iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Frick Restoration

Started by A10ECGent, November 20, 2012, 03:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A10ECGent

Hello all,

My name is Greg. I have been lurking and reading for quite a while now and finally have something to post. My brother and I have recently got a Frick 01 mill to restore and setup on our farm. We have looked at a lot of mills for the past several months and when we came across this one it was different from all of the Fricks we have seen. Everything looked heavier, so even though it needed some wood work we loaded it up and brought it home. My current pics aren't great ,but I sent these to Frickco for some help identifying it. Turns out it is a "turn of the century" Frick 01. The wonderful lady I spoke to on the phone told me that they only new of one other like it and they had just got it in their place. I will post better pics and follow up as we restore it. I'm sure I will have lots of questions as we go. I'm not sure yet how to add photos to the post but they are in my gallery.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

A10ECGent

A10ECGent

Holmes

A10ECGent welcome to the Forestry Forum. The pictures look great , you have an challenging project ahead , good luck.   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

123maxbars

WELCOME,

I would love to one day restore an old Frick, too many other things going on though. Keep us updated,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Greg.
Looks like a fun project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Welcome Greg,old mills are eternal and seem to last forever.I hope you got a saw with the mill their the most expensive piece to buy.Any idea what you will power it with.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Frick rebuild you say? I know a little something about that business  :)

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a wealth of knowledge here.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

A10ECGent

Yes we actually got two one 48" with I think he said Siemens pattern indert teeth and a 56" with hogue inserts. I cant be sure if the terms are right but he said the 48 teeth are common and the 56 teeth are obsolete but still available

ddcuning

As with Lee and I, it looks like you have your work cut out for you. Restoring and old Frick is a challenge but I believe well worth it in the end. I know I can't wait to see mine lop off the first slab.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Meadows Miller

Gday

Greg & Family Welcome to The Forum  ;) ;D 8) Its great to see anouther Circ been pressed back into service  Im looking forward to seeing the rebuild ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Greg,forgot their was talk of your saws before.No trouble with the Simonds bits and shanks,the letter series is their line. Simonds is now the only major player fordging bits.If you can find bits for your 56" saw it would be good form to buy now if your planning to use it much.Simonds has bought out the competition and quietly disscontinued their patterns.I've got an old Diston 48" saw with new shanks and a couple of sets of bits when their gone it will have to be a sign. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave_

Beautiful old mill, Greg.  I hope you take the time to paint her up perdy.  I love the casting of the feedworks sheave.  It certainly gives away her age! 

Look forward to seeing your progress.

A10ECGent

We do intend to make it look good as it is as much a preservation effort as it is a useful tool for us. We don't plan on making a business of it as we both are maintenance mechanics full time in a chemical plant. We have a spot on the farm that was just begging for a sawmill so we decided that since there is nothing like the sound of an old circ saw running that we would restore one for our use and to preserve a little history at the same time. What colors would a 1900 Frick be anyway?

Al_Smith

Ah yes the old Frick sawmill once the pride of Waynsboro Pa .Now home port to Landis grinders also an icon of the industry.

A10ECGent

Thanks all I am going to try to get some better pics this weekend. 123maxbars we arn't to far from each other, from your pin on the map looks like your across the street from my barber.

SPD748

Those mandrel bearings look to be babbit. Are you going to run those or convert to roller?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

A10ECGent

I am trying to find a set of roller bearings to replace the babbit. I have a lead on some near home. A local miller has another old mill overgrown with weeds, not much left usable but is supposed to have the right roller bearings and also has the model B setworks if his price is right I will upgrade both of those. If anybody on here has a set I may be interested if these fall through though.

Dave_

If you are wanting to restore this mill and aren't looking for big production, I wouldn't be afraid of the babbit.  If you keep them oiled and adjusted, they will run fine.  But I'm a little weird with the old stuff.  I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke" train of thought.

apm

Hi Gent,

I'm just outside Mountain City, in Butler, TN. Where are you putting this mill up?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

hardtailjohn

I'm with Dave.... those babbit bearings will do just fine, and they're already there! I've got 2 lathes here in the shop with them and as long as they're taken care of, they'll run just fine!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

A10ECGent

We will be setting it up in Yuma Virginia right across the state line between Kingsport TN and Gate City VA.

We don't mind running the babbit, but since we are taking it apart to clean up and paint we figured if we could find a set of rollers we would go ahead and swap them out for the long term durability

Thomas Ruga

A10: You will have nothing but fun setting the ol' girl up. We are in construction and use nothing but bearings at work. There is something comforting/nostalgic about using babbitt. Of course our Lane is still in her work clothes(early1900's).

Tom

Dave_

As most here already know, the problem with babbit bearings is that people tend to think that the oil fittings look like a zerk fittings so they cram them full of grease.  However, babbits run way better on oil.  Properly used, the babbit acts as a backing for the oil which is in reality the true bearing surface.  Grease alone can create hot spots and can break down the babbit fairly quickly.  It is not always obvious, because when greasing, there may seem to be adequate "squeeze out."  But, due to the heavier viscosity of the grease, it does not evenly saturate the entire surface of the shaft like oil.

Roller and ball bearings work well in grease because they are mechanically doing something entirely different than babbit.

Solomon

I probabley need it like I need a poke in the eye but I have a line on what I believe to be a Frick Mill.  It has not been run for twenty years and I don't really know anything about circle mills but it's been under cover in a sawing shed and looks to me to be in very good condition. And appears complete.
It looks like a Chevorlet 300 CID straight six gas motor.  I think I can make it run with a new carborator , plug wires, points and all that stuff.   Motor oil is clean, antifreeze is clean too.  will likely need seals.   This thing is calling my name.   Got any Idea what it worth $$$$$$?  Anybody?
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!