iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another pine flooring thread...

Started by shinnlinger, January 01, 2016, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

As I now look at my floor, and you can see it in the pics, I in fact did center nail the wider boards and they have not split.   A buddy of mine did a similar floor and countersunk screwed his floor down and plugged it.  I haven't been at his place in a bit but I will inquire if he has had any splitting.   A lot more work though IMO. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

fishfighter

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 03, 2016, 10:01:22 PM
I use 30lb roofing felt under the wood flooring helps with the creaks  .
Bruno

This is what I'm doing in my camp build in between sub flooring. I will be doing that also for the real floor.

shinnlinger

Today I got to sand a room.

I started with 100 grit but ended up going with 80  Next room I will start with 60 but 80 did leave some texture, which I like.

In the corners I used this little beast.
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Every once in a while you have to sink the nails a bit further.  The screws are for this areas where I needed a little more hold.

After running the sander in both directions I was pleased with the results.

So I vacuumed the dust and mixed up some tung oil.  I thinned with it roughly 25% solvent to help it penetrate.

Rolled on the first coat and made it pop!
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

isawlogs

I'm a big fan of rustic, really ike your floor!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

samandothers

Great Job!! 

That first coat made a world of difference.

Ox

Quote from: isawlogs on January 10, 2016, 09:28:05 PM
I'm a big fan of rustic, really ike your floor!!!
Me too!  I can't see how anybody would want fake, modern flooring.  Also it boggles me how people will carpet over nice hardwood floors.  Ugh.  Thanks again for taking the time to put up the pictures.  I'll be able to show the wife what good old fashioned flooring will look like in our addition.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

shinnlinger

I hit the floor with some more tung oil according to this site.  http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/tung-oil-wood-finishes/#howtouse
I'll let you know how it turns out next weekend when I head back up there...

Shinnlinger

sawmilllawyer

Floors look awesome!!! Great work. That tung oil really makes the floor character stand out.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

fishfighter

BUGGUTZ

WOW! Thats gorgeous, I really like it. You do good work. I am also very impressed with the downstairs floor. I like the 45 to break up the distance it looks great!
Everyone has to be somewhere.

cntryby

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Bruno of NH

Looks great Mr Shinn
I like pine floors they are under rated.
Any rustic wood floor look great .
Lots of old houses in NewEngland with just square edge boards . Old school .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

nh-dan

Great looking floor, we want to do something like that on our floors. We plan on putting up a post and beam in Canaan in a couple years. Not to hijack the thread, but how was the town when you went for your permit, and how were the inspections?
Thanks Dan
woodmizer lt20D, NewHolland TC23D

beenthere

nh
Are you thinking the town inspector would have a problem with what flooring is laid down? 

Or referring to the post and beam construction?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shinnlinger

Timberframes are ok in Canaan.   Pm sent. 
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

For this room, I started with 60 grit and worked it both ways and then followed up with 80.  It went faster but you can still see saw marks combined with almost too smooth, so I don't know if I like it as much.

But overall I am pleased...

My daughter snuck in and painted some trees on her walls between coats...

Shinnlinger

beenthere

Nice on the wall paintings. Helps take the eyes off the floor. She is a good artist.

Boards must have had some cup in them to not sand out the centers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brendonv

Your making me want to start a new project!  I really dont need pine floors in my shed tho :D

Looking great, i like the wall art too.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

WDH

Shinnlinger,

Not sure that you have noticed, but you have trees growing in your house.   :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

If I put down pine flooring will she come paint some trees on my wall?  ;D
Those tree look mighty alive. A super job!!!!!  Need a raccoon,squirrel or a deer looking out from behind one of those trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

If you look close, she snuck some chickadees and a wooly bear in there.  There is also a Cardinal but it didn't make this pic.  Not sure if she is done painting yet or not.  She wants me to put a loft in....
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!