iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skillet Pizza

Started by Planman1954, August 23, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

That would make sense.

I've screwed up and left mine on a burner for a couple hours. Started to heat the pan on a high burner, got called away, and come back to say oh CRUD! What did I do? Nothing. Just let her cools back down. No harm.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandsawmill14

yep that makes sense to me to :)
i should also say i dont have to burn off our skillets but once every year or 2 but when i do i do them all at once some need it and some dont but all 5 get then im done for another year or 2 ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandsawmill14

you are making me hungry musteat_1 digin_2 digin_2 digin1 :D :D :D

4x4American

I just seared a nice fat juicy angus steak in my skillet...eating it now with the forum..yum!  That pizza looks awesome I am most definitely going to give that a try! 
Boy, back in my day..

Planman1954

Wow! I forgot about this thread until I saw a recent post. I make a skillet pizza about every two weeks or so. The crust is fantastic....just like the picture Jeff posted. Gary
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

drobertson

You bet Jeff has it going,, I preheat too, this is not pizza but have that planned for later in the week, ham and bean this evening,  with corn bread in a skillet,

top and bottom,  I like it a little more golden on top, but it was done, and flopping out easy, so why wait,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

MMM cornbread, I love cornbread, but haven't had it in a long DanG time!  Gonna have to add that to my bucket list  smiley_divide
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

bucket list ??? ??? just make you some  :) we have it 3-4 times  week normally but it has been a little different here he last couple weeks  ::) cornbread is good stuff ;D

MikeAM

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2016, 06:32:46 PM

Looks like a good pie there I'm gonna have to try me a skillet pizza this weekend. Making a batch of the dough this afternoon. I usually make enough for 5 or 6 loaves at a time and keep it covered in the fridge until I have time to bake a loaf of bead or a pizza.

4x4American

:D  just funning around...never take what I say too seriously, because 10 times out of 9 I'm funning around
Boy, back in my day..

pappy19

If you really want a dynomite crust, preheat your skillet and drop in 2 tablespoons of butter, then add your dough flatten and cook as usual. Your crust will be nice and crusty and have a super buttery taste.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Jeff

I actually use a spray butter to lubricate the skillet before forming the dough.

21incher

After looking at these pictures, I am going to invest in some good cast iron. I bought one of those low cost China made cast iron frying pans at TSC several years ago and it was extremely rough with big pores that everything I tried to cook got stuck and burned in. No mater how many times we seasoned it, it never was right.  What is a good brand to buy? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandsawmill14

i have had good luck with lodge but i like the old one you find at flea markets the best :)

4x4American

x2 i have two lodge and I like them but the older ones are the best.  Ar you heating up the cast enough before you put anything in it? 
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

if its bread in the oven ALWAYS preheat  if frying on the stove top sometimes i do sometimes i dont  :)

21incher

Quote from: 4x4American on February 27, 2016, 09:12:37 AM
x2 i have two lodge and I like them but the older ones are the best.  Ar you heating up the cast enough before you put anything in it? 
I think we did. There must be a reason a bunch of them were on the clearance rack. It is extremely poor quality with the bottom of the pan varying from 3/16' to 3/8" thick with mountains and valleys in it and big open pores in the casting. They must have used crushed stone in the sand when casting. I will look for a Lodge to try. I want to be able to make one of these pizzas. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

4x4American

Yea the Lodge skillets are not a bad price either.  I just put the skillet in the oven with corn bread batter in it.  Another bucket list item about to be completed  8) 8) :D
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

I've had a lodge now for several years, maybe 6? they are more grainy, if that's the right word,, not happy for some time with baked goods, I kept on seasoning as directed, coat with shortening and back upside down at 350° for an hour or more, I do a quick clean little soap and warm water,, I do not boil off,  I know a few that have and do, if not careful you can undo the seasoning on newer skillets I think, my son in law just hated his lodge, this past Christmas I asked to season it for him and we baked in it the next day, flopping out good,, I think the cleaning technique is one of the most critical on newer skillets, the old ones are just "burnt in"  slicked off, the lodge if treated right will be there years down the road, just remember them old ones are old,, and them women new how to cook with em'! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

lol

I haven't had too much trouble with my lodge.  My cousin who's a chef taught me how to take care of it.  Typically I just scrape out the bark and wipe it with a paper towel (bounty is the best cause it don't leave much paper towel residue behind) and if it's really dirty I pour olive oil and salt in it for grit and scrub it lightly with a brush.  Sometimes I use water but never soap because of the degreaser in dish soap.  Plus whenever I cook anything I always warm it up til I see steam coming off or til the first part of the handle gets warm.  Then put down oil or butter followed by what I'm cooking.  On that corn bread I did last night I preheated the cast, greased it with butter, then sprinkled some cornmeal, and it peeled right out when it was done, worked great.  I'm not saying it's right but that's what works for a goofy Yankee like myself lol
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

Quote from: drobertson on February 27, 2016, 09:34:16 PM
I've had a lodge now for several years, maybe 6? they are more grainy, if that's the right word,, not happy for some time with baked goods, I kept on seasoning as directed, coat with shortening and back upside down at 350° for an hour or more, I do a quick clean little soap and warm water,, I do not boil off,  I know a few that have and do, if not careful you can undo the seasoning on newer skillets I think, my son in law just hated his lodge, this past Christmas I asked to season it for him and we baked in it the next day, flopping out good,, I think the cleaning technique is one of the most critical on newer skillets, the old ones are just "burnt in"  slicked off, the lodge if treated right will be there years down the road, just remember them old ones are old,, and them women new how to cook with em'!

i had one that was hard to get seasoned it was fine for meats but bread would stick in the center. next time you try to season it try plain lard or bacon grease  dont heat the grease or skillet before rubbing it on then stick in the oven right side up and bake at 400-450 degrees until it dry and shines. it may take 2-3 hrs to season it right but i have never timed it i just go by how it looks but if you can rub it with your finger and anything comes off it wasnt done.  it will smoke some but not to bad i never season upside down and i have better luck with lard or grease than with the veg oil they recommend  :)

4x4American

I wonder if it'd help to wire wheel it?
Boy, back in my day..

gspren

Back to the cracking part, years ago while tent camping in cold weather we set a cold (lower 20F) skillet on a coleman stove with the burner high and it cracked like a gun going off. Big cold skillet with a small diameter flame set too high and the center expanded faster than the sides. Cooking bacon and eggs with a cracked skillet is a mess.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!