iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know about Donkeys?

Started by Radar67, January 09, 2012, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I have been researching them a bit and get some varied answers to questions. The main one being, how much space does a miniature donkey require? I've read anywhere from 1/2 to 1 acre or more.

My wife was given a miniature this past Saturday. He is as gentle as a lamb, but is causing me a whole bunch of extra work. Fence, shelter, feed, etc. She named him Eeyore. I will get some pictures when the rain dies down some.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Patty

While I have never had a miniature donkey, I did buy a cute little jenny for my horse to pal around with. They are very smart little creatures, and they do respect electric fence if that is the route you want to take. I would imagine for a miniature that an acre would be plenty of pasture to keep her on. Folks up here put them in with the sheep to keep the coyotes away. Our donk not only kept away the coyotes, but also the dog and the cat and anything else that ventured into her pasture.

Can't wait to see pictures!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

So, now you are a two jackass family  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

Yes Lynn, we are. At least that is what I was told by several different people... :D :D

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

scsmith42

Quote from: Radar67 on January 09, 2012, 01:13:30 PM
I have been researching them a bit and get some varied answers to questions. The main one being, how much space does a miniature donkey require? I've read anywhere from 1/2 to 1 acre or more.

My wife was given a miniature this past Saturday. He is as gentle as a lamb, but is causing me a whole bunch of extra work. Fence, shelter, feed, etc. She named him Eeyore. I will get some pictures when the rain dies down some.

Based upon the ones that we've had, it's best if you can allocate an acre or so, and then cross fence it into 3 or 4 different paddocks with electric fencing (stay away from barbed wire).  Rotate him through a different paddock every week, allowing them time to recover.  Othewise he will ovegraze part of the pasture, ignore the rest, and you'll get weeds in the overgrazed portion.

Most likely you will need to muzzle him for part of the day every day, especially in the spring (mini's tend to overgraze and can founder as a result).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

Founder, as in the hoof problem? Where can you get a muzzle, and how would you size one? What is the concern with barbed wire? I am new to equines, so I may ask some strange questions.

Norm

I found on our donkey that when spooked she'd go right through the fence. Since we had electric fence up no big deal just put her back and repair the fence. If you have barbed wire you'll be looking at a vet bill.

I guess miniatures must be different because I never had a problem with foundering. All she'd do is get fat.  :D

Al_Smith

Surprisingly to people who have never been around them a donkey is pretty smart .A mule which is half donkey is pretty smart .A horse that people seem to love is stupid .

A mule or donkey is smart enough not to flounder itself like a horse will by raiding a corn field .A horse will pull it's guts out .A mule will give it a tug and if it can't move the load will just stop .

A saddle horse wants to trot which will beat the tar out of the rider .A mule has a different gait and is much more comfortable to ride .A mule or donkey for that matter has better footing that a horse . Never judge an equinine by the length of their ears . :D

WDH

Terry,

Maybe it will get out and become permanently lost  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: Radar67 on January 09, 2012, 03:00:54 PM
Founder, as in the hoof problem? Where can you get a muzzle, and how would you size one? What is the concern with barbed wire? I am new to equines, so I may ask some strange questions.

Yes, as in the hoof problem.  You have to be the most concerned in the spring time when the grass is really growing fast and has lots of nitrogen in it.

I'll check with my wife re the muzzle sources (and sizing).

Re the barbed wire, in general this is not a good idea for equine areas.  If they spook, they will run right through the wire and get tangled up in it.  Expect a large vet bill afterward.

Much better to either build a board fence or use an electric tape.  The best equine electric fence product that I've found - by far - is Horseguard Fence Prodeucts (do a google search on Horseguard fence).

Radar67

Thanks for the info guys, and gals. I will look into the fencing you suggest. For the time being, I may have to use barbed wire. Over the last couple of days, he seems very calm. He will eyeball the cats and chickens closely, but continue to stand there with his ears raised. He only seems a little skiddish when you first approach him in the dusky dark. I have found if I speak to him from a distance in those times, he is calmer. I have not introduced him to the dog yet, and likely will be extremely slow about doing this. Sawyer, the German shepherd, likes to show off as aggressive until he can get a good smell of the outside creatures, yet the cat in the house will swat his nose and he just whimpers.

Danny, I'm afraid if that occurred, I would have to be "lost" as well, until I could find him. ;)

Norm

Be real careful with the dog. Ours looked about as tame as you can get but the dog wandered into her paddock one day and the donkey went after her with the intention of killing her. She got in a couple of real good licks with her front hooves before the bewildered dog made it under the hot wire. Patty and I were in the paddock but couldn't react fast enough even though I'm not sure we could have made a difference even if we could have. The dog and donk were well acquainted up to that point but it was the first time she'd gone in their paddock.

sandhills

My wife and dad each have a miniature horse, they are real characters, and yes you will probably be lost a time or two trying to find your ash, oops, I mean donkey  ;D.  The little old ladies at the assisted living here just love my wifes little "Tipper", even while he's eating the flowers off their porches  :D.  Don't ask what my step children think of him though, they've had to get him back too many times and he is clever (and very evasive), she even taught him to sit and shake, he's kept in very good fencing on the outskirts of town but like I said, he's clever and every once in awhile he goes and makes his rounds about town.  ;)

scsmith42

Radar, I received a 10% discount coupon from Horseguard in my e-mail earlier today; if you'll send me a PM with your e-mail address I'll be glad to forward it on.

I double checked with Laureen this morning about the founder - she was adamant about the importance of using a muzzle at certain times of the year.  I'll see if I can get her to log in later today and share some advice.

Scott

Jeff

I think were in need of a picture of the critter. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chevytaHOE5674

We have a miniature sicilian ass here on the farm to act as a guard animal. He is free to roam larger pastures (20+ acres with the cows and horses, but could probably survive in a large backyard if need be. We feed him the worst quality hay we have (basically baled up weeds), try to keep him in the woods pasture during the spring and early summer (so he eats twigs and brush), and he is still overweight.

Donkeys make good gaurd animals against coyotes and wolves therefor they aren't good around dogs. Our neighbors dog got loose and started chasing the cows and the mini donkey kicked that dog hard and kept kicking until we came to its rescue, and by then it was too late for the poor dog. So if you or a neighbor have a dog around keep them away...

Radar67

I will have to get a picture of him. It has been raining or dark every time I get a chance to go out with him, so it has been a challenge.

I knew donkeys did not like canines and made good guard animals, so I am leary of letting the dog around him. Good thing about my dog, he is never outside off lead, unless I am throwing the ball for him, usually in a completely different location. The ball is his only concern during those times. :)

Which ass do you want a picture of Jeff? My wife has two of them now, at least that is what she tells everyone.  ;)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Don't forget them suckers can and will BITE  :o
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Radar67

Okay Jeff, here are the pictures you requested.

Let me introduce Eeyore. (wife's donkey, so she named him)

He does not like the halter. It is not sized properly and he keeps pulling it off his nose. Since he is so close to the house, he gets babied every hour or so and the youngest can see him from her bedroom window. I will visit with him again the final time tonight around midnight.

And here is Sawyer at the other end of the house.

WDH

Those two will have to come to terms  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

:D They will come to terms in time .When I was a teenager my father had a thing for Shetland ponys .His stud named Skippy was an Arabian Shetland strong as a mule and wild as a marsh hare .

That pony would beat the tar out of my big  German short hair pointer but one day they just came to terms for whatever reason .The dog weighed about 85 pounds and the pony about 350 -400 .

Magicman

I wonder if that is the same species that kept visiting me while I was sawing the past Summer?

I guess that these are the full sized donkeys, but they are marked the same.

chevytaHOE5674

Magic those are the fullsize Sicilian asses. You can tell a Sicilian by the cross (dark stripe down the spine and across the front shoulders).

Radar's and mine are of the miniature variety.

Thank You Sponsors!