level is right at the bottem of the screen........ :o :o  fill tank put, squeeze bulb, put in shim, all is well.  DanG hard to get production on a day like today. >:( :D :D

stonebroke

fuel always helps.

Stonebroke

Magic Smoke

As a side note regarding engine idle:
Make sure you run the engine idle at what Wood-Mizer recommends, otherwise, your alternator won't produce it's max current when you need it the most...at idle when using the hydraulics.

Thank You Sponsors!