iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

troublesome Detroit oil leak

Started by madmari, February 11, 2012, 09:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I have a TJ with a 3-53 that has recently been visited by the Gremlins.
This motor bucked all odds and never leaked oil, anywhere. I kept it clean.

One day a couple months ago, I pulled a hitch and discovered oil all over the engine covers. The fan had spread the oil all over, so it was almost impossible to find out where it came from. Checked everywhere, no sign of trouble. Did note that the skidder was parked on a steep slope forward on the last hitch.
  No real problem until the otherday, same thing. Oil level was down a little bit, but nothing serious. Noted that the front main had a suspicious lot of oil around it, but hard to say as the fan slings oil all over.

Any ideas?????? 
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

tyb525

Isn't that normal for a detroit ;D

Sorry, I don't really know. If the skidder was parker facing downhill, maybe the oil found a leak that it normally doesn't get to?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

madmari

They do seem to leak, or any I have seen. This one was really dry though, runs good. Maybe the main crank seal? Nice to have it clean, but I can't wash it where it is- could maybe tell more if clean.

Holmes

I do not know what is where on a skidder but I tried to fix a sporadic oil leak on my skid steer. I thought one of the concealed hoses had  sprung a leak so I changed all the hoses inside that arm, turned out to be the hydraulic piston itself but only under severe strain.
Think like a farmer.

arojay

Front oil pan seal leaking out on to the pulley/balancer when leaning forward and slinging all over under rpm?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

madmari

That sounds like a likely source. Unless it is tipped forward, I don't see any problem-

lumberjack48

Check oil pan bolts, oil cooler gasket, its most likely the front crank seal.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

swampbuggy

Are you sure it's engine oil? I like Holmes idea that it might be hydraulic oil.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

madmari

OntarioAl

Madmari
I had a similar front end oil leak except it was the seal on the cam shaft, had to remove the rad to be able to take off the balancer to get at the seal. The suction (winter fan) blew the oil all over what a mess.
Since yours leaks only after being parked down hill I will vote with the others and say crank shaft seal.
Hope this helps
Al Raman

timbuck2

madmari

Aren't they all uphill?

My fan pushes, so oil has covered the radiator as well; the hood gets splattered and then the oil drips onto the top of the motor and the cycle repeats 8) Nice mess- a pint looks like 5 gallons.

lumberjack48

If it is the crank seal it isn't to bad to replace, pull the radiator, then the damper wheel, [replace it] put back together.

To wash motor, i put #1 fuel in my fuel tank in the pickup, then sprayed her down.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

DDDfarmer

I think I would worry if a detroit didnt leak.. :D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

MaineLogger

A leak around the oil cooler is known to make the same kind of mess.Pretty common.Just throwing it out there,good luck.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

sandhills

I'm still in awe that there is/was a detroit that didn't leak!  :D DDDfarmer I agree, when they quit leaking you should have been adding oil sooner  ;).  I would start with the pan bolts then work my way up, nothing ever seems to be that simple though  :-\.  Good luck, hope it is that easy!

John Woodworth

Before you start pulling things apart check the air box drain, generaly located bebind the starter and your crank case vent to make sure they arn't plugged up and causing too much back pressure.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Migal

I vote front main seal not seeing but it is a two stroke and compresses on down stroke (parked down hill says oil is not compressible and it had to go somewhere when cranked blew seal. now make sure that's the seal it blew!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

madmari

Been using it on the landing for a week- hasn't leaked a drop. Soon as it's warm enough I will pressure wash the ole girl and find out for sure.

Got 250 tons pf tree length pine to chip on the landing. Chippers are on quota- great! The job contract expires end of Feb, gotta be cleaned up. I'll never chip wood again.

Migal

I just reread what I wrote meant to say front seal on crankshaft by harmonic balancer my bad. :-[
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

marinsisovic

hallloo  I'm  brand new here with a lot of questions. lets begin with ,wich oil can i put in detroit 4 53.I recently bought a TJ 240 with serious problems and I'd like to fix it. Im from central europe and dont know who to ask about two stroke diesel engine and all about it.thanks and sorry for my bad english

jd540b

I run straight 40 weight.  Was told that's the only way to go by a very respected detroit mechanic.......have had no trouble with it cranking in the cold-down to -10 F.

grassfed

Yes use strait 40  wt and it is supposed to have "CF-2" on the label if it is approved  for use in 2 stroke Detroit Diesels.
Mike

Migal

Put rotellia in her and keep above low but not full!

Thank You Sponsors!