iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fuel

Started by coxy, November 25, 2016, 05:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

the only difference between off road and on road fuel is the dye they put in it to color it.

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on November 27, 2016, 04:03:42 PM
the only difference between off road and on road fuel is the dye they put in it to color it.
100% right and little tax not like road fuel

coxy

Quote from: starmac on November 27, 2016, 03:55:32 PM

Some products such as howes does nothing as far as disperseing water, yet their guarantee claims if used and you still gell up, they will pay the tow bill.

wonder what the tow bill would be to tow a skidder out of the woods  :D years ago there was some stuff called heat that really worked if there was snow/frost on a tank and you put  that heat stuff in there in about 5min the tank was melted off and the fuel was warm  I cant find it anymore  there was guy that had a bunch of it but sold it last year for 15 bucks a quart

starmac

I have over a case of heat here in my shop, but haven't used any for years. I didn't realise you couldn't get it any more. I think the stuff I have is for gas though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

OH logger

Quote from: starmac on November 27, 2016, 05:47:28 PM
I have over a case of heat here in my shop, but haven't used any for years. I didn't realise you couldn't get it any more. I think the stuff I have is for gas though.

if its the red bottle like I have it says its for gas and deisels
john

Gearbox

My 9600 Ford returns zero fuel even to the filters and every couple of years I gell it up . I wrap it up in a tarp put a magnet heater on the fuel tank plus a tank heater plug in to generator with a propane heater  . Drink coffee add 12 gallons #1 drink more coffee then a bump of starting fluid and away we go or not . More coffee .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Gary_C

Heat is methanol and is still sold in both the yellow bottle for gas engines and red bottle for diesel engines.  I think the red bottle is similar to the 911 product.

The reason most people have trouble the first time it gets cold every winter is because they have not drained their tanks and filters of the condensation that accumulates during the year. It's also a good idea to change all fuel filters BEFORE it gets cold every winter.

Most engine manufacturers do not approve of the diesel additives because they are mainly a solvent like gasoline and they do reduce lubricity of the fuel. I never use the additives and every time I've had a problem it was caused by water condensation in the tanks and not necessarily gelling of the fuel. If you leave water in the filters and separators it will create a sludge that will plug the filters.

Here in Minnesota the fuel suppliers will sell you a winterized fuel (not blended) that will be good down to about 0 F. If it is below that temp you should blend with some #1 fuel. Most trucking companies will not pay for any purchase of #1 fuel on the road because it affects mileage so much. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

coxy

the heat I was talking about was for diesel only came in a red quart like 911

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on November 27, 2016, 04:03:42 PM

I know. I think my issues was the quality of fuel not the dye. All I'm saying is, I have excellent luck with Irving highway fuel and I get better mpg.

I put this on my truck. Works good if you can only run questionable winter fuels.
https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/fuelfilterheater.php
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

barbender

The boss has us run straight #1 all winter in the woods equipment. He doesn't like to see his $500,000 machines sitting for a day because it got gelled up. In fact, a lot of stations up here only have one off road pump, and they only have #1 when it's cold. Our trucks run #2 mixed with varying amounts of #1 depending on the temperature.
Too many irons in the fire

starmac

I went and checked, the red heet bottles that I have claims it is for all diesel and gas too.
It claims to remove water, prevent ice in the lines, clean injectors, bit does not mention anything about gelling.

The newer blend of Howes for use with ulsd does claim to remove water as well as guaranteed no gelling. I may be wrong, but I thought the old howes did not claim to remove water. When I use anything, this is what I use and have for 15 years with no bad effects, and have never had any gelling problems, knock on wood.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Corley5

I use Sea Foam in all my diesels year round.  Works for me but if it's less than 15 degrees I stay inside. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I've started my machine on several -35°F mornings, I think it was -38° the one morning. My boss does not like his machines to sit. Another reason for the straight #1 fuel.

1270d

That's the coldest I have cut so far with the scorpion.  -38.   She didnt want to start.  Not a fuel issue, it just couldn't crank to the required 300 rpms.  Even with synthetic motor and hydraulic oil and the preheater.   Probably took an hour or more to get it going.
That was with 30℅ #1 blend.

tj240

When in doubt use power service, then cut with kero.  200 gal of fuel, use power service and 20 to 30 gal kero, it wont gel, and wont hurt anything.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

barbender

Starting issues have been common with the Scorpions.

1270d

Quote from: barbender on December 04, 2016, 08:56:13 PM
Starting issues have been common with the Scorpions.

We put in a bigger starter motor and switched to the Hydrex hydraulic oil which is a little bit lighter.  Then of course no cold weather so I don't know how it will be.   Are you guys running any of the new style ergo's yet?   They are supposed to have the same splitter and pump setup as the scorpions, have you heard if they are hard starting?

barbender

We just got a new Ergo 8w last spring, so we haven't got to try it in the cold yet either. The starting issues have been a real problem with the Scorpions, I hope Ponsse has gotten that all straightened around. I heard it blamed on the hydraulic oil as well, trying to run an all season oil because of the extended drain interval.

lumberjack48

We had a 500 gal. tank mounted on a dray so we could pull it around on the job. The tank came off a Model T delivery truck. I put it in the back of my 70 4x4 1/2 ton chevy once in a while. I always mixed it 50/50 with no issues down to -45. In these kind of temps i wanted to have all equipment running before day light. When it starts to get day light the temp drops 10 or more degrees. I remember one time it was about -40, i got the C5-D started. But i could not get off the landing, it would go in circles. It took about a half hour of popping the clutch and pivoting back and forth it to get the differentials to start locking up. At the end of the day i drained a little #90 or 140 out of the differentials and added about a cup full of #1 fuel to both of them. They worked as they should after that.   
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!