iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling frozen logs????

Started by markkelly, February 24, 2013, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

What is the trick to milling frozen logs? Blades?? Cutting wet or dry??? Additives???  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks much,
Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

mikeb1079

well i'm not an expert, but from my experience combined with my ff reading this is what i've observed:

feed speed adustment depending on how thoroughly frozen the log is.  ie if the log is only partially frozen it seems to be worse than if it's wholly froze.

changing to a different blade.  i've had luck with the woodmizer 4 degrees.  this is for partially frozen hardwoods.  not sure on softwoods.

i'm still using lube when it's below freezing i've been using the -32 windshield washing fluid.

what mill and blades are you running now?  what are ya cutting?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

GDinMaine

I was sawing frozen white pine that was cut a couple of months ago.  As long as the temp didn't dip too far below 10F I could use 7s blades.  When the temperature at night was in the -10-0F range and rose to around 10 during the day, I made the WORST lumber with said blades and quit sawing.  The logs with really high moisture content were the worst.  After contacting another local sawyer he said try 9s and turn off the lube.  Of course he was right.  I cut those frozen logs into neat straight boards. In my very limited experience, what works one day may not work the next due to some condition changing or just a few logs with different moisture content. 

ps: I will be very interested in other answers to this thread.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

WH_Conley

Frozen completely, no lube, when sap starts building up that means the blade is getting a little dull and generating heat. Change blades, usually just need one light pass to sharpen.

Partially frozen, unless really in a bind, go to the house. Otherwise try everything any mentions and still pull your hair out.
Bill

thecfarm

I cut hemlock one winter and did not have any problems at all, cut the tree down,sawed it,build with it. All in the same day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JustinW_NZ

I was using 10deg bands on frozen stuff, and yes - found the partial frozen stuff the worst as things be moving along and then bind and bog down - interestingly seemed to cut straight but I was very careful at adjusting speed to stop it bogging down and "burning".  :snowball:

And I ran no lube at all (Half the time it was all frozen anyway)

I'm running a lombardini diesel and think I used all the power I had a few times so I think that helped.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

WH_Conley

Hemlock, soft as butter with knots as hard as glass. I would rather cut Hickory any day.

thecfarm. Was it cold enough that the tree was frozen? All the Hemlock I have ever sawed was in warmer weather. Might put an interesting spin on things. Maybe the difference in wood and knots would not be as pronounced?
Bill

drobertson

the only frozen wood I have sawed has been SYP, and red and white oaks, they seemed to saw fine, although the year I was sawing the pine, some of them were in the 20+" size, the dust would freeze on the log, and the more resiney? ones were a bear on the butt ends, some would hump up in the center, while others would dip in the center, (of the face, not in the length of the log) at the last foot or so of the butt end, I figured it was dependant on the slope of the grain, a sharp blade was critical. the oaks, not sure if they were completely froze, but sawed bout as usual,  I always use -20 washer fluid 50/50 with water and pine-sol. in the winter months, works for me.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!