iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

German Pancake

Started by pappy19, March 31, 2016, 06:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Here's a family favorite that you should try. Fast, easy and very yummy.

Pap

German Pancake

¼ cup salted butter
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400, melt butter in a No. 9 Griswold skillet or similar in the hot oven. Mix all other ingredients well and pour into hot skillet with melted butter. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove, sprinkle fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar, cut into fourths and serve.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

Pancake flour?  Gotta be something there to make it rise?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pappy19

Nope, just all purpose flour, it already has baking powder in it. It gets real puffy but uneven.

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

sawguy21

I'll have to try that. I am of German descent on both sides, was adopted into a family of British origin so am not familiar with my ancestors dishes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Different areas (elevation) have different formulation.  Here "all purpose" has  nothing in it, and "self rising" has the baking powder, etc.  I suspected something knowing that you were in Idaho.  :P  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pappy19

Some people call it Dutch Baby pancakes as well. Anyway, I'm getting a lot of requests for this from the grandkids.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

13 years ago I posted a German pancake pancake recipe. Interesting to dig it and it's memories up after all these years...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2121.msg26777.html#msg26777
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

pappy19

The big difference in my recipe is that the pancake comes out very irregular and puffy, not a flat pancake and doesn't look like a crepe.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

pappy19

My wife informed me that my deduction on the baking powder was wrong; never been wrong before but now have to confess. She said the All-Purpose flour does not have baking powder infused in it and that's the reason you DON'T put any baking powder in this recipe and do not use self-rising flour. The baking powder makes it come out like a cake. By not using any baking powder or soda, the pancake is very irregular and puffy. So now we know.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

OffGrid973

Ok team, this one is right in my wheelhouse.  Coming from the Black Forest of Germany, this has been the holiday breakfast for years. German pancakes are almost like a crepe and very thin, the key is the sugar and cinnamon on top which drive the kids (and adults) crazy.

I will take a pic of the family recipe with details when I get home.

Have you guys ever used a spaetzle maker, usually I stick with cutting board and knife cause I like them thick, but for parties and mass production these hand driven ones are well worth the investment.

http://m.target.com/p/norpro-spaetzle-maker/-/A-10965968?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Kitchen%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Kitchen&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=21164&gclid=CMPH2uf9_MsCFZE0aQodHvgG2Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

Quote from: pappy19 on April 07, 2016, 12:40:03 PM
My wife informed me that my deduction on the baking powder was wrong; never been wrong before but now have to confess. She said the All-Purpose flour does not have baking powder infused in it and that's the reason you DON'T put any baking powder in this recipe and do not use self-rising flour. The baking powder makes it come out like a cake. By not using any baking powder or soda, the pancake is very irregular and puffy. So now we know. 
Thanks for the clarification (at least for me anyway).  The ladies know cooking and stuff.  :P We know eating and stuff.  digin_2

Thank You Sponsors!