iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first time doing live edge

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 26, 2018, 04:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Pretty nice technique. I don't think I have ever seen that done but glad it worked for you. If you use the sawmill you could pad the clamps. Mine are live edge and not much to worry about damaging. Besides I do the final sanding and tung oil application after the legs have been cut to height. On my 2" thick benches the leg extends through the bench and I cut the excess off there on top with a Japanese pull saw then use the mill for the bottoms. Again, your finish work is far superior to what I do.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Thanks again.  I have a wood jig I use to secure logs upright to cut cookies and have thought about trying it.  i worried if the legs got to vibrating, it might all fly off the mill.  I don't like to start over.  Sound like you do it about like I do.  I use tongue oil on walnut al the time and sometimes the watco finishing wax.  I use a lot of spray spar poly.  Helmsman comes in gallons and spray cans.  rough stuff i start with brushing to fill then a final few coats with a spray gun after sanding,  for the little stuff I use the rattle cans.  this is walnut with a coat of Watco danish oil mad for my wife for Christmas

Sorry if I am overdoing the pics, finally figured out how to get them in the gallery from my phone :P
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

That is a cookie love seat ;). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Nice stuff doc.
I hope to have mine done by week's end and will post pics.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ljohnsaw

Doc, what is that walnut thing with the 5 big and 4 small holes you made for your wife?  I can't figure it out.  But the wood sure is pretty!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

Thanks Gents!  That is a tea light holder and a place to put nick nacky decorations like pine cones and small bulbs or marbles depending on the season.  Put a runner under it and wah la, your wife is happy.  The pic is sideways on our table.  Just to the Right is a more rustic one just for tea lights out of old barn siding.  My wife made runners out of old gunny sacks for her sister and sister-in-law.  The one in the middle is on rags since it was just finished with watco danish oil.  She had stuff in it with a red Christmas runner for Chrstmas, but I did not have that pic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

Well here we are 6 weeks later and finally finished.
bottom 2 coats of Man O War spar varnish, top and ends 4 coats 220 in between.
Tammie and Kevins Rite Leg underpinning attached with 1/4" x 2" const. screws.

The bark off one was very hard to do as the bark was really tight and thick.
I used the claw hammer method followed by wire brush.
The bark on one is partially removed with my wire cup brush and i stopped when this pattern emerged, but it is hard to see because of the glare.
They are 2-1/2 thick and HEAVY.
I'm hoping to get more efficient if I do more of these.
The bark off one had a slight rocker to it so had to shim the legs.
If I am so foolish as to make this an ongoing winter project I will try the router method of flattening.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

pete, that looks great.  I think even if you do it the same way you will get faster and more efficient.  partly cause you can't really screw up rustic.  I know some mentioned to put the edge bark up, but I usually put mine down to give a wider top surface, but i round over the sharp edge with a 1/2 " round over.  many of mine as you can see also have 5 flats with a 1/2 round bottom with or without bark.  depends on if the bark is tight and the look you are going for. If the bark is or becomes loose, I have glued it back with titebond 1 or 3, and pinned with 23 g pins. if I put it up, I would remove the bark so it does not scratch legs.  people in shorts and or kids.

What up Benches?

doc henderson

WV Sawmiller

Looking back at the start of this thread (I can't go back far enough to insert the quote here) from Bruno and LJohnsaw I saw comments about putting the wide side down so you have a round surface to rest your thighs on. I usually try to do that, especially on ash so the EAB tracks show, but actually I just select the best surface to display and sometimes that has the wide side up. I think I saw somewhere that someone did not like the sharp edge up but seems to me it does not make mush difference as the sharp edge is rolled under and does not cut into your leg anyway IME. I guess we just have to be flexible.

Nice bench there Pete. I am really impressed with the quality of the finish work. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 27, 2018, 06:06:00 PM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 26, 2018, 07:07:31 PMI put the wide part of the slab down for a bench.

+1 on that.  When you sit on something, you want a curved edge for your thighs to rest on, not a sharp edge. 
Howard, I am curious about your "(I can't go back far enough to insert the quote here)" comment?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

When I start to reply to a thread it opens a new "page" for me type on and I can scroll to the bottom of and click on the "Insert Quote" button to add the text I am replying to but if it is a long thread over multiple pages I just reach some point where I can't go back further so that is the end for me. If I have not yet reached the comment I can't access the button. I don't see any way to go back further

Okay this disappeared - I deleted too much. Was Doc's post of 31 Dec at 10:09

For example in this thread this is the last comment I can access. If there is a way to get further back I am willing to try (Although as I have said before for me to learn something new I have to clear some space on my mental hard drive and my wife's birthday is Thursday so I hope that is not what I end up forgetting).
Howard Green

Magicman

High-lite and click on the quote bubble first, or click on quote if you want the entire post.  The quoted text will automatically open up a posting window even if it is several pages back.  ;D

If I want to attach multiple quotes, I may have to open another tab, open the FF, and then do some copy & paste back to the original tab.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

MM is a master sawyer and a computer genius!!! 8)

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Lynn (And others who PM'd me),

Thanks. I will keep that in mind next time this issue comes up.
Howard Green

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!