iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

could my wood boiler be hooked to the oil boiler backwards

Started by stumper, February 01, 2019, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

I replaced my Eclassic 2300 with a new edge 750.  However, I ma having issues with the oil boiler kicking on.  The run is the same, I replaced my circulator pump thinking it was weak.  I upped the temp in the wood boiler, but the oil boiler still kicks on frequently.  Before it only kicked on if the was a big issue with the wood boiler and the water temperature at the wood boiler was low, Now even with the wood boiler temp at 195 the oil boiler will kick on.  Is it possible we hooked the new boiler up backwards.  If I did would this cause the issues I am having?

gspren

How are they connected? Mine has a plate type heat exchanger so that the water from one to the other does not mix. If the heat exchanger gets plugged you might not get the proper heat transfer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

stumper

doctorb

Do you have temp gauges on the inflow and outflow at the OWB as well as at the furnace?

Isn't the oil furnace a pressurized system and the OWB a non-pressurized system?  I didn't know they could be directly plumbed. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stumper

Many oil boiler systems can the "de-pressurized" as long as your circulator pumps are pushing water through the base board.  There is no heat transfer lose.  It does take more chemicals but not a lot, and the cost of the extra chemicals is way less then the cost of a heat exchanger.

In reality my system is still somewhat pressurized as there is 12 to 15 feet of head at the oil boiler, because the wood boiler is that much higher then my oil boiler.

My oil boiler was set up with two extra ports, one at the bottom and one at the top.  So I have a circulator at the wood boiler that continuously pumps water through the oil boiler. 

When the we hooked up the new boiler we had to extend the pex to the new location of the pump compartment at the wood boiler (side instead of back).  While we marked the lines I am just wondering if somehow they got reversed.

E Yoder

HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

stumper

I can try to take pictures and upload them later, but it is intended to be plumbed as shown in the installation guide for direct plumbed boilers.  Hot in the top of the oil boiler cold out the boiler.  The question is if the lines got reversed and I was adding hot at the bottom and pulling return out the top would that cause the issue I am experiencing.

stumper

First picture is of the oil boiler.  lines on the right are from the wood boiler.  Second is at the wood boiler.

boilerman101

Your pics look good at the Edge. I can't see the pump direction arrow, but I'm guessing you do have it pointed down. I too would think that if you did have lines crossed going into your oil boiler and feeding into the bottom it would lead to colder water running through your home. I take it that you do not have thermopex with the one line having the black line running the entire length to confirm which is which?

stumper

My thermopex does have the black line.  However, to get from the original location the pex comes through the wood boiler concrete slab to where the 750 needed the line there were elbows and pex extensions put on.  While they were marked, I am concerned they got swapped.  As they thermopex is under the boiler there is no way for me to check.  

boilerman101

Ok. Then maybe shut off the return line valve at your Edge and disconnect what you believe to be your "hot supply" line at your indoor boiler over a 5 gallon bucket and see if you have water flow from your pump. If not, it would confirm it is backwards and needs to be switched. Having a helper at the OWF with a cell phone to talk back and forth on would be helpful for turning pumps and valves off and on.

wiam

Supply line should be hotter than return. Could be checked with a noncontact thermometer. 

E Yoder

Pump motor should be horizontal, not vertical. But I doubt that's causing your issues.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

stumper

pump motor is horizontal, picture is rotated 90 degrees.

E Yoder

HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

talldog

Stumper, Other than this issue,how do you like the new boiler so far?

Thank You Sponsors!